GPS's for finding twisty roads? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GPS's for finding twisty roads?

Used phones for GPS use are cheap and don't need a network.

Huh not so sure about that, if it is not connected to the network then how does it know where it (your location is)?

GPS is GPS ....it will locate you where ever you are on the planet.

What is the question is how good are the maps which all devices rely on.

Something like Furkot has access to a wide range of off road maps that can be used for creating a route then transferring via GPX.

I doubt any app has winding roads features mapped off road ( off pavement yes ) ....

but the mountain bikers have extensive apps available

IMG_4042-pdf.jpg

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/the-10-best-apps-for-mountain-biking/

ios version for iphone

https://www.runtastic.com/en/apps/mountainbike

Here is some good coverage for off road - iphone based

237876_2713_L2.jpg

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/expe...how-to-make-one-using-an-iphone-for-under-150

He makes a good point - having the satellite available as well

Example of How Satellite Images Save Your Butt
The screen shot below shows how satellite images can save you: I was riding a single track at Cow Mountain (coming down from the upper left corner of the screen). I did not have a track so was following the OHV map. When I got to the junction, I went right but quickly felt like something was wrong. I looked at the satellite image and could quickly see the section I just rode had three variations and I was now backtracking on an alternate variation. I was able to correct course and avoid other trail variations not shown on the OHV map that would have had me going in circles.

237874_22941_XL.jpg

the big advantage using a smartphone is flexible use and low costs. You are not locked to one manufacturer.

This is good advice too

Power Source
The best option is to wire your battery to your phone by:
a) - installing a Battery Tender Junior - has an SAE connection
b) - buying a Battery Tender Quick Disconnect Plug with USB
c) - run a USB cable for your phone from under your seat, around your gas tank and to the GPS mount.

NOTE: the USB adapter may slowly draw power, so you need to disconnect it and/or plug in your battery tender with not riding for a week or more.

External Battery Power Backup (optional)
We recommend either a solar charger or an external battery in case your phone battery drains faster than expected or the connection to your motorcycle battery stops working. Just about any $20 external battery will work. Solar chargers have a bigger quality spread as we detail in our solar charger review.

I often just use my Microstart to power the phone from my tank bag instead of a wired USB outlet.

Last edited:
Huh not so sure about that, if it is not connected to the network then how does it know where it (your location is)?

As MacDoc said modern phones and not that modern anymore use real GPS. They do not rely on cell towers anymore as the phones have GPS receivers in them. Certainly is nice for a cheap GPS when travelling. I bought all of Europe on my moms iPhone for when she went to Germany last year and was doing a lot of driving around. Did not use data on her phone and she did not need to carry a car GPS and mount with her all the time. They can be slick and easy to use, but for me when I am planning a trip I will take Garmin and Basecamp any day of the week over any cell phone option. Just my personal preference. I use my phone for nav if I just want to get somewhere in the moment while driving.

As MacDoc said modern phones and not that modern anymore use real GPS. They do not rely on cell towers anymore as the phones have GPS receivers in them. Certainly is nice for a cheap GPS when travelling. I bought all of Europe on my moms iPhone for when she went to Germany last year and was doing a lot of driving around. Did not use data on her phone and she did not need to carry a car GPS and mount with her all the time. They can be slick and easy to use, but for me when I am planning a trip I will take Garmin and Basecamp any day of the week over any cell phone option. Just my personal preference. I use my phone for nav if I just want to get somewhere in the moment while driving.

I guess MacDoc said that without say that...;)

Interesting I didn't realize smartphones have GPS receivers as well as using network towers and WIFI to map out stuff. Honestly I have had a iphone 5S since release with no need to upgrade so I haven't keep my nose into the newer tech etc.

I do something similar when I am overseas in Europe I download all the offline maps to Maps ME so I have less trouble finding places. Street signs over there do seem to be lacking for whatever reason.

I've had an outdated flip phone for years, haven't had any reason to upgrade it yet

Though there seem to be some aps with Map data in the APP already so the phone can just use the GPS data and put it on the map which removes having to buy data usage making it a good idea to just get a new phone & GPS in one.

Still don't like dropping almost 400 on a phone just for the sake of GPS, I'll visit a few stores see what they got but won't hold my breath... Just can't win lol.

Last edited:
I've had an outdated flip phone for years, haven't had any reason to upgrade it yet

Though there seem to be some aps with Map data in the APP already so the phone can just use the GPS data and put it on the map which removes having to buy data usage making it a good idea to just get a new phone & GPS in one.

Still don't like dropping almost 400 on a phone just for the sake of GPS, I'll visit a few stores see what they got but won't hold my breath... Just can't win lol.
There's a kyocera phone on amazon, shock proof and water resistant that seems pretty popular for this use. Under 100 all in.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I guess MacDoc said that without say that...;)

Interesting I didn't realize smartphones have GPS receivers as well as using network towers and WIFI to map out stuff. Honestly I have had a iphone 5S since release with no need to upgrade so I haven't keep my nose into the newer tech etc.

I do something similar when I am overseas in Europe I download all the offline maps to Maps ME so I have less trouble finding places. Street signs over there do seem to be lacking for whatever reason.

Your iPhone 5S will have GPS built in so you could buy an app from Garmin, TomTom or whoever and go that route. I would make sure you have the option to download the maps though, I think some give you the maps but they do not directly download onto your device and would thus use data. You can download by region, with the European maps for my moms iPhone I just put on Germany as she would not be leaving the country. She could use the rest in the same way your iPhone uses Google Maps with data if there was a sudden need and no wifi to download the map set she needed.

If your bike can go offroad or you're comfortable offroad get a backroads map capable GPS. I've had more fun exploring using this feature than zipping through twisty roads actually. I have roads and backroads overlayed and as I'm riding can see a trail coming up.. Take it...explore. Rinse and repeat. Get to see some neat places at times or trails along lakes etc. As for twisty roads...I use the zoom feature on Google maps and street view if available to check the surface. Not a lot available for out in the boonies for street view though.

Back
Top Bottom