the auto show | GTAMotorcycle.com

the auto show

SunnY S

Site Supporter
Tesla stole the show for sure. They had a model 3 on display. Very impressive machine in the flesh (do other automakers put flush mount hidden cameras in the B pillars as well? never noticed this before) . It was nice to finally be able to sit and touch a Model X rather than viewing it on a platform. Incredible machine and seemingly well designed. I believe their impact on disrupting the industry will be greater than I originally though based on what I saw and experienced (tonnes of people and interest)

Other notable points :

-BMW and M-B have the most boring vehicles around. if you pulled the badges off the rear, 90% of the people there couldn't tell the difference of the models. They all look similar! Only their physical size is the obvious clue.

-Hydrogen Toyota Mirai on display, Looks way better in person, and far more upscale then the versions I've seen in the pics. It's not a cheap car, but at the very least, it has upscale intentions and trimmings to go with its price tag.

-Due to all the Volt/Bolt love in this forum, of course I had to check one out. Initial impressions are cramped interior, and cheap looking and only 4 seats (volt)?. The Front end of the volt with the shiny trimming looks plain cartoonish. The Bolt is the better of the two for sure. Please do yourself a favour and check out the Clarity! Far roomier, clearly better built and designed, and the interior is very classy and comfortable for 5 passengers.

-VW their interiors are very nicely appointed, caught my eye for sure.

-Mazda CX-9- I see why there are many accolades for this vehicle, seems like a very good effort from Mazda. Virtually all Mazda vehicles for North America consumption are made in Japan (I believe there is one variation model built for a specific market that isn't built in japan)

-Surprise of the show- Honda Ridgeline. First time I had a solid look at one. I want one! Ticks all the boxes. Right sized, roomy, versatile, clever in bed design with storage options, swinging OR dropdown tail gate for more function. all wheel drive, comfortable and modern interior, and reviews say it drives like an Accord. "do it all" vehicles really appeal to me. No its not a "real" truck, but for the way 90% of buyers use one, this one fits the bill.

-Alfa Romeo, best looking lineup at the show. beautiful designs.

-Mitsubishi? not sure why they showed up. their car line up is a disaster.

-Infiniti, really want to like these guys, love the exterior styling, can't stand the cramped interiors. these cars are made for little people.

-toyota/Lexus. great cars if you want to drive an appliance.

-Hyundai/Kia they were at the show? must have missed that one.

-Audi, nicest of the germans at the show, the R8 at $250g is simply silly, just get an NSX and save your self $100 large easily and get a better vehicle.

-Subaru- coolest thing I have ever seen, the oil filter (Outback or Forester engine?) resides on top of the engine with in easy reach in front of you. Easier to change than an air filter.

the above is purely subjective, enjoy the show!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.

I thought Mitsibishi was in a spiral dive on most counts but haven't looked at them for a while. I used to like their more aggressive front end looks.

I had a good look at a Volt in a showroom and liked most things about it except the price tag. For my personal economics it needs to be another $5K less expensive. Auntie Kathy, up the incentive another $10K and I'll vote Liberal. WTH, you're bribing everyone else.

You don't mention the big three. I assume you weren't impressed.

The Ridgeline already had all those nifty features, always was a pretty cool "truck".
Then they made it butt ugly. Give me the old body style any day.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments.

I thought Mitsibishi was in a spiral dive on most counts but haven't looked at them for a while. I used to like their more aggressive front end looks.

I had a good look at a Volt in a showroom and liked most things about it except the price tag. For my personal economics it needs to be another $5K less expensive. Auntie Kathy, up the incentive another $10K and I'll vote Liberal. WTH, you're bribing everyone else.

You don't mention the big three. I assume you weren't impressed.

Mitz is/was definitely on a downward spiral, I mean look at their car line up. just the horrid Mirage, and the vanilla Lancer. Nissan threw them a life line and acquired a 36% stake in this sinking ship. IT will be interesting to see what Nissan does with this, but it will be years before we see anything meaningful.

With the $14g incentive, the Volt is much more palatable, but like I said, check out the Clarity, benefits from 14g incentive as well, and is light years better then the Volt in many areas. comparing the 2 at the same show really helps. Sitting in the Volt felt like I was in a penalty box. The Clarity was airy and expansive and supremely comfortable.

As for the Big 3.... they have a decent product if you like..... Trucks. their car effort is dismal. Chevy has a bunch of Crapboxes (Spark anyone?), and would you really buy a Dodge sedan today? they only offer a Charger. A company like Honda offers a Fit, Civic, Accord, Accord Hybrid, Clarity and soon Insight. Toyota the Yaris, Corolla, Camry, Camry Hybrid, Avalon.

