Ice riding gear | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ice riding gear

Just wondering what kinda gear everyone is using from head to toe. What types of helmets, gloves, clothing and one thing that I’m looking to upgrade on is boots. Any advice on what gear is best and why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only gone a few times. I found that I got hot quickly once riding. It's very physically engaging. And I got cold rapidly when standing around...so I'd get back out and ride.

Top - Wicking under layer (same as race suit), long sleeve tee shirt, hoodie, normal winter jacket
bottom - wicking under layer, jogging pants, snow pants
Shin pads and elbow pads
Motorcross or any off road boot with plastic bags over my socks so my feet don't get wet.
Motorcross helmet or any helmet that the visor does not get foggy.
Normal winter gloves - bike has big wind breaker/muffs over the bars to help with cold. You need manual dexterity to operate controls. Giant snowmobile gloves are too bulky.
A balaclava for your neck would help but I was fine without one both times.

No need for leathers since there is no abrasion when you crash. I guess you could make an argument that it'd help from the wheel spikes but I didn't see anyone wearing road racing leathers.

e73c4fd82394785a0a86562dd95795e1.jpg

These are the boots I’m using atm they are basically a rubber work boot with steel toe and shank. Only thing I don’t really like about them is the bulky toe for shifting. I have never worn MX boots and not sure what would be good to buy for ice riding. Is there any MX boots meant for cold temps?

e73c4fd82394785a0a86562dd95795e1.jpg

These are the boots I’m using atm they are basically a rubber work boot with steel toe and shank. Only thing I don’t really like about them is the bulky toe for shifting. I have never worn MX boots and not sure what would be good to buy for ice riding. Is there any MX boots meant for cold temps?

haha! thats what i was wearing last weekend.. great for the snow, but no protection from a hit ...but the other guys wore MX/Eduro boots. You may want to move this thread to the Dirt sub forum, as some of those guys may not read the main forum..

Is there any MX boots meant for cold temps?

I'm not sure but my feet were only cold when I was standing still for longer than 5-10 mins. As soon as I got on the bike, they would warm up.

It's more of the wet/snow that is the problem. Warm feet with snow turn wet. Hot engine with ice chips and snow going near it turn wet. The plastic grocery bags kept my feet dry.

Those rubber boots would probably do the trick for warmth (with extra socks) and obviously keeping dry. But if you go down, your ankles and everything other than your toes might take a good hit.

Snowmachine suit and motocross boots - I used downhill ski specific socks that I had bought at blue mountain...awesome socks.

I rode sled trails w/o spikes, wasn't.needed. but the trails need to have been first packed down by sleds.

What a blast, and the bikes need a place warm enough to thaw out afterwards; the inside of the airbox gets coated in frost.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom