Hard time finding affordable stand alone insurance | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hard time finding affordable stand alone insurance

Newmarket, for whatever reason seems to have good rates, from whom I chatted up about this.
I'm in Newmarket, and still having a hard time finding affordable standalone SS insurance. Quoted over 4k despite being in my late 20s. Tried everywhere possible.

Last edited:
I'm in Brampton, with sport bikes, insured through Dalton Timmis. I just got my renewal slips. Rates didn't change appreciably from last year. 2004 ZX10R liability only, $844 per year but with a significant multi-bike discount and multi-line discount (house, car). But, I'm fiftysomething and have been riding for an eternity.

The potentially bad thing for next year is that late last year I had a storm-damage claim, and then a couple of days ago an old lady made an improper right turn while I was making an advanced-green-arrow left, and she hit my car. (In front of a cop, too!) I know none of these are "at fault" and they're not supposed to affect your ratings, but one can only wonder. The collision happened in Belleville.

Try Riderplus. I have 3 policies with Aviva and my insurance is still cheaper with riderplus

Riders plus was 3 times what I'm paying now with Dalton Timmis/Aviva.

I know none of these are "at fault" and they're not supposed to affect your ratings, but one can only wonder. The collision happened in Belleville.

Pretty sure it's law that you can't have your premium increased because of 100% not at fault situations, so I wouldn't worry too much. We've had more than a few not at fault claims over the years and never had an issue with our premiums changing even the slightest as a result.

I'm in Brampton, with sport bikes, insured through Dalton Timmis. I just got my renewal slips. Rates didn't change appreciably from last year. 2004 ZX10R liability only, $844 per year but with a significant multi-bike discount and multi-line discount (house, car). But, I'm fiftysomething and have been riding for an eternity.

The potentially bad thing for next year is that late last year I had a storm-damage claim, and then a couple of days ago an old lady made an improper right turn while I was making an advanced-green-arrow left, and she hit my car. (In front of a cop, too!) I know none of these are "at fault" and they're not supposed to affect your ratings, but one can only wonder. The collision happened in Belleville.

Hey Brian,

Sorry to hear about your luck.

You should be ok for you auto insurance although the fault rules for claims are a mystery.

Generally speaking, they not touch your premiums but, disqualify you for a discount or two.

All depends on the insurance company and not a damn thing you can do until you get the renewal.

I’m shopping now and it’s crazy how different quotes can be from one place to the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a relative that lives outside the city just change your driver's license to their house and your rates will drop. Your license address is just a reference to send mail when you need to go to court and has nothing to do with you living there the cop will just ask is this where your mail goes. If you get into an accident in Brampton just say you were going to a cruise night. Just my experience and getting lower rates

If you have a relative that lives outside the city just change your driver's license to their house and your rates will drop. Your license address is just a reference to send mail when you need to go to court and has nothing to do with you living there the cop will just ask is this where your mail goes. If you get into an accident in Brampton just say you were going to a cruise night. Just my experience and getting lower rates

lol great idea. Can't imagine why they'd have an issue doing that rofl

Yeah, don’t do this.

It’s called material misrepresentation, and if they find out they’ll cancel you. Good luck finding new insurance with a cancellation on your record.

And if you ever actually need your insurance, they’ll not only cancel you, but they’ll leave you holding the bag financially.

Not sure about how the storm damage claim will work, but the car if you've been deemed not at fault, your rates shouldn't change.

I'm on an equivalent 1000c bike of the same year as you and with another bike (2 bikes total), 2 cars, and a house. My rate for the 1000cc was $800 last year, but both bikes have gone up $200 this year - cars unchanged. I think I may give riders plus a call to see what they quote. Most importantly, how they deal with claims is super important. I'm not looking to recoup the $400 extra I'm spending only to have a nightmare experience should a claim arise. I was in an accident a couple years ago and Allstate was a complete pleasure to deal with, so it would be tough to leave them.

Does anyone have claims experience with Riders Plus or Aviva (two I'm considering ATM)?

Explain pls ... Gov't needs more money? ... like they are getting part of the revenue my insurance company is charging me? ... or what exactly is this connection? Through corporate taxes? ... higher insurance company revenue, higher taxes they will pay? .. Really? Where is the guarantee of that?
Yes they do. Insurance companies have a transfer agreement with the Province, part of your premium goes to Ontario -- they are in cahoots over rates. Both work together through the FSCO to maximize rates and transfers to the province.

Thanks McGinty and Wynne for this.

Riders plus was 3 times what I'm paying now with Dalton Timmis/Aviva.

Pretty sure it's law that you can't have your premium increased because of 100% not at fault situations, so I wouldn't worry too much. We've had more than a few not at fault claims over the years and never had an issue with our premiums changing even the slightest as a result.
Nope. Insurance companies have no laws governing who or what they insure. They can charge any amount and refuse to cover anyone.

Yes they do. Insurance companies have a transfer agreement with the Province, part of your premium goes to Ontario

Can you post something to factually back up your claim on this? I don’t believe that’s true.

Nope. Insurance companies have no laws governing who or what they insure. They can charge any amount and refuse to cover anyone.

You responded out of context to my comments. I said nothing about whether you can or cannot be refused insurance, I stated that insurance companies cannot increase your premiums as a result of a not at fault claim.

And yes, although insurance companies may deny some potential customers, everybody in the province of Ontario is legally entitled to insurance – it may be through the facility association in the end, but they can get it.

Back
Top Bottom