Track Day Bike help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track Day Bike help

CB1100

Pretty new to riding. I did two track sessions last year on my CB1100. One instructional and then a regular track day. The 2013 CB1100 was a blast to ride around the track, but I want to get a second bike.

I was thinking of getting an 88-93 cbr 600 so I could take advantage of vintage track days and lower insurance. I just spoke to my insurance company and they won’t insure any CBR600 or higher.

i want a track bike but I don’t want to spend a lot on a bike I’ll only ride a few times a year.

So I have two options I can get a 600cc super sport and only ride it at the track or I can get a alternative to the 600cc super sport that is reasonable to insure but would still be a good track ride.

So far I’ve been thinking about a 500 ninja or a cb599. I’m also a bigger guy, 6’ 250 lbs. All suggestions welcome. I’m looking for used $2000-3500. Part of the reason I want a second bike is I don’t want to see my beautiful CB1100 slide.

IMO

Riding a street bike on the track is not a good idea, many do it but if you are going to get into track, then have a dedicated track bike.
Any track bike insurance is basically fire and theft which is cheap.

+1 get a dedicated track bike. There is a member with a CBR fully prepped track bike that may sell.

As the others have said a dedicated track bike is the way to go. There are a few members on here and elsewhere that have race bikes that fall well within your budget. There are quite a few 600cc machines and some nice middle ground machines like the SV650S and EX500 around. PM me if you want details, I can provide some info and contacts.

I have to ask, why do you want a vintage bike? Cheaper trackdays?

I wouldn't bother with something of that vintage. They are slow, heavy, and dont handle as good as something in the 2000+ range.

Hardly anyone insures their track bikes so I wouldn't really consider it a factor in your purchase. It is available if you want it, but very few companies will do it, and even then it is purely fire and theft.

You should be able to find a 2000+ 600cc track bike in your price range fairly easily. They are plenty capable in good hands, and parts are fairly cheap and plentiful.

Joey

my thinking was with an 88 I could do vintage track days as well as regular so I’d have more opportunity to ride. My other thought was if I could put it on the road with insurance that was around 80 bucks a month I’d have a second very different bike to boot around on. Buying a bike to ride 4-6 times a year vs buying a bike I could ride whenever I want. Also getting to know the bike really well would be good. I’ve put 32k on my cb11 so I know it’s brakes and clutch and suspension really well vs riding a bike at the track I’m not very familiar with. I’m just doing beginner class lapping not ever going to be competitive at 40 years and 250 lbs. I just like to have fun on my own terms, don’t care who passes me.

right....that's how everyone starts, 2 years later you are explaining to your wife that a toy hauler and a B bike is an absolute necessity.

lots of good advice here from experienced people, I wouldn't go with an 88 for all the reasons people mentioned above, also if you are only planning on getting out 4-6 times a year there are plenty of opportunities without vintage days, having a dedicated bike that is a lot easier and more convenient than going thru taping off lights, etc etc before and after every track day, as far as getting to know your bike I think you will get to know it a lot better in 4-6 track days than you would riding it on the street all summer.

are you looking for advice or for someone to validate a decision you already made?

My other thought was if I could put it on the road with insurance that was around 80 bucks a month I’d have a second very different bike to boot around on.

Save the $1000 a year on insurance and use that money to buy more track days to enjoy your dedicated track bike. Riding on the street will teach you almost nothing about how your bike behaves on the track.

Another vote for a much newer bike than you are thinking. Parts will be easier to find and it will be faster and lighter. Buy one already setup for the track and save yourself a fortune (and have something that will vastly outperform almost any similar bike on the track that is also road legal).

Save the $1000 a year on insurance and use that money to buy more track days to enjoy your dedicated track bike. Riding on the street will teach you almost nothing about how your bike behaves on the track.

Yeaup. Selling one of my street bikes this spring because I didn't get enough use out of it with all the track weekends. And just keeping the dirt-cheap-to-insure 250 dual sport on the road.

There's a handful of sv650's and ex500's for sale from the guys who race at Shannonville. Message JoeyB.

Joey

my thinking was with an 88 I could do vintage track days as well as regular so I’d have more opportunity to ride. My other thought was if I could put it on the road with insurance that was around 80 bucks a month I’d have a second very different bike to boot around on. Buying a bike to ride 4-6 times a year vs buying a bike I could ride whenever I want. Also getting to know the bike really well would be good. I’ve put 32k on my cb11 so I know it’s brakes and clutch and suspension really well vs riding a bike at the track I’m not very familiar with. I’m just doing beginner class lapping not ever going to be competitive at 40 years and 250 lbs. I just like to have fun on my own terms, don’t care who passes me.

I've never heard of vintage track days. And there are enough track days at different tracks that you could go nearly every weekend all summer with a 2000+ 600

I'd say just for parts alone go for a newer bike. I have an 03 and parts are getting a bit scarce, compared to when I first started (07).

What is your budget? Maybe someone here knows of a good cheap (fugly) one for sale.

I've never heard of vintage track days. And there are enough track days at different tracks that you could go nearly every weekend all summer with a 2000+ 600

There were a couple a year at Cayuga. Just two.

I took the Ninja 250 there the last few times. They won't let modern sport bikes on there but don't mind if 250's go out.

Pointless buying a bike just for those when there are so many other options, like you said.

Haven't read all comments but what the hell are "Vintage Track Days"
Joey

They are advertised as only pre-WW2 motorcycles on track. ...or some other date in the 90s. I've only ever seen them at Cayuga, outside of the obvious VRRA race weekends.

Ah Cayuga, most likely why I haven't cared to hear from them
They are advertised as only pre-WW2 motorcycles on track. ...or some other date in the 90s. I've only ever seen them at Cayuga, outside of the obvious VRRA race weekends.

CB, I wouldn't waste your time trying to squeeze in 'vintage trackdays'; whatever those are; in addition to non-vintage track days. There are far more non-vintage track days at all the tracks in Ontario. Besides, it sounds like these 'vintage' ones are only at one track? Once you start you'll just want more and more seat time on a track anyway.

I’m just doing beginner class lapping not ever going to be competitive at 40 years and 250 lbs. I just like to have fun on my own terms, don’t care who passes me.
I have a couple comments on this. First, I started racing 2 years ago at 45 and 220ish lbs on a CBR250. No track days other than a FAST phase 1. Don't let your age or weight hold you back. Second, if you're just doing track days it's not a competition, you're supposed to go at your own pace. But you will end up pushing, that's what happens, it's inevitable because we all want to go faster.

if anything, getting an older track dedicated bike may be cheaper, so the investment isn't as much for a bike only used a few times a year.

Hey CB! or Norm I should say. I invited you to pit with me at Cayuga(toliet motorsports park) back in the summer. I'm buddies with Dave from Honda on the brand new CBR race bike. I thought we had you convinced on any ol' 600 bike. I'd honestly buy the newest, non beat up, any brand of 600 track bike you can afford. Sliding your CB1100 down the track once will probably be the same cost to fix vs. buying a late 00's track specific bike. Also if you ever want to ride let me know, I probably won't be going back to Cayuga. It's to slippery on slicks, I feel like I'm unlearning how to ride.

Last edited:
Hey Big Cat or should I say Ryan. I think I’m going to grab an 01-06 cbr600f4i. Cayuga is probably going to be my most frequent track day because of proximity. It I’ll look into what else is out there and try the other spots at least once. I think I have Dave convinced to do the surviving the streets course that I took which got this whole thing started.

As Owen mentioned I've only ever seen them at TMP a few times a year. I was at one and they still let other bikes on track because there wasn't enough vintage guys.

Back
Top Bottom