Riding trails with ice tires? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding trails with ice tires?

Owen

So this ice thing is new to me. I've been out 3-4 times this season on a frozen pond in a variety of conditions.

Was wondering if the cold cutter George Jones tires are suitable on snowmobile trails? Will that damage the tires/spikes? Or should just regular dirt tires be used instead?

So this ice thing is new to me. I've been out 3-4 times this season on a frozen pond in a variety of conditions.

Was wondering if the cold cutter George Jones tires are suitable on snowmobile trails? Will that damage the tires/spikes? Or should just regular dirt tires be used instead?

I think the snowmobilers will do more damage to you for riding on their groomed trails than what your tires will incur. I'm pretty sure that the trails are legally off limits to all but properly documented snowmobile club members on snowmobiles, so no bikes, ATV's, horses or cross-country skiers. They police this vigorously.

Best to stay on the ice, and likely more fun.

Not the answer to your question but riding a dirt bike on the snowmobile trails is going to be highly frowned upon. I believe you can be charged with trespassing.

Not the answer to your question but riding a dirt bike on the snowmobile trails is going to be highly frowned upon. I believe you can be charged with trespassing.
You can and will be ticketed. Ask me how I know. Cost me $720.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

It will be happening this sunday at the GP de Snow.Most of the bikes in the MX and scramble are studded.All the demo husky's are too.

Pretty sure I took my street bike on street tires through one of these snowmobile trails in the summer around the shelburne area.

Guessing they dont care in the summer?

Pretty sure I took my street bike on street tires through one of these snowmobile trails in the summer around the shelburne area.

Guessing they dont care in the summer?

Trails through private land may or may not be legally accessible during the summer. Some landowners allow sleds but don't allow summer access (mainly due to the atv's/bike riders being aholes and tearing up areas away from the trail).

Okay, maybe "snowmobile trail" isn't the right word for what is near my house. More of random dirt trails and not actual snowmobile trails.

And you'll dull your studs if you ride the dirt with them. Expensive set of tires to screw up in a couple rides.

That was the answer I was looking for.

So it'll be a pass for me.

Trails through private land may or may not be legally accessible during the summer. Some landowners allow sleds but don't allow summer access (mainly due to the atv's/bike riders being aholes and tearing up areas away from the trail).

there were no barriers to entry, or any signs, i just followed a dirt road till it turned to gravel with twisties, eventually i saw little trail markers that had snowmobiles on them, but nothing to suggest I was where I should not have been

You mention by your house. If your location is correct there isn't any legal trails near the Hamilton area any time of year.

Last edited:
Not really Haldimand but there might be a small section of St. Williams forest (Turkey point) that still has some legal dirt bike trails in the summer months. I haven't rode there because it's supposed to be really small so never really looked into it. Again like most public trail systems I imagine it's closed to dirt bikes this time of year.

Your kind of stuck to the ice this time of year or the event that Wingboy mentioned is in Campbellville this weekend. That would probably be worth checking out. He has a thread in the general section with some more info about it.

And you'll dull your studs if you ride the dirt with them. Expensive set of tires to screw up in a couple rides.

This! I'll ride it on snow over grass, but walk it thru snow over hard gravel or asphalt.

Not really Haldimand but there might be a small section of St. Williams forest (Turkey point) that still has some legal dirt bike trails in the summer months. I haven't rode there because it's supposed to be really small so never really looked into it. Again like most public trail systems I imagine it's closed to dirt bikes this time of year.

Your kind of stuck to the ice this time of year or the event that Wingboy mentioned is in Campbellville this weekend. That would probably be worth checking out. He has a thread in the general section with some more info about it.

Thanks! I think i'll just wait until the parks open in the spring if I can't get on the ice again this winter. Looks like stuff will start melting soon.

I'll be away this weekend otherwise I'd check that event out.

Where do they actually ride on that property? From photos of previous years, it looks like a big field beside the 401? Is this isn't a regular place to go riding or just a one time deal for the event?

you need to ride on unmanaged trails, the further north you go the better the chance of finding. the association hasn't got a complete monopoly yet but they're working on it...regular good old knobbies work pretty good on packed trails.
edit when I say "packed trails" I just mean trails that have been packed from the sleds going over them.

Last edited:
Thanks! I think i'll just wait until the parks open in the spring if I can't get on the ice again this winter. Looks like stuff will start melting soon.

I'll be away this weekend otherwise I'd check that event out.

Where do they actually ride on that property? From photos of previous years, it looks like a big field beside the 401? Is this isn't a regular place to go riding or just a one time deal for the event?

I didn't go to last years so any info I have is stolen from Wingboy and his thread. You're right it is in a field grass track type of set up but I believe there is an optional trail loop through the woods on the property there. It isn't normally a riding area but the same group also put on a Grand Prix de mud in the summer. It's a bit of a long shot right now but if I end up going this weekend I'll report back for future reference.

Boyoboy, I'm sure there's spots here and there but I don't know of any crown land up north that I'd be pointing people in that direction to go ride. If you know of any I'm all ears more so for the summer months if I'm ever up that way at a cottage or whatever. This time of year I would probably rather just ride a sled.

Back
Top Bottom