Brake reservoir socks | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake reservoir socks

arogal

Anyone know where I can find brake reservoir socks in the GTA? Was going to pick a couple up on amazon, but the shipping was more than the socks! Haha!

I think that's the first time I ever heard them referred to as brake reservoir socks. I've always used wristbands or you can even actually cut off the top of old socks.

Can anyone tell me why people do it though? Always wondered.

Soak up spilled fluid if it leaks and a bit of UV protection for the res. plastic. Looks cool too? ;)

Ah ok makes sense. I've only had 2 bikes, and both had metal brake reservoirs.

HA! Never thought of just getting a wrist band. Good idea. Stumbled upon them at tech parts...$31 for a pair. Laughed when I saw that price.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Save your money. They're purely for aesthetics.

If I have a leak in my brake fluid reservoir I'd rather know about right away. Fixing paint is easier than fixing everything if your brake are mush and you can't stop.

You're assuming that leaks only happen at the reservoir, what about the caliper, lines, banjo bolts? Why don't you put a sock on your calipers? Your banjo bolts? Your brake lines?

If I have a leak in my brake fluid reservoir I'd rather know about right away. Fixing paint is easier than fixing everything if your brake are mush and you can't stop.

You're assuming that leaks only happen at the reservoir, what about the caliper, lines, banjo bolts? Why don't you put a sock on your calipers? Your banjo bolts? Your brake lines?

Because they could end up in the wheels/chain plus those are already down low? You’ll see a leak on a sock before it hits your paintwork.

Ps I’m just playing devil's advocate....I don’t have one but I can see how they might be useful.

Ps I’m just playing devil's advocate....I don’t have one but I can see how they might be useful.
No worries. I just find most of the reasons people post for using one to be opinion more than fact.

I wrap a cloth around the res when changing fluid and I've had ppl with brittle containers, supposedly from UV exposure. Tossing a wristband on if they are sitting around couldn't hurt.

UV exposure from sun can degrade your fluid faster, its not just for looks. I personally don't use them because I just flush my fluid often, and dont really park my bikes outside for long periods of time

If you look on the internet you can see people have done their own tests, I saw one where a guy filled 2 plastic water bottles with the same brake fluid. And put them outside for a period of time, one uncovered and one covered by a simple tshirt/rag. The one that was uncoverd turned brown, while the one that was covered stayed almost clear...Fluid res usually are a thicker plastic with a frosty look to them, which is much better then a clear plastic bottle, but sun exposure can degrade fuilds. Companies like Brembo now offer tinted res cups also

here is one time period stated was less then 3 months outside, dot 4 fluid
20060903084356-0-482.jpg

Last edited:
UV exposure from sun can degrade your fluid faster, its not just for looks. I personally don't use them because I just flush my fluid often, and dont really park my bikes outside for long periods of time

If you look on the internet you can see people have done their own tests, I saw one where a guy filled 2 plastic water bottles with the same brake fluid. And put them outside for a period of time, one uncovered and one covered by a simple tshirt/rag. The one that was uncoverd turned brown, while the one that was covered stayed almost clear...Fluid res usually are a thicker plastic with a frosty look to them, which is much better then a clear plastic bottle, but sun exposure can degrade fuilds. Companies like Brembo now offer tinted res cups also

here is one time period stated was less then 3 months outside, dot 4 fluid
20060903084356-0-482.jpg

Exactly that...exposure to the sun will make the fluids go darker much faster.

on the track they help to keep the bottle from damage and together.. so your not searching for the cap and rubber. BICKLE'S are neoprene and have a top. and thems cool as stated.

I've had first hand experience with a leaking master cylinder. Brake fluid pretty much will melt through paint and no amount for prepping and repainting will hide the effected area of damage. I swear by wristbands now, had it happen to my 92 FZR and I had a body shop repaint my right side fairing. The damage was still present even with new primer and fresh paint. Ya fluid can leak from anywhere but from the top of the triples it left a path of distruction.

Back
Top Bottom