When will OPP ticket left-lane hogs???? | GTAMotorcycle.com

When will OPP ticket left-lane hogs????

Xhumeka

OK, bit of a rant here - but I'm so frikken' sick of the OPP ignoring left-lane hogs. I do not condone nor justify road-rage in any way, but consistently I see very stupid driving occur as a result of left-lane hogs.

And I do agree that's it's INSANELY FRUSTRATING when you are stuck behind some left-lane idiot driving the same speed as a middle-laner. Why is it so hard for these idiots to pull out of the way? You are not the speed-police, and just because you are doing 110 doesn't mean you have the right to cruise in the left-lane oblivious to all traffic around you.

Even if I'm doing 130 or 140 and someone closes distance quickly behind me, I'm looking for the first opportunity to lane-change. Why do idiots with 20 tailgaters right behind them not feel the urge to let them pass???? I really don't get it.

Again, I don't condone road rage but this type of driving CLEARLY leads to road rage, so why don't police do more about these idiot lane hogs? STAY RIGHT UNLESS PASSING, how hard is that to understand???????

Will never happen. Speeding is much easier to prove in court.

But if you stay right unless you have to pass the odd slow guy in the right lane, or move left to allow a car to merge from an on-ramp, the odds are that you're going to be passing those left lane hogs anyway. Its not illegal to pass on the right on a multi-lane highway. No point stressing about these idiots, just look ahead for the openings and you'll be much further ahead.

Left lane for passing only. Not sure which part of HTA states that. Anyway, will never happen in this province or country .... unless a cop from Germany moves here and starts policing 4xx series like Autobahn.

They would have to rise the speed limit to 150ish first, then they would have no choice but to start policing the left lane ..... sounds like fiction to me.

Anyway, will never happen in this province or country ....

You're probably right that it will never happen in _this_ province, but it's already happened in the Country:

https://www.tranbc.ca/2015/06/15/keep-right-let-others-pass-law-is-now-official-on-bc-highways/

What is the law? The new legislation prohibits driving in the left lane unless a motorist is:

• overtaking and passing another vehicle
  • moving left to allow traffic to merge
  • preparing for a left hand turn
  • passing a stopped official vehicle displaying red, blue or yellow flashing lights, such as: police cars, ambulances, tow trucks, maintenance or construction vehicles.
Who does it affect? The law applies to all motorists travelling on BC highways with two or more lanes of traffic travelling in the same direction and a posted speed limit of 80 km/h or greater.
When does it start? June 12, 2015

You're probably right that it will never happen in _this_ province, but it's already happened in the Country:

https://www.tranbc.ca/2015/06/15/keep-right-let-others-pass-law-is-now-official-on-bc-highways/

What is the law? The new legislation prohibits driving in the left lane unless a motorist is:

• overtaking and passing another vehicle
  • moving left to allow traffic to merge
  • preparing for a left hand turn
  • passing a stopped official vehicle displaying red, blue or yellow flashing lights, such as: police cars, ambulances, tow trucks, maintenance or construction vehicles.
Who does it affect? The law applies to all motorists travelling on BC highways with two or more lanes of traffic travelling in the same direction and a posted speed limit of 80 km/h or greater.
When does it start? June 12, 2015

Ask them how many tickets has been issued since 2015?

I just go around them and get on my way. No fuss, no muss, no rage, no worries.

a) sometimes you cannot, because you have three trains of cars with similar speed in three different lanes .... b) that's how accidents happen, people start running all the way to right lane to blast by the trains in left lanes ....... the hogs just make it more dangerous for everyone, would be the obvious thing to say.

Sure, when it's just you and not much other cars around you, you can easily clear him and be on your way, but that's not how it often presents itself.

When do you ever see any police out there anyhow to enforce it? It's rare. There is all kinds of stupidiness going on out there besides this and nothing is being done about it, allowing situations like this and others to get progressively worse.

Ditto - but every time I see careless and stupid driving, or read news articles about deaths from brake-checking, I always wonder why more isn't being done to PREVENT the anger. Again, not condoning road rage, but why not look to nip it in the bud before it happens?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/qew-crash-arrest-made-1.4525950

link is different issue. He wasn't a left lane hog, he jumped into the left lane and did a brake check....possibly on a left lane hog. If he just kept going, nothing would have happened. It's the entitled mindset that get peeved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk :)

How is that a different issue? This is exactly what I'm talking about... stupid behavior because of rage. You think he brake checked the left-lane for no reason?

I see where yer coming from. Yes the left hog contributed to the issue, but the rage is the guy switching to the left and brake checking. The guy with the rage is at fault. He didn't teach the hog a lesson, he got someone killed. The rager controls their own actions. It's not like I don't get irked by left hogs, I just don't get bothered anymore and just pass them when I can. Not worth getting upset about. Then lots of the time they are right behind me when the traffic packs in anyways. Or I move over for the guy wailing in behind me, he passes, I drop back into the left lane and I'm right behind him when traffic packs in. He wins...he's 10 feet in front. Or if traffic is light, they get to be the rabbit.

I agree that educating entitled/dumb people that encourage rage is a good idea. IME, the number of people blocking the road is roughly equivalent to the number of aggressive drivers. Targeting only one side of a problem is dumb.

I thought keep right except to pass was a guideline not a law? Police can only ticket when laws are broken. Police have laid tickets in the past for impeding the flow of traffic but these are few and far between (especially if the offending vehicle is at or above the speed limit). If they got away from quotas and actually focused on traffic safety, pulling some left lane hogs over for a long information session may help alter future behaviour.

I see where yer coming from. Yes the left hog contributed to the issue, but the rage is the guy switching to the left and brake checking. The guy with the rage is at fault. He didn't teach the hog a lesson, he got someone killed. The rager controls their own actions. It's not like I don't get irked by left hogs, I just don't get bothered anymore and just pass them when I can. Not worth getting upset about. Then lots of the time they are right behind me when the traffic packs in anyways. Or I move over for the guy wailing in behind me, he passes, I drop back into the left lane and I'm right behind him when traffic packs in. He wins...he's 10 feet in front. Or if traffic is light, they get to be the rabbit.

100% agree that brake check is never justified and should be very harshly punished regardless of the consequences (which is probably why it was included in the street racing legislation). The behaviour that really needs curbed are the left lane hogs that actively try to prevent passing (accelerating when it is safe to pass/lane splitting to prevent pass etc). That behaviour is also very agressive and triggers increasing rage. Anyone actively trying to impede other vehicles should be punished similarly to the brake check driver.

.... The behaviour that really needs curbed are the left lane hogs that actively try to prevent passing (accelerating when it is safe to pass/lane splitting to prevent pass etc). That behaviour is also very agressive and triggers increasing rage. Anyone actively trying to impede other vehicles should be punished similarly to the brake check driver.

Agreed. Fortunately, haven't come across that too often. Good thing my bike can out accelerate them.

When I drove from Vancouver to Whistler in a rental car, I was trying to fly as fast as possible without the fiancee screaming (150-160) and using the left lane...because the roads were so twisty! Everyone moved out of the way. I moved out of the way when I heard a screaming engine coming from behind (knew it was an i4 from the screaming banshee sound, turned out to be a CBR1000RR); guy was probably moving at 180+

People here up north seem to do the same.

The problem comes with city folk (I am a city person as well btw...) that thinks "HURDUR I AM GOING 120 SO I BELONG HERE HURDURDUR", or "HURDURERP I R THE LAW, I BLOCK FOR POLIZE!"

My fiancee used to be in the "I'm doing 120 so I belong here" crowd until I educated her. Another friend of mine was the same way. I don't understand why this behaviour is so dominant in cities but not in rural areas.

油井緋色;2546347 said:
I don't understand why this behaviour is so dominant in cities but not in rural areas.

As RB said, entitlement mainly and also much shorter distances. If you are only going 20 km, the difference between 100 and 125 is only 2 minutes. If you are going 400 km to your destination, now we are talking about saving over half an hour.

Back
Top Bottom