Motorcycle vs Epoxy Garage Floor? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle vs Epoxy Garage Floor?

The stuff in a box from the local hardware store looks great once first done but cannot stand up to Canadian winters. I have done my garage twice in the last 5 years and it needs another complete coating. It is a bit slippy when wet but i constantly squeegee which helps, but the salt and wide car rubber tires tend to lift the paint. The kits go on sale for 100 bucks but it is a pain to clean and remove everything from your garage.
Pros-Looks, easy cleanup
Cons- doe$n't la$t, a bit slippy

The stuff in a box from the local hardware store looks great once first done but cannot stand up to Canadian winters. I have done my garage twice in the last 5 years and it needs another complete coating. It is a bit slippy when wet but i constantly squeegee which helps, but the salt and wide car rubber tires tend to lift the paint. The kits go on sale for 100 bucks but it is a pain to clean and remove everything from your garage.
Pros-Looks, easy cleanup
Cons- doe$n't la$t, a bit slippy
I use the epoxy floor paint, I find that doesn't chip and peel like the 2 part kits. It's also cheap -- you can paint a 2 car garage floor for about $65 including antislip.

That sure as heck looks a lot like the stuff my dad and I used on his garage. It held up OK if you're only parking a car on it. But if you actually use the space as a garage space, dragging floor jacks across it, putting down jack stands, weld splatter, bench grinder, etc it will only last so long. The high wear areas are pretty worn. We even used tsp to clean and prep the floor before applying and gave it ample time to dry between.

TSP is NOT proper prep. I have an industrial unit, that we use as a dog grooming shop, concrete floor. Almost 2 years ago I painted it AFTER I did the PROPER concrete prep, (took 4 days for 750 Sq ft), applying cleaners and acid to etch the concrete, then painted the entire shop. In the area where clients enter I added the non slip silica to the paint. there is NO way anyone is slipping on that area. The silica is specifically designed for this application and has held up EXTREMELY well. There is constantly water spills, as well as urine at times on the floor. Thus far everything has held up very well. So bottom line is, it is all about the proper prep. TSP, is great for dry walled areas etc. but not as the ONLY prep for a concrete floor

This dyes an existing slab, you apply a skim coat of dyed concrete or are you dying the entire slab pour?

Slab is poured, dried and built on. I covered the garage floor with Tyvec and my concrete expert said he would dye it for me in the spring. .... will know more about the process once it happens.

We also poured 2 decks and gave them an exposed aggregate finish and that is really neat! Looks awesome and the exposed aggregate provides excellent winter traction. Highly recommended upgrade to concrete that needs to look better then regular old concrete.

Been eyeballing this roll out flooring from Costco. Will it hold up to a Canadian winter is the deciding factor? It's not cheap, but sure looks nice!

https://m.costco.ca/garage-flooring.html

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

$2 a sq ft is pretty damned cheap. I'd want to see reviews before I bought it. I'm not convinced about sheet vinyl being a great garage floor material. It should be much warmer to work on though.

EDIT:

Definitely strong marketing wank there. Two products by the same manufacturer are described as "commercial-grade thickness". One is 0.055", one is 0.1". Interestingly the weight/sq ft is similar. If they throw in a 5+ year warranty in a commercial application, I will believe their commercial grade claims.

Last edited:
$2 a sq ft is pretty damned cheap. I'd want to see reviews before I bought it. I'm not convinced about sheet vinyl being a great garage floor material. It should be much warmer to work on though.
One of the testimonials noted was the overall warmth of the garage in the winter... this type of flooring may pay for itself over time in home heating / natural gas. Concrete retains cold.

It could happen. I've noticed Costco doesn't have any longterm reviews which indicates they're not allowing negative feedback. Home Depot sells it as well.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....age-floor-cover-and-protector.1001033783.html

Some of those reviews make me smile. It's like old women keeping the plastic on their furniture to keep it clean.

"I bought 2 of these to protect my new epoxy garage floor from being burned by hot tires, which is a problem with this flooring."

Some of those reviews make me smile. It's like old women keeping the plastic on their furniture to keep it clean.

"I bought 2 of these to protect my new epoxy garage floor from being burned by hot tires, which is a problem with this flooring."
Yes, I agree. I'm not buying until I see how it looks after two years with Canadian winters. The vynil look very thin:

https://youtu.be/kKYtdA0X28c

This would work fine in a warm climate. Canada would need a tougher product. I was thinking of buying industrial rubberized mats and linking them together. Rubber would take more punishment than vynil and give you a warm, insulated garage in the winter.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom