Motorcycle vs Epoxy Garage Floor? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle vs Epoxy Garage Floor?

Fr0stByte24

Wondering if that is a bad combination? I guess as long as I don't come flying into the garage after a rainy ride it should be fine, right?

Any recommended companies in the GTA?

My nearly 60 YO floor still works and has no coating. Is there a reason for the finish?

Pro's include ability to find dropped items (Depending on colour)

Con's include slips and maintaining scratches from side stands.

I have an epoxy garage floor. I added $15 worth of anti-slip microbeads to the topcoat, that was enough for 800sq'.

I just really like the look of them, nothing wrong with the current concrete so it might be a future project. I like the anti-slip microbeads idea, didn't know they could do that. Single car garage so hopefully it wont be too expensive.

I've mixed sand into sealer as a grippy topcoat before. It doesn't look quite as nice but it is much less slippery. Using a proper anti-slip additive sound like an even better idea.

Have you looked at dyed concrete? That's what I'm going to put on my new garage floor, if your existing concrete is not all stained up and oil soaked it looks great and won't alter the characteristics of the concrete. ... is a fraction of the cost of epoxy.

Have you looked at dyed concrete? That's what I'm going to put on my new garage floor, if your existing concrete is not all stained up and oil soaked it looks great and won't alter the characteristics of the concrete. ... is a fraction of the cost of epoxy.

This dyes an existing slab, you apply a skim coat of dyed concrete or are you dying the entire slab pour?

Epoxy just gets super slippery when it's wet. I may have taken a few chunks out of it with my kickstand so be careful.

did mine last year....added the silica sand that was provided with the clear top coat, still slippery when wet, but I have the carpet under the bike, and try to keep the area dry

ZnuKljq.jpg

lJq7nZC.jpg

2VnRSqp.jpg

3B3c94O.jpg

That sure as heck looks a lot like the stuff my dad and I used on his garage. It held up OK if you're only parking a car on it. But if you actually use the space as a garage space, dragging floor jacks across it, putting down jack stands, weld splatter, bench grinder, etc it will only last so long. The high wear areas are pretty worn. We even used tsp to clean and prep the floor before applying and gave it ample time to dry between.

That sure as heck looks a lot like the stuff my dad and I used on his garage. It held up OK if you're only parking a car on it. But if you actually use the space as a garage space, dragging floor jacks across it, putting down jack stands, weld splatter, bench grinder, etc it will only last so long. The high wear areas are pretty worn. We even used tsp to clean and prep the floor before applying and gave it ample time to dry between.

Any time I have seen grit in a top coat, it required recoating ~ every year to replace the granules knocked loose.

OP

Come look at my 20 year old epoxy floor in my garage. Do it right and kickstands are irrelevant.

If you aren't willing to invest in doing the proper concrete preparation than don't bother putting it down. You are wasting your time.

Rent diamond grinder from home depot.
100% solids Epoxy only
Base coat at 150 sq ft per gallon and chicken feed dry play sand into the wet epoxy until no resin shows at about 0.5 lbs per sq ft
Let cure overnight
Sweep up sand not stuck
Seal the floor at 150 sq ft per gallon with epoxy

It will be slip resistant and durable.

Last edited:

your are absolutely correct, if you do all that, then yes it will look like crap very quickly, and will have to be redone over and over again. I use mine as a garage and store my bikes, cars, snowblower, lawnmower and so on, as it's a garage and not an industrial unit for day to day repairs....

If I was to use it the way you describe, it would just have a concrete seal to keep the dust down, and make for easier clean up of oil spills and the like, just as we had in the unit we used when we ran a machine shop, sounds like something you should have done in your garage instead of the epoxy flooring.

Mine was done to look nice, there was no need for functionality.....

This cost me about 300 bucks, you want something industrial, your looking at about 3 Grand, that stuff you wont even grind or sand off without a struggle....

OP

Come look at my 20 year old epoxy floor in my garage. Do it right and kickstands are irrelevant.

If you aren't willing to invest in doing the proper concrete preparation than don't bother putting it down. You are wasting your time.

Rent diamond grinder from home depot.
100% solids Epoxy only
Base coat at 150 sq ft per gallon and chicken feed dry play sand into the wet epoxy until no resin shows at about 0.5 lbs per sq ft
Let cure overnight
Sweep up sand not stuck
Seal the floor at 150 sq ft per gallon with epoxy

It will be slip resistant and durable.

I bet your epoxy was not the stuff you buy at Canadian Tire or Home Depot, no matter what your prep work is like, that stuff will not stand up to much of that type of use....

It's a thin film water based Epoxy with vinyl flakes. May as well left that stuff in the box.

TSP wash is not concrete preparation. It's concrete cleaning.

dont bother with the Home Depot stuff, waste of $$

as Bakaboy said, surface preparation, right materials, right application method will get you good results.

It's a thin film water based Epoxy with vinyl flakes. May as well left that stuff in the box.

TSP wash is not concrete preparation. It's concrete cleaning.

What is the rough price of a decent epoxy(materials only as proper prep should cost the same regardless of product)?

I bet your epoxy was not the stuff you buy at Canadian Tire or Home Depot, no matter what your prep work is like, that stuff will not stand up to much of that type of use....

That's what I'm saying, don't bother with consumer based flooring options.

Actually good prep with a lame *** product will outlast the best material with poor prep.

You can buy the 100% solids Epoxy resins. Most are classified as a control sale but some manufacturers skirt the "for industrial use only" and they can be bought at construction supply shops.

The sand broadcast is key however as it builds mass that gives you want is called 'integral' slip resistance. No sand particles being knocked out. The greater thickness with the sand broadcast improves the abuse resistance immensely.

You cannot build mass with a sand broadcast into solvent or water based resins.

You can buy the 100% solids Epoxy resins. Most are classified as a control sale but some manufacturers skirt the "for industrial use only" and they can be bought at construction supply shops.

Is an open garage door suitable ventilation or is SCBA required? We are dealing with a ton of exposed surface.

Back
Top Bottom