Break in service | GTAMotorcycle.com

Break in service

bigpoppa

For the break-in service do I HAVE to go to the dealer I purchased the bike from, or can I go to any authorized yamaha dealer? Asking strictly so as to not affect the warranty.

For the break-in service do I HAVE to go to the dealer I purchased the bike from, or can I go to any authorized yamaha dealer? Asking strictly so as to not affect the warranty.

Legally, they can't force you to go to dealer for service. In practice, going to the dealer normally costs more, but if problems arise that wouldn't normally be covered under warranty and/or pop up after warranty, dealer serviced vehicles have a much higher likelihood of manufacturer goodwill.

I only ask so that I can go to a yamaha dealer close to my house instead of riding on the 401 for an annoying amount of time

I only ask so that I can go to a yamaha dealer close to my house instead of riding on the 401 for an annoying amount of time

I have never had a service done by a dealer where I purchased a vehicle. I would pick a dealer for service and stick with it. If it is one closer than your purchase dealership, I can't see that causing any problems.

Do you have any electronic doo dads on your bike that might need a software update from a proprietary/OEM device? That's the main reason for perhaps visiting a dealer at some point. Other than that...choose local.

Oh also...and please correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought you could do your own work on the bike as long as you keep receipts for warranty purposes.

I was about to say just do it yourself! Then i remembered we need a throttle body sync as well as the usual oil change and check all the fasteners, etc.

I made Snowcity do it before i picked mine up :)

The answer is no, you can go anywhere.

Last edited:
Oh also...and please correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought you could do your own work on the bike as long as you keep receipts for warranty purposes.

Theoretically, but you are going down the rabbit hole there. Having a receipt for oil and a filter doesn't necessarily mean you installed it at a specific mileage (or ever). I think you are technically correct, but the fight if something goes wrong may be unwinnable.

VW explicitly requires all service (including oil changes) is performed by an approved shop. Obviously dealers are approved and they easily approve VW focused independents (such as precision tuning). Any work performed by the owner or a non-approved shop (such as Mr. Lube and the like) is grounds for denial of warranty. This was probably based on a history of shops using oil that didn't meet the special VW spec and sludging the engines.

Theoretically, but you are going down the rabbit hole there. Having a receipt for oil and a filter doesn't necessarily mean you installed it at a specific mileage (or ever). I think you are technically correct, but the fight if something goes wrong may be unwinnable.

I'm fairly certain they would have to prove that whatever you did (or failed to do) caused the issue.

Now would they still come back and demand to see all receipts for oil/filter for the life of the engine, a written step-by-step account of how you changed it and 3 signed witness statements saying you did in fact change the oil on periods x, y and z?

Probably :)

Too answer your question

you can go to any authorized Yamaha dealer of your choice, if they don't want your business, go to another one.

Like others have said
doesn't have to be the selling dealer

But a Yamaha dealer is a good idea for the first one

They will have info for any update said etc

And during the first one there are some retorques that need done

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

VW explicitly requires all service (including oil changes) is performed by an approved shop. Obviously dealers are approved and they easily approve VW focused independents (such as precision tuning). Any work performed by the owner or a non-approved shop (such as Mr. Lube and the like) is grounds for denial of warranty. This was probably based on a history of shops using oil that didn't meet the special VW spec and sludging the engines.

Ahh I was thinking of an American federal statute called the Magnuson Moss act. Not sure if that applies anywhere or could be used/ has been used as a precedent here. There’s anti competitive “tied selling” legislation that can be used here though. Digging around this means that in Canada this can apply to using aftermarket parts on cars etc.

If something were to happen, you could quote odd statutes and anti competitive rules. And miss dozens of hours of your life arguing with customer service reps, getting photo copies of reciepts, not riding your bike.
Or you can go to any authorized Yamaha dealer, get service until the warranty period is over, then do whatever makes you happy.

Any authorized Yamaha dealer can do your post purchase service and will support your warranty repairs, if any, as required. I'm sure the dealer that sold you the bike would be happier if you got this service done there, but there is absolutely no requirement to go back to them for either routine service or warranty work.

While you didn't ask the question any service work you do yourself or at a non authorized dealer places the onus 100% on you to prove all "in warranty period" routine maintenance was done at all and then to the standard of an authorized dealer. It would be up to a Yamaha dealer and the warranty repair approval process to accept your evidence and provide warranty repairs at no charge. Any buyer would have to decide up front if the risk of a declined warranty repair is offset by the savings on service during the warranty period.

Back
Top Bottom