Extended bike warranties | GTAMotorcycle.com

Extended bike warranties

jc100

Are they worth it? My OEM warranty period is nearly up and a 4y extended warranty is $1400 (Integrated Warranty Systems). I'm currently trying to see if this will cover electronically adjustable suspension components but it seems it may not. I have a KTM Super Adventure and some user groups have posted the occasional issue with the suspension.

Anyone got one and used it? Easy claim process?

Used to get the extra warranty on vehicles

never realized a single claim from any of them

so I stopped doing it

but I've always had reliable Jap bikes

and change cars frequently emough that it's no needed

if I owned a European bike with gagdets

would probably rethink that

Never purchased an extended warranty and in 40+ years of cars, bikes and various consumer products have never had an occasion where a claim would have been filed. I research purchases and stay away from brands with poor reliability. So far so good.

A few people I know have had unresolved issues with third party extended warranty companies for coverage for their cars. Seemingly arbitrary denials and endless delays, poor response time for claims etc...... Read the contract very thoroughly and make certain you understand exactly what is covered, what is not, what you have to do to keep the policy in effect and how the claims and approval process works. The onus is 100% on you to be in compliance.

I bought for the TDI as some were have HPFP failures and resultant $10,000 repair bills. So far only used it for an A/C comp that failed so I am still in the hole financially. Getting warranty to pay was painless.

Normally I say no and I probably will go this way again in the future. If you normally get repairs done at dealership then it may be worth it, but if you normally do things yourself or at a third party shop, the money you paid for the warranty covers a lot of repairs.

You bring up the electronic suspension, so maybe in your case it is worth it? How much is that repair and how often is it required?

Does the extended warranty require you to have your bike serviced at the dealership? If so, add the extra cost of not doing it yourself (or at an independent shop) to your $1,400. Also, dealerships often have delays for service (sorry, we can't fit you in for 2 weeks). I have never taken an extended warranty and never had cause to regret that choice.

If you look at it from a pure economics point of view -- no, your total cost of ownership will not decrease with an Extended Warranty. If it comes for free with the bike - take it, if you have to pay -- not likely worth it.

This is especially true for Euro bikes as the service, repair and maintenance costs are considerably higher than Japanese & US bikes. Your lowest TCO on a Euro bike is best when you sell/renew at the end of the standard warranty period -- it's cheaper to renew the bike than absorb the depreciation and extended warranty/or future repair costs.

I just have to follow the maintenance schedule for the bike or be able to prove I have. The warranty isn’t dealer specific but warranty work has to be performed at an accredited shop. If they don’t cover the electronic suspension components I might say no. I like the idea of a warranty on the bike but I do realize these are money makers for the dealerships too.

For a bike, I figure it'd get stolen, sold off or damaged from something non-warranty related before paying for extra warranty is worth it. Also depends on how much and what is covered.

Last time I bought eye glasses, they had a "crush" warranty. There was value in it but I declined since I was betting on losing them before I step on them.
....I ended up losing them before breaking them.

I only know 2 guys with KTM's, both Adventure models. Both have purchased and needed to use their extended warranties. If it were Japanese I'd tell you you're wasting your money.

Back
Top Bottom