Mobile mechanic that does motorcycle safeties | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mobile mechanic that does motorcycle safeties

Viper_05

I remember there use to be a guy here that would come to your house and saftey the bike right there for you. Does he still do it? Or does anyone else know who can. I forget his name and this was back in 2004-5

Not legal, although some do it anyways, but I'd question the legitimacy as a result.

If it's still registered as "FIT" under the previous owners name you can get temp plates/sticker so long as it's insured and just ride it to a proper facility.

Either that, or a U-Haul motorcycle trailer can be had for $10/day.

Might as well find someone that will sell you a cert without looking at the bike if you don't care about it actually being safe

used to be able to get them for $100
back in the day

or find another way and stay safe

This is illegal? Lol has it always been that way? I had 2 safties done like this in the past and it was fine. Anyone recommend a good place? Im in Vaughan

Different certificate. Only certain shops can do it.

Common misconception. Same certificate. Any shop can do them, although technically some of the MC specific requirements (braking test from at least 30kph) would require a licensed (or at least experienced) rider on premises to accomplish. Again, doesn’t stop some places.

Common misconception. Same certificate. Any shop can do them, although technically some of the MC specific requirements (braking test from at least 30kph) would require a licensed (or at least experienced) rider on premises to accomplish. Again, doesn’t stop some places.
True. Technically I was denied at one place because their motorcycle guy wasn't in, not because the shop didn't do it.

This is illegal? Lol has it always been that way? I had 2 safties done like this in the past and it was fine. Anyone recommend a good place? Im in Vaughan

I'm interested in knowing this too. However, my location is Newmarket. Anyone have any idea ? Thanks

Illegal may be strong language

but it is the shop and business that are licensed inspection stations

so your house is not the place of business

risk to the guy doing it
is that if misses something
and there is an accident
because of it
he gets sued and license revoked

risk to the rider is crashing/injury
because he missed something

I'm interested in knowing this too. However, my location is Newmarket. Anyone have any idea ? Thanks

MC's SpeednChrome has a trailer and they can pick your bike up and take it to the shop or you can ride it there. They're at 400 and Mapleview in Barrie so not too far from you. Very reasonable prices and extremely knowledgable mechanics. (705) 721-RIDE.

MC's SpeednChrome has a trailer and they can pick your bike up and take it to the shop or you can ride it there. They're at 400 and Mapleview in Barrie so not too far from you. Very reasonable prices and extremely knowledgable mechanics. (705) 721-RIDE.
Thank you. Saved their number for when the time comes.

just curious. what does a motorcycle safety involve? wondering what kind of tools at a shop that you can't take to someone's house by car. Is this only some sort of zoning issue?

Not zoning. It's the way MTO does inspection station licensing.

Suppose for a bike there is no logical reason why it can't be done at a home. But it can't.

The program is 4 wheel vehicle driven.

They have to be done at a shop as the vehicle needs raised and wheels off.

just curious. what does a motorcycle safety involve? wondering what kind of tools at a shop that you can't take to someone's house by car. Is this only some sort of zoning issue?

I beleive you gotta have a motorcycle mechanic's license to perform the check...some one correct me if I'm wrong...

That, and it's required to be done at a licensed motor vehicle inspection station ... there should be a sign indicating thus at the mechanic's place of business.

Regulations don't necessarily have to make sense. They just "are" and that's the way it is.

That, and it's required to be done at a licensed motor vehicle inspection station ... there should be a sign indicating thus at the mechanic's place of business.

Regulations don't necessarily have to make sense. They just "are" and that's the way it is.

The motor vehicle inspection station # is assigned to the shop OWNER.
A fitness certificate must be signed off on by that person and the mechanic responsible, who must hold a 310G licence for motorcycle and a 310S (I think that's the designation?) for cars.
They may be, but aren't necessarily the same person.
If there's an issue and the Ministry investigates, it can mean big problems for all parties- fines and suspensions.
That's why its not worth it to mess around, do it right or not at all.

310G means you're a certified tradesperson for motorcycle maintenance.

I've said it time and time again that nowhere in the government docs or safety requirements does it specify anyone other than a licensed mechanic ("technician") is required to do a safety. There's no specific requirements to class of licence required.

Is it a good idea? Sure. A trained motorcycle tech is going to have a better idea what they're looking at specific to a motorcycle, but in the end...not required.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom