Total loss | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Total loss

Can replace any mangled component with a spot weld cutter and a mig welder.

I don't believe the frame is bent

There is no mention of it in the estimate

The car is definitely repairable, but the estimate the collision center is providing exceeds what the insurance company deem the value of the car

Waiting to hear back from the adjustor

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Estimate
5c2cb5710f7125f5bd25f47f2eb92141.jpg
dcf4570b3e07f650a534b8cc5dc9c0be.jpg
c47c9f579292cedabc8e0123fd31f9d1.jpg
a75adeb7983430ea59829e5f428cbddb.jpg

Thanks for posting. Some interesting things in there (eg. ~$1000 for trim pieces, R&R steering gear assembly for 3 hours, disconnect battery for 20 minutes).

Yeah I've done tie rods on alot of cars, never had to remove a rack, even for inners. Charging for every body clip, even though most if not all will be re-useable. Charged $140 for new hood hinges, the hinge is probably the strongest part of the hood assembly, no way they're bad. Noticed there's alot of extra unnecessary ****, and alot of nickel and diming. Sadly crooked shops drive our insurance rates.

Not sure what you're trying to fight for here. The value of your car is probably around $5000, insurance companies will generally write off a car when repair estimates come close to 70% of the replacement value, so say $3500.

Sure you can scavenge the internet and junkyards for parts and do the repair in your garage for $1k, but your insurance company isn't going to do that.

I don't see anything terribly egregious in the estimate, they're basically covering their bases. The last thing an insurance company wants to do is go low on the estimate and then find that the car needs more work and they should have written it off in the first place. Remember that if the insurance company agrees to fix the vehicle, they then are responsible for fixing it to the same or better condition that it was prior to the accident. For a car this cheap, with that much damage, it's just not worth the headache.

Yeah, its unfortunate how bloated our insurance/ insurance repair facilities are; in the grand scheme of things you could probably DIY that repair for a few thousand, but the moment that its an insurance job and theirs some level of liability, the shop will nickle and dime it to death. As a insurance job I cant see that work being anything less than 5k.

For a 2 generations old Civic with 180,000km on it, anything more than a bumper tap will write the thing off. Its not worth the insurances time or effort to
fix the car.

Not sure what you're trying to fight for here. The value of your car is probably around $5000, insurance companies will generally write off a car when repair estimates come close to 70% of the replacement value, so say $3500.

Sure you can scavenge the internet and junkyards for parts and do the repair in your garage for $1k, but your insurance company isn't going to do that.

I don't see anything terribly egregious in the estimate, they're basically covering their bases. The last thing an insurance company wants to do is go low on the estimate and then find that the car needs more work and they should have written it off in the first place. Remember that if the insurance company agrees to fix the vehicle, they then are responsible for fixing it to the same or better condition that it was prior to the accident. For a car this cheap, with that much damage, it's just not worth the headache.

When I wrote off a van some time back the insurance company gave me two options.

1) Take the write off amount and go shopping..IIRC $10K

2) Take the wrecked van and the payout minus what they would get for the wreck IIRC The van and $6-7K

Since the van had been used to remove a fire hydrant I went with #1. Also the van was lien free favouring #1.

The OP has a different situation in that he owes on the car and the first cheque goes to the finance company. I'm not in the market so feel free to correct numbers.

Redger says a value of $5K so Insurer cuts a cheque for say $2k to the finance company and $3k to the OP and reclaims a bit from the wreckers, say $500. OP goes shopping with $3K in his pocket

Alternate #2 OP keeps the car and takes $4500 in hopes of doing it himself but keep in mind that $2K of the money belongs to the finance company and they might want it now because the wreck has no collateral value. OP has a wreck and $2500. I'm not sure who picks up the tab for storage and disassembly. It won't be free.

Where is the car now?

If it isn't at the OP's home it will need a tow or reassembly. A tow could be a couple of hundred but reassembly just isn't going to happen due to costs and liabilities.

If the OP needs a car for work and has to rent, the coin in his pocket will be gone before the car is fixed.

The curse of the scenario is that the OP may have been very comfortable with the car from a reliability viewpoint. If you go shopping with $5K you could be buying someone else's troubles. If the difference between the options was closer the repair could be somewhat justified.

There are no good choices just less bad. I can't see how fixing the car would make sense.

Feel free to adjust my numbers.

Just a quick update

Finally got the car back repaired

Insurance didnt want to fix it and ended up paying me with a buy back option

I decided to fix the car and keep it

No structural damage - just body and head light

Thanks for evryones help
0bcdafe30569765457da80cef2cb46b2.jpg

What was your true repair bill, if you don't mind.

Remember to keep your receipts of the repairs in case another accident happens and repairs are needed in the same areas. You'll have to show your receipts, otherwise the insurance company will assume you took the cash and didn't do any repairs.

Trade in time you will need to declare wreck with car fax, that is when you will take a huge hit. Drive it till it dies, only way you win.

Trade in time you will need to declare wreck with car fax, that is when you will take a huge hit. Drive it till it dies, only way you win.

Noob question: how would they know if he doesn't declare it ?

Depends on if the insurance company branded it. If it was never officially written off on their books they may never have bothered, therefore the ownership would not carry a rebuilt status.

OP should be able to detail if that happened - ownership would list "BRAND-REBUILT" on it, and he would probably have had to get it structurally inspected before it would be allowed back on the road.

permit.jpg

Depends on if the insurance company branded it. If it was never officially written off on their books they may never have bothered, therefore the ownership would not carry a rebuilt status.

OP should be able to detail if that happened - ownership would list "BRAND-REBUILT" on it, and he would probably have had to get it structurally inspected before it would be allowed back on the road.

permit.jpg

I didn't know a car can go back on the road if it's brand status is rebuilt. My understanding is that for motorcycles, if it's branded rebuilt it won't ever be able to be considered road worthy again.

I didn't know a car can go back on the road if it's brand status is rebuilt. My understanding is that for motorcycles, if it's branded rebuilt it won't ever be able to be considered road worthy again.

A car can go from "Brand-salvage" (IE, written off) back to "Brand-Rebuilt" (IE, back on the road), but the latter is indeed not possible (In Ontario at least) for a motorcycle. Further to that, any motorcycle that was ever branded as rebuilt in any other province (some allow it) cannot be put on the road here.

There was a thread here a few months back about a guy who bought a MC out west somewhere (or maybe moved here, I forget exactly) and then found out he couldn't actually put it on the road here because it was previously written off and branded rebuilt out there.

A car can go from "Brand-salvage" (IE, written off) back to "Brand-Rebuilt" (IE, back on the road), but the latter is indeed not possible (In Ontario at least) for a motorcycle. Further to that, any motorcycle that was ever branded as rebuilt in any other province (some allow it) cannot be put on the road here.

There was a thread here a few months back about a guy who bought a MC out west somewhere (or maybe moved here, I forget exactly) and then found out he couldn't actually put it on the road here because it was previously written off and branded rebuilt out there.

Thanks for clarifying. Brutal story!

Did you get it fixed from an independent shop?
Looks good btw.

Insurance would NEVER agree to a rental car for weeks. When my last vehicle was written off, they made to offer, to the finance company AS soon as that was accepted I had to return the rental. I said it has been two days, I haven't even found a replacement vehicle. I said even if I had it likely wouldn't be ready at dealership. Insurers reply was too bad, if yo keep rental past 5 pm today your paying for it!!!

The only time you get a rental for more than a couple of days is if the vehicle is being repaired.
Last time I wrote off a car I had a rental for months.
Someone backed into my 944 and again I had a rental for like a month or more (can't remember exactly) because the first body shop screwed up the paint so bad the next one couldn't fix it. Finally got it sorted out at body shop number 3 but it took awhile.

Both separate insurance companies.

Just a quick update

Finally got the car back repaired

Insurance didnt want to fix it and ended up paying me with a buy back option

I decided to fix the car and keep it

No structural damage - just body and head light

Thanks for evryones help
0bcdafe30569765457da80cef2cb46b2.jpg

How much did the repair actually cost? I'm assuming nowhere near $8k.

Back
Top Bottom