Catching People Texting and Driving | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Catching People Texting and Driving

I've reported people via blue tooth while driving in the car. I have both the local detachment and OPP detachment on my phone. My brother-in-law is a Peel Region Constable and told me that it is better to report them as driving erratically and that you suspect impaired driving. According to him, most officers won't take the time to look for a vehicle reported of distracted driving but many will look for a vehicle suspected of impaired driving if they're in the area.

Either way, there isn't a big chance of the driver getting caught. Some officers will take the time to track down the number for said reported driver and give them an un-official warning stating that a concerned citizen reported them driving erratically and that they should be more cautious in the future. Happened to my Dad once when he was speeding a lot.

Yes, I think that is a good call on your part and frustrating. Thank you for your effort.
Whenever, I get a chance I will tell them to get off the phone. Excuses, "I am at the traffic lights and that`s OK" "Just a short call" "None of your business" etc. It is our lives and they think it is safe. Till somebody gets hurt or killed then they say "Opps I didn't`t mean to kill you, or maim you, Sorry my bad.
I say put them in prison, so the punishment matches the crime. Minimum 3 months. Why not? They are committing a crime.
Hopefully, that will change who wants to still text?

Last edited:
I've reported people via blue tooth while driving in the car. I have both the local detachment and OPP detachment on my phone. My brother-in-law is a Peel Region Constable and told me that it is better to report them as driving erratically and that you suspect impaired driving. According to him, most officers won't take the time to look for a vehicle reported of distracted driving but many will look for a vehicle suspected of impaired driving if they're in the area. Either way, there isn't a big chance of the driver getting caught. Some officers will take the time to track down the number for said reported driver and give them an un-official warning stating that a concerned citizen reported them driving erratically and that they should be more cautious in the future. Happened to my Dad once when he was speeding a lot.
Why not just say you saw a gun and there were shots fired? {sarcasm} I'm sure they'd get there even faster. Geez, no wonder the citizens and police don't trust each other.

Really simple solution:

If moving: get their attention, make some kind of gesture to put cell phone away. If they don't listen, escalate and run if you feel the need to play hero.

If stopped: Knock on their window. Tell them "hey, I'd really appreciate if you stop using your phone because my brother was killed by someone who did that." It may be a lie, but this should send a strong message. If they escalate it, then you do the same (you're wearing full gear right? lol).

It's not unrealistic to say that someone texting while driving is driving erratically. Most of the time they have trouble staying in their lanes, have trouble maintaining speed and come close to rear ending other vehicles. The point is many officers won't take the time to look for a specific vehicle just to lay down a ticket, but a possible charge of impaired driving is worth their time. Who knows, worst case scenario is they catch them on the phone and give them a ticket. Maybe while pulling them over they find they have unpaid tickets, maybe their smoking something they shouldn't be while driving (lord knows I've seen and smelled that as a pedestrian as they pass me with their windows are open), maybe they notice a cracked windshield, bald tires etc etc. The point is to get the cops moving and hopefully catch them. Even up here in Peterborough, you could catch enough drivers on phones to warrant a dedicated pair of officers working Mon-Fri 9am-5pm on Lansdowne St. I have no problem filling the public coffers on the backs of these careless drivers.

This kid flips off a cop for texting while driving. Cops are the biggest offenders. It's a thought problem to enforce when those charged with enforcement are doing the same...

https://youtu.be/W7PkGGUB-gU

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

This kid flips off a cop for texting while driving. Cops are the biggest offenders. It's a thought problem to enforce when those charged with enforcement are doing the same...

https://youtu.be/W7PkGGUB-gU

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Cops got an exemption from the law because of their magical driving abilities. One of the dumber things I have seen politicians do (which is saying a lot).

油井緋色;2547357 said:
Really simple solution: If stopped: Knock on their window. Tell them "hey, I'd really appreciate if you stop using your phone because my brother was killed by someone who did that." It may be a lie, but this should send a strong message. If they escalate it, then you do the same (you're wearing full gear right? lol).
Best move I ever saw went like that. Some kid was riding beside me along Hwy 7 last fall, I didn't know him. A small Hyundai drifted across lanes and nearly clipped me, the driver was texting. At the next light (why 7 and Warden) the kid got off his bike, stepped over to the window of the still texting driver. He reached in, pulled her keys from the ignition then pitched them into the grass.

We both rode off.

Cops got an exemption from the law because of their magical driving abilities.

Has it ever occurred to you that they simply couldn't possibly do their job effectively without that exemption?

Listen, I know that sometimes the police themselves may "drive erratically" while poking away at their computer or (gasp!) talking on a handheld communication device, but if they were heading somewhere to help YOU during an emergency, would you rather their hands be tied having to stop on the side of the road first, or trying to work with some hopelessly frustrating and time consuming voice activated BS alternately?

Has it ever occurred to you that they simply couldn't possibly do their job effectively without that exemption?

Listen, I know that sometimes the police themselves may "drive erratically" while poking away at their computer or (gasp!) talking on a handheld communication device, but if they were heading somewhere to help YOU during an emergency, would you rather their hands be tied having to stop on the side of the road first, or trying to work with some hopelessly frustrating and time consuming voice activated BS alternately?

I have no problem with them using such a device in the course of their duties (although they could also do what every other company was forced to do and develop systems that allow hands-free data exchange and/or use the device while stopped if it is not immediately required). My problem is that it is treated as a complete exemption and listening to a cop chat to their girlfriend at a red light just increases the us vs them mentality.

They should issue department phones that are bright orange and that's what is allowed to be used while driving. Your personal iphone is subject to the same laws as everybody else. This makes following up on misuse complaints incredibly easy as the department would have all usage data available.

This kid flips off a cop for texting while driving. Cops are the biggest offenders. It's a thought problem to enforce when those charged with enforcement are doing the same... https://youtu.be/W7PkGGUB-gU Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Not even near the GTA, is it? Why do people pull stuff from all over the world, and then make out like it happens here every day?

Last edited:
Cops are the same everywhere. Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Yeeep. Everyone's the same everywhere. We should be arming ourselves with more guns, and locking our doors.

Just read they upped the penalties for distracted driving as of Jan 15.

1st offense: 3 day suspension and $1,000 fine
2nd offense: 7 day suspension and $2,000 fine
3rd offense: 30 day suspension and $3,000 fine and 6 points

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/01/15/ontario-distracted-driving-laws/

I'm down with this. Personally I'd like to see them take 3 points for those committing a second offence as well. I can't even begin to guess what the premium increases will be when the
insurance company finds out you received a 3 day suspension, never mind a 7 day or 30 day!

Just read they upped the penalties for distracted driving as of Jan 15.

1st offense: 3 day suspension and $1,000 fine
2nd offense: 7 day suspension and $2,000 fine
3rd offense: 30 day suspension and $3,000 fine and 6 points

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/01/15/ontario-distracted-driving-laws/

It seems those penalties are not effective as of yet, just a proposed law that will come in to effect in the future.

The article here (revised Jan 30 2018 ) has still shows the old penalties: https://www.ontario.ca/page/distracted-driving

Drivers with A to G licences

If you have an A, B, C, D, E, F and/or G licence, you’ll face bigger penalties when convicted of distracted driving:

• a fine of $490, if settled out of court (includes a victim surcharge and the court fee)
  • a fine of up to $1,000 if a summons is received or if you fight the ticket in court and lose
  • three demerit points
Novice drivers

If you hold a G1, G2, M1 or M2 licence, and are convicted of distracted driving, you’ll face the same fines as drivers with A to G licences. But you won’t receive any demerit points.
Instead of demerit points you’ll face:

• a 30-day licence suspension for a first conviction
  • a 90-day licence suspension for a second conviction
  • cancellation of your licence and removal from the Graduated Licensing System (GLS) for a third conviction
    • to get your licence back you’d have to redo the GLS program

It's a bit weird that a search only turns up citynews as a news source for the proposed changes over a month later.

insurance company finds out you received a 3 day suspension, never mind a 7 day or 30 day!

Depends on how the suspension is rated - penalty, or procedural.

For example, a licence suspension because you didn't pay a parking ticket is not treated by insurance the same as a suspension because you got a DUI. The former doesn't effect your rates, the latter...yeah, very much so.

Nothing will happen. It's just like a red light camera, the ticket goes to the owner but there is no evidence on who was actually driving, so there are no demerit points awarded. But that is a city/law enforcement camera and the authority is there to issue a fine. There can always be the contention that a private GoPro video and software can always alter something, so would be easily thrown out of court, if it even went that far.

But good attempt to make this something you would like to right. The way I feel about texting while driving, is to haul the offender out of their car and beat the living daylights out of them, or shoot them if I were American, before they kill an innocent person(s). But then on further reflection, since I live in a civilized country that promotes that nice neighbour to the north image, I probably wouldn't.:angel2:

Back
Top Bottom