Brake reservoir socks | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake reservoir socks

If I have a leak in my brake fluid reservoir I'd rather know about right away. Fixing paint is easier than fixing everything if your brake are mush and you can't stop.

You're assuming that leaks only happen at the reservoir, what about the caliper, lines, banjo bolts? Why don't you put a sock on your calipers? Your banjo bolts? Your brake lines?

Agreed.

The amount the seeps from the Master Cylinder is never enough to really splatter everywhere. If it is in a volume that is spattering everywhere on to paint, then you have way bigger issues than brake fluid messing up your paint.

Way back when it was regular occurrence to boil your brake fluid on a race bike/car.
The sock was to catch the fluid before it made a real mess.
Brake fluid has a MUCH higher boiling temp these days, boiling your brake fluid is no longer a thing.

Change your brake fluid regularly.

The damage was still present even with new primer and fresh paint. Ya fluid can leak from anywhere but from the top of the triples it left a path of distruction.

I find that hard to believe that a new paint job didn't fix it.
It must have been sitting there for way way too long. I have spilled brake fluid on paint more times than i'd like to admit but have never seen any damage. Perhaps because it's wiped up quickly?

When you are 16, broke, and it is your first street bike a leaking master cylinder is not a big deal. It leaked for a while so ya once the leak got bad it would seep over night, I had no idea at 16 what brake fluid did to paint. Maybe not enough sanding during the prep so the spots showed up IDK, I won't chance brake fluid anywhere near paint for more then a few seconds. The guys in the shop said that did a car the week before that had brake fluid thrown on a hood and it sat over night. That shop said that with out going to the metal on that hood, it still would show on new paint. I'm a lot more careful with brake fluid since.

Btw it was leaking pretty bad just before if managed to fix it. I leaned my lesson, wristbands for all my bikes.

I find that hard to believe that a new paint job didn't fix it.
It must have been sitting there for way way too long. I have spilled brake fluid on paint more times than i'd like to admit but have never seen any damage. Perhaps because it's wiped up quickly?

I guess you're new to the interwebs.

What I was saying, without saying it, is that the lesson you should have learned from your story was to fix leaks and not a bandaid sock.

I see it as a smart *** comment, most riders use it so if you think it has no use or if you think I'm not being helpful to fellow riders call me out on it, don't be a troll.

If you were around in 1995 to tell me I would have known.

I guess you're new to the interwebs.

What I was saying, without saying it, is that the lesson you should have learned from your story was to fix leaks and not a bandaid sock.

No one thinks I was verbatim quoting you, so you don't have to worry. Your original comment is directly above.

If it works for you, awesome. I just don't see the logic.

If the sock has enough fluid on it to notice a leak, there is probably issue of air and hydraulic pressure and your brakes are not working properly by the time you notice. If the sock is saturated enough that you can see/feel it, it's very possible it will slop on to your paint anyway.

Sure, you could make the argument about UV degradation, but shouldn't the fluid be changed before that causes issues? All of the reservoirs on my bikes are blacked out or metal with a small transparent or translucent level window, so not really an issue.

I wouldn't wrap a sock around a leaky engine to protect my garage floor.

OK I will try to clarify, the logic behind it is that if it does leak a few millilitres, it will do its job, clearly you don't have litres of fluid in the master cylinder so a band is more than adequate to soak up fluid if seal fails. I rarely go a few weeks without removing my band. i usually find myself washing the bike and I'll check the levels while handling the band.

I don't argue the UV degradation only because I have first hand experience with a leaking master cylinder. Btw my current bikes have clear plastic cylinders. my old FZR was like yours. Brake fluid does not evaporate, so if it leaks it will run down usually onto the fairing as the bike is banked when parked. A few millilitres will not get past the band. I do not use the band to gauge weather it is leaking rather if it fails I know whenever I remove it.

Your analogy of a leaky motor is a poor one.

Last edited:
I was having a bit of fluid coming out of the reservoir ending up splashing my windshield a bit and my visor while racing. Couldn’t figure out why it was happening everything was tight and no drips. Think it was just working it’s way threw the cap threading.Thanks to bickle I threw on one of his reservoir covers and no issue. So I would say they aren’t just for show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys all use them for the wrong reason,,,,mine are on to send a message to those that are close enough..lol

GMIy0Jx.jpg

WjVZ1YY.jpg

Back
Top Bottom