2011 CBR250RA Bad idea project thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

2011 CBR250RA Bad idea project thread

GVH

OK first off it's not my fault I keep buying bikes. What am I supposed to do when people offer them at stupid low prices. So 2011 CBR250R advertised on kijiji. First for $600 then $400. Two surprises. One bad one good maybe. Bent in swingarm bad, ABS model good ??

So just got it home after walking hand holding the seller through MTO process. He bought it for $900 plus fees tax ... into it for $1162. sold it for $400. It needs loads. tomorrow I will hot wire the ignition and boost it. See how it runs. Pics so far. If it has a pouched motor and I don't think it does. Project over. We will see. Pics so far. Not trying to hide something with thumb just stupid fat fingers. I have decided it is BEER O clock hail to the Flying Monkey Atomic IPA

YJgsduj.gif

2SmPFo4.gif

n1ZGrvk.gif

pR0PUcv.gif

6XU7NAG.gif

If that Motor is good - let me know.

OK starts runs and idles. Rev on throttle and no smoke. It took bit to remove the ignition from the key. Happily the key still opens the tank and seat. Charging the battery now. Not really setup to boost wee little bikes but made it work. Off to Guelph this weekend to buy lots of parts.

UigzNSB.gif

GYgZFfM.gif

Do you have clear title or is this an insurance write-off ? Could make a difference later.

That's a good price for a running project. I feel bad for that poor bike, what did it do to deserve what has happened to it in its short life.

How bad is a bent in swingarm? Is this something that can be repaired/ replaced?

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Found a bunch of the mechanical stuff including swing arm out of QC. Some a bit pricy but swing arm $15.99 plus 8.99 shipping and tax

Delivering my Sv tomorrow and picking up stuff from Geulph including gauges. Another guy in Mississauga has all the plastic new 50% retail. Will need a few front mounting brackets from dealer.

Surprisingly battery is taking a charge. Starting without a boost now.

Found a bunch of the mechanical stuff including swing arm out of QC. Some a bit pricy but swing arm $15.99 plus 8.99 shipping and tax

Delivering my Sv tomorrow and picking up stuff from Geulph including gauges. Another guy in Mississauga has all the plastic new 50% retail. Will need a few front mounting brackets from dealer.

Surprisingly battery is taking a charge. Starting without a boost now.
Wow. That was fast, glad to see you're able to get most of the parts relatively cheaply. Good luck with the project.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

They had a race series so lots of people boxed up the stock bits. Need to see if I can find any left over race kits. Elka Shock, fork springs, akrapov exhaust

Well picked up a few bits today. Nasty trip to Guelph and back. Guy was custom building race bikes in his garage. Gorgeous machines. Custom designed and CNC manufactured swing arm, trips, subframes and frames. Showed him the cell phone pic of the bike. He thinks the trips are bent. Says foks are sitting wrong. Lucky for me two spare trips in the boxes of bits. Only other question is does the bikes ecu keep odometer data or just the gauges ? Plug them in see what shows up.

Was wondering about the forks. They looked to be too much of an angle, thought it was just the camera angle/distortion.

Well realized working on the bikes when tired not always productive. Bike wouldn't start today. Screamed must be blown relay fuse. Tight spot on bike fat fingers. 30 minutes of trying cursing fuse is fine. Start looking at clutch switch then realize plug dash back in and no neutral light on dash. Messed with the shift linkage yesterday left it in gear. Bike runs fine. Curs some more on to the forks.

iPhone app shows forks at 27-28%. Should be 25%. No visible damage to steering head. Top triple does have some marks from the crash. I also found the steering head bearings in bad shape. Spare triples installed. Not much more. The weather and stupidity of the human race keeping me busy today.

That's what I was alluding to. Not that I could tell from the pics, but it just looked to be too much of an angle.

Measuring the steering head shows 25% so can nasty steering head bearings cause the problem ?? or are both triples just a little off.

Measuring the steering head shows 25% so can nasty steering head bearings cause the problem ?? or are both triples just a little off.

I don't know if I'd trust an iphone angle app for tiny changes, so many things can go wrong (eg accuracy/repeatability of sensor, slope of floor, both tires inflated properly etc.).

Does someone have a measurement from the axle back to a point on the bike? That should be more accurate.

I don't know if I'd trust an iphone angle app for tiny changes, so many things can go wrong (eg accuracy/repeatability of sensor, slope of floor, both tires inflated properly etc.).

Does someone have a measurement from the axle back to a point on the bike? That should be more accurate.

I guess i will be the party pooper... sorry lol
looking at the damaged swingarm - is there a chance the frame might be slightly twisted?
looking for cracked paint on the frame may be revealing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom