When will OPP ticket left-lane hogs???? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

When will OPP ticket left-lane hogs????

When I learned how to ride we told to ride in the outside lanes because it was safer as you only had defend/worry about one side.

The biggest problem with drivers is they were taught how to pass the test. They are NOT taught how to drive.
Who remembers the imposed HOV lanes on the 401 and QEW a couple of years ago. What a shitshow. The "professional" truckers were the worst.
On the autobahn failure to move to the right is 4 points and a few hundred dollar fine. Two of those charges you lose your license for at least a year.
B.C. it is a couple of points and a couple hundred bucks. Same in California, but in Cali you can get charged for failing to yield to cars merging onto the highway from the right.

My favorites are the idiots that are afraid to pass trucks on the highway, so they get up on the trailers bumper and sit there. About the most UNSAFE place on the highway to be.

It seems to me we don't get enforcement on stuff like this because it calls for a judgment call from the officer. The officer will have to defend his "opinion" in court. On a speeding charge the officer has a empirical measurement.

The most unsafe place to be is in front of a truck, second unsafest is next to one. This is because of the effect mass has on acceleration and braking. If your in front of a truck and they don’t have enough braking distance for whatever reason, guess who turns into a pancake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaving the left lane for passing on the highway is fine when it's little traffic, but around the GTA in rush hour, all lanes are needed and filled.
Kinda agreed. Even it is frustrating when someone hangs in a left lane as you think there is space in a right one. The point that you behind him and cannot see clearly situation in front of him. If you think you can - you should cool down your self-confidence - it's not a best choice for the road to predict instead of seeing.
If someone is going 110 in a left lane (which is 10kph over speed limit in Ontario) - it's your own problem that you are blasting 130-140 - it is illegal in Ontario.
The traffic rules in ON might be not perfect, but getting frustrated that somebody prevents you to brake them...

Stay cool on the road and drive/rise safe. Saving 5 minutes might cost a bit more than you expect ?

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

They give out drivers licences far too easily. Testing should be far more stringent and rely on far more realistic driving situations in lieu of parallel parking or mirror checks every 5 seconds etc. Real world driving etiquette, courteousness, road rage management are all aspects undervalued imho. Happy Apexes.

If I am in the left lane it is to pass. If I see you coming up behind me quickly I will increase my speed to complete my pass. If you proceed to ride my bumper I will attempt to get out of the left lane. But I guarantee it might take me a kilometer to do it, turn signal on and very very slowly making my way to the right. So slowly in fact that some decide that they cant wait and take to the left shoulder. The smile you get from me is because I just delayed you ten seconds. And that my rearview cam has recorded your license plate six inches off my bumper at 130 kph.

The test needs to be stricter and more difficult. In the UK test if you parked on a two way street opposite an already parked car you failed because you had blocked traffic down to one lane. Things like that are just courteous behaviour and help traffic flow. Left lane hogging is a similar thing.

Most of the time I'm the one that wants to get somewhere, even if I don't, hate sitting in traffic, so I let them by and let them be the rabbit at a distance.

I like the idea BC has put in place -- even if it's not enforced, it becomes a bonafide 'rule of the road' and hopefully an increase in awareness helps.

It's my opinion that a very small number of leg lane hogs are pricks, the rest just don't understand road etiquette -- all they need is awareness.

Flashing high beams works most of the time.

I believe HTA 147 is the relevant law in Ontario

If I am in the left lane it is to pass. If I see you coming up behind me quickly I will increase my speed to complete my pass. If you proceed to ride my bumper I will attempt to get out of the left lane. But I guarantee it might take me a kilometer to do it, turn signal on and very very slowly making my way to the right. So slowly in fact that some decide that they cant wait and take to the left shoulder. The smile you get from me is because I just delayed you ten seconds. And that my rearview cam has recorded your license plate six inches off my bumper at 130 kph.

Yeah, and his front camera has you violating 172 as well as being an ... What does that prove?

======================================================

Some real fun excuses here as to why GTA drivers are considered to have no clue.

Please people at least try to keep up with courtesy.

Friend I know said he was taught to stay in the left lane as you don’t need to move/change lanes as much. I wondered what driving sschool said that?