Last edited:
Ranger was on the turntable and untouchable, looks good in real life. Needless to say Ford will sell a tonne of these.

Thanks for the heads up. I wanted to sit in one.
If the rdx was just a penalty box, I'd keep it. It's more of a torture chamber after 45 minutes.

Thanks for the heads up. I wanted to sit in one.
If the rdx was just a penalty box, I'd keep it. It's more of a torture chamber after 45 minutes.

apart from the TLX, MDX, and NSX, the rest of the lineup needs help for sure.

thankfully the RDX was totally redesigned and at the show. Preliminary reviews are extremely positive.

if you favour the new Ranger, give the Ridgeline a good look. Its seriously impressive. I was completely caught off guard at how handy and useful a truck like this could be. its not just a pilot with a bed, its actually beefed up for truck duty but still has a great ride. and it still does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds, not bad for a truck.

Last edited:
apart from the TLX, MDX, and NSX, the rest of the lineup needs help for sure.

thankfully the RDX was totally redesigned and at the show. Preliminary reviews are extremely positive.

if you favour the new Ranger, give the Ridgeline a good look. Its seriously impressive. I was completely caught off guard at how handy and useful a truck like this could be. its not just a pilot with a bed, its actually beefed up for truck duty but still has a great ride. and it still does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds, not bad for a truck.

I took a Ridgeline out within a week of the new model arrival. Sadly, there's NO difference. The cockpit is exactly the same as the rdx. Good, sometimes great, at everything except driving position / seating comfort.

I know you had a full size previously. Guess the new F150s don't cut it? I can see the Ranger not being much cheaper than an F150 but I believe you get "more Truck" and likely a better deal with the mass scale of these.

Don't you mean Tata?

No not really. Not sure where you got that from.

As far as I can tell. The Ranger we will see here is was designed and built by Ford Australia. They've been selling the same version there for a few years now.

The US version will get some beefed up frame improvements.

As far as I can tell. The Ranger we will see here is was designed and built by Ford Australia. They've been selling the same version there for a few years now.

thought they were 100% owned by Tata. My mistake I guess.

If it's similar to the Ranger they sell in Mexico, that's an awesome looking truck.

Do they still hound you at every display to take their ipad surveys?

I went last year, Tesla was absent, as were all of the exotic brands that go to most other major auto shows, that was disappointing. Like a Canada doesn't matter kind of smite. As for the Bolt and Volt, I made sure to look at those too, and I was disappointed by the cheapness, but not surprised. GM is notorious for poor build quality, poor material quality, and when coupling that with their reputation for poor engineering, it's not a good equation.

Audi has had my attention for a while. Personally I really like the R8, it's like a Lamborghini with sleeker styling, literally. If I win Max on Friday, I'll likely have a verde mantis Huracan spyder, and an R8 V10 in my line-up.

BMW and MB have always carried their styling throughout their lines, with few exceptions. The badges are more for trim levels and engines than anything else. Generally with MB, the letter is the model class and the number is the level. I used to like BMW alot more, but in the last few years I've liked MB quite a bit more. The i8 was a massive disappointment, and I'd currently take absolutely any AMG over any M car.

Do they still hound you at every display to take their ipad surveys?

of course, but trust me on this, you won't mind the Alfa Romeo girls hounding you. they are models shipped from Quebec. dont ask me how I know.

. As for the Bolt and Volt, I made sure to look at those too, and I was disappointed by the cheapness, but not surprised. GM is notorious for poor build quality, poor material quality, and when coupling that with their reputation for poor engineering, it's not a good equation.

Same conclusion. over rated vehicles, all plasticky and interior was cramped. Bolt was the better of the two for sure. I'd be all over the Clarity over the Volt. Light years better.

Lots to comment on but most notable is how GM chose to show off their abysmal "Redline" package on EVERY vehicle they brought. Most ridiculous looking factory package I have seen. From Cruze, to Traverse to Silverado's and Camaro's...gack!!!!!!!

1485917673105.jpg

Chevrolet-Red-Line-Series-concept-1051-626x382.jpg

Got cheese? Whoever OK'd this at GM needs their head examined.

I know you had a full size previously. Guess the new F150s don't cut it? I can see the Ranger not being much cheaper than an F150 but I believe you get "more Truck" and likely a better deal with the mass scale of these.

When I sold the Accord, I realized how bloated it was for everyday use (personally), so I got the rdx when the new model arrived.
Australia? The ranger is going to be built in Michigan. No raptor version until maybe year two. Only one available engine for now - 2.0L EB.
I'll be the 1st, or 2nd buyer, as long as the comfort level is better than my current ride.

Back
Top Bottom