Looking to get a supermoto/enduro | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to get a supermoto/enduro

It's for trails

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

It would be a relatively good option for trails. I share Scuba Steve's thoughts that it is priced too high and I personally wouldn't buy either the Italian or BMW husky's. It's not that I think they are bad bikes but at some point parts support for them is going to fall off...they are getting up there in age so it wouldn't surprise me if that happened sort of soon.

The blue plate is nice to have for sure but that is really an off road bike so unless you live very close to the trails you plan to ride it's a bike that you would want to trailer. If your okay with trailering I would look at something like KTM 200 2 stroke which is a great off road bike. Manageable as a beginner off-road and something that will keep working great for you as your skills develop.

If you need a bike you can ride to the trails and for regular street riding then a Yamaha Wr250r would be a good choice.

Yamaha WR250 and Husky TE250 go head to head, brand loyalists might say "mine is better", each has their own advantages. DR and CRF KLX are capable off road but less MX oriented. [FONT=OpenSansRegular, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]

Also, TE250 and WR250 are not a 'blue plate' bikes,
[/FONT]they are factory built to be plated for the street.
Te250 and a wr250r do not go head to head. One look at specs will tell you that. The te250 is an enduro racer with lights. The wr250r is a small street bike with knobbies. Compare the service intervals.
The wr250r is a fantastic dual sport, it is not a performance race bike.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Te250 and a wr250r do not go head to head. One look at specs will tell you that. The te250 is an enduro racer with lights. The wr250r is a small street bike with knobbies. Compare the service intervals.
The wr250r is a fantastic dual sport, it is not a performance race bike.

Thanks

It would be a relatively good option for trails. I share Scuba Steve's thoughts that it is priced too high and I personally wouldn't buy either the Italian or BMW husky's. It's not that I think they are bad bikes but at some point parts support for them is going to fall off...they are getting up there in age so it wouldn't surprise me if that happened sort of soon.

The blue plate is nice to have for sure but that is really an off road bike so unless you live very close to the trails you plan to ride it's a bike that you would want to trailer. If your okay with trailering I would look at something like KTM 200 2 stroke which is a great off road bike. Manageable as a beginner off-road and something that will keep working great for you as your skills develop.

If you need a bike you can ride to the trails and for regular street riding then a Yamaha Wr250r would be a good choice.
Thanks

As stated, all of the guys who turn their 250's into supermotos spend all their money putting what is already on the TE 250 stock. They even come with Brembo brakes stock. You get a lot for your money. The European Husqvarna's ship with an Akaprovic exhaust and race map. ZipTy Racing on CafeHusky.com has taken up the slack of the transition of the company through BMW by making race quality aftermarket parts. They don't use many parts tho. And they're super easy to work on.

There's a guy on YouTube, Dangermouse, who takes his TE 449 to hell and back through 7000 km's. They are very well built.

I was lucky enough to get a couple of the BMW Husqvarna's, they are unbreakable. There's a few tweeks needed at the beginning of their lives as they're plugged up to pass emissions, but unplug them and they are street legal beasts.

Don't listen to the posts on here that the Japanese 250's are competitors for the TE 250, the TE 250 is a race bike with lights and signals. Watch the pounding Dangermouse takes his through:

https://youtu.be/CB9n1BohPxM

I'm a fan and I'm on here pumping Japanese sportbikes all the time.

Whatever you choose, good luck, get proper gear, and ride / learn at your own pace. Riding offroad is the best seguay to street riding.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

7000 kms is now the benchmark for reliability?

7000 kms is now the benchmark for reliability?
You have to understand euro bikes.
I know many guys who trailer their ktm 450 and 530 everywhere to save the engine for trail use.
If you go on the ODSC forum it's mostly dual sport guys who ride their dual sports not trailer. There is a reason most of them ride Japanese.
I've had both. Trailered my ktm to every event and mostly raced it. My needs have changed. I want to explore backroads, possibly camping up north. This will involve alot of gravel roads, trails and single track. I currently value reliability and longevity over outright performance. I bought a drz400e that is blue plated.

Parts for Italian Huskies are very expensive when OE. Fortunately there's a decent aftermarket. Not so many youtube videos and online help overall though.
I'd say, if you are not afraid of a bit of wrenching then go for it. That would be an excellent dirt oriented dual sport as long as you live nearby trails.

I'm debating selling my TE450 and getting a Japanese DS just because I live all the way down south in Clarkson, Mississauga and currently don't own a trailer. Either that or I'll get a trailer but then I'm basically never parking my car in the garage again (not enough space).

Fun bike, but high strung if you are brand new, but you can grow into it (G2 throttle tamer)
Top ends are great on the Te after they have been set they stay pretty stable.
This will not be a quiet bike, it eats exhaust packing fast and remember it is a race bike in sheeps clothing.
The gearing will keep you off the street, you will be pulling 10,000 rpms to do like 90km, not good with stock gears.
Great for connecting forests like SCORRA areas. Otherwise will eat the knobs fast on pavement.
We have a 310 and it has been solid. Parts are thinning out but still out there. Call Rob Lang, Lang's off road with questions
he will probable have to do the service on it (and he probable put the bike together when it was new).

Looks like the seat has been shaved down, it will be hard as a rock!
Side decals are gone in the other pictures too,
Don't expect that playboy model in the first picture!

Back
Top Bottom