Oh...and the 401 would be a cakewalk if people stuck to the Keep right unless to pass rule. Sure there’s a lot of traffic but there’s be way less congestion if people could drive properly.
Lucky Star driving school?

just kidding........

Yeah, and his front camera has you violating 172 as well as being an ... What does that prove?

If you feel the need to ride my *** because you cant wait 2 secs for me to move over then I will reply in kind. That proves that I can be a bigger *** then you. But I keep forgetting, you needing to do 140 in the left lane the whole way makes you more important doesn't it.

The test needs to be stricter and more difficult. In the UK test if you parked on a two way street opposite an already parked car you failed because you had blocked traffic down to one lane. Things like that are just courteous behaviour and help traffic flow. Left lane hogging is a similar thing.

Totally agree with this. More needs to be done to educate drivers first, then enforce the rules.

Usually if I'm riding up and down the DVP in the morning on weekends, I'll find the left lane hogs, middle lane occupied with cars near or just above the speed limit cruising and the right lane wide open. What I really don't get is when a car joins the highway, then immediately moves to the middle or left lane with the right lane wide open... Why!?

If you feel the need to ride my *** because you cant wait 2 secs for me to move over then I will reply in kind. That proves that I can be a bigger *** then you. But I keep forgetting, you needing to do 140 in the left lane the whole way makes you more important doesn't it.
If you need someone to pull up behind you before you think about moving over, than you've already proven yourself. What I do is pull up behind at a safe distance and put my left turn signal on. I also presume that you have no driving talent, are stupid, self important, and distracted, as I do with everyone else on the road, so waiting a few seconds while I inform everyone around you of the facts, makes little difference to me. The weird thing is that it seems to be more true in the GTA than elsewhere.

Dude has already indicated he's in the left lane to pass.
And that if he sees someone approaching he speeds up.
If someone is too impatient and rides his butt.
Continuing at his safe speed until he can move right is the proper action.
Doesn't sound too me like he needs a lecture.

This is not a priority for police, so just get around them.

There are some sick people who like to block the left lane. 2 years ago I was going west on the 401 at Belleville to Toronto and I'm doing 125 in the left lane no one behind me, and a guy enters the highway on the on-ramp, boots it, then passes me on the right pulls in front of me and slows to 100 kph exactly equal to the car in the right lane. After 5 minutes there are 20 cars blocked. At the next on-ramp I use it to pass the blockage, and the guy speeds up to cut me off. I go 145 to get away and he pulls back, then continues to block the cars. I cut my speed.

There is no one around me and after 10 minutes I check the mirror and see a string of lights (dark by now) about 2 kilometers back of maybe 100 cars in two lanes that this idiot is blocking. No idea if anyone called the cops but even if they did, the cop would never be able to safely navigate to the front of the jam to get this guy. A real idiot with a very obvious physiological issue.

Last edited:
Everyone in the left lane is passing. Some are passing time. Some are passing wind. Some are just passing on their poor driving habits. The proper procedure is to move to the right as quickly and safely as possible. That’s something that people living within 200 km of Toronto don’t seem to get, and it’s quite apparent from the responses. Try and drive better than your legacy!!!

p.s. the safest place to be around a truck is a kilometre or two ahead of them, in the right hand lane.

What I really don't get is when a car joins the highway, then immediately moves to the middle or left lane with the right lane wide open... Why!?

Same question. Why do people making turns (right or left) go to the completely wrong lane when going from a 2 lane each direction to 2 lane each direction?
Why do people in the right lane of a traffic circle merge into the left lane, then merge right, and eventually are forced to merge left again all without signals?

Simple reason. People are idiots and shouldn't have their licenses.

If I was a cop, approaching end of quota period, I'd hang out at traffic circles and nail people all day long.

Same question. Why do people making turns (right or left) go to the completely wrong lane when going from a 2 lane each direction to 2 lane each direction?
Why do people in the right lane of a traffic circle merge into the left lane, then merge right, and eventually are forced to merge left again all without signals?

Simple reason. People are idiots and shouldn't have their licenses.

If I was a cop, approaching end of quota period, I'd hang out at traffic circles and nail people all day long.

I’d hang out at in Front St. Tim’s and ding people for parking.

this sign should be on every highway

l36qsLu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom