• Yes, but not yet

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No, this does not suit my bike

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

RichyBugs

Hey Guys, I recently made some panniers for my 650 (rack as well) and thought that maybe there would be some people on here interested in having some made up. I looked at aftermarket panniers...then saw the cost and played around with the idea of measuring and making my own to fit the bike, not just geometrical "boxes". Well after some fettling I was able to do it; currently I am working on Solid-Works models with injection moulded plastic top pieces similar to those on the BMW and Triumph Tiger panniers. Full disclaimer these were my first even sheet metal project however I've been using them for a couple months a this point with no issues at all. If I can get enough interest and reason to design these things I wouldn't mind making some for folks local at a much better price than those from overseas etc. Since I was a kid I loved building, and now, maybe I can find something to build; let me know, I'll include pictures of the originals that sit on my 650r. They aren't lookers, however, I am a proud maker nonetheless. I'll try to include a poll for simple answers, but please if you have ideas, requests, etc, feel free to post here; or PM. Ride safe everyone, especially those year round riders like myself :wink:

Attachments

• 22858399_284025362091319_5495281398191226880_n.jpg
    22858399_284025362091319_5495281398191226880_n.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 23099352_123923151617587_4330229080579375104_n.jpg
    23099352_123923151617587_4330229080579375104_n.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 102
They look nice, congrats. It would be helpful if you gave people an idea of price (eg. in like w touratech, 1/2 touratech etc). At the right price you may have a waiting list, once you pass the price of the established brands you will have trouble moving just a few units.

Why are you thinking about injection molding? It's hard to find a more capital intensive way to do this project (unless you are just buying someone elses lids that fit on your bottoms).

I would look into a way to seal them, waterproof bags shoved into a sheet metal box doesn't normally end well.

Last edited:
They look alright. There are a few online how-to to make aluminium boxes or to adapt ammo boxes as luggage too. You would have to make a generic set that fits on multiple bikes. The trick is mounting them to multiple bikes.
alluboxes51.jpg

Yeah, I know a guy who does thermoplastic moulding as well, options will definitely be weighed; having said that the boxes will be made completely from scratch. Only the corner pieces would be plastic, majority would still be aluminium, as for the price I am speaking with some plastic workers as well as metal distributors to work that out, best guess thus far for a full on box would be around 350 Canadian pesos and made local, might be able to get that down some more later on with bulk buys etc. They would likely look like the Triumph panniers, as I lack a sheet metal press to go smooth Touratech style.

Nice job, I like the look. I think you did a bang up job, and I was a journeyman sheet metal worker for years doing mainly custom metal fabrication. Two thumbs up!

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Yeah there would be 6 different width and taper angles etc for different bikes, the ones on the 650 are wider at the bottom as well as back, they taper in two directions to fit the bike, the rest of the aftermarket designs are literally boxes.

Nice job, I like the look. I think you did a bang up job, and I was a journeyman sheet metal worker for years doing mainly custom metal fabrication. Two thumbs up!

Thanks Iceman, good thing my criminal justice degree came in handy; as fire starter while working on the boxes, HA. Getting more into the design stuff now, hopefully will have something to show as a proof of concept soon..ish

Best of luck in your venture. A few models that will suit many bikes should be a good strategy. The price sounds like a winner.

Would the hinge be better at the front...in case the latch isn't secured or breaks, the wind won't flip it open.

Best of luck in your venture. A few models that will suit many bikes should be a good strategy. The price sounds like a winner.

Would the hinge be better at the front...in case the latch isn't secured or breaks, the wind won't flip it open.

10-4, thanks man, yeah the proof of concept will likely have two draw latches to allow he box to be opened in either direction; having said that, I have yet to have a draw latch fail on me (even the tiny ones I had rushed from McMaster Carr for the first ones) at 220km/h (closed course). The new ones will have much more substantial locks as well as mechanisms.

Not trying to be a bummer. But the word bespoke prevented me from reading further. Over used, douchy word. Sorry

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I mean, that seems like more of a you problem to be honest, it was only used in the thread title, not in the actual dialogue; however I can see why, I don't use it regularly, nor do I see it often, however it can be a "douchy" word as you say. The thought is that the panniers aren't just boxes, they fit the bike, maximize space, and minimize the need for the boxes to stick a mile out; mine are just past the handlebars.

Nice work! $350 would be an amazing price point. If you can build them and it's worth your time at that price, I'm sure you'll be busy when word gets out.

Nice work! $350 would be an amazing price point. If you can build them and it's worth your time at that price, I'm sure you'll be busy when word gets out.

Until the government finds out and the paperwork and legalities make you double your price.

They remind me of the riveted lunch boxes that started with a guy fed up with the crappy ones off the shelf. Made his own and everyone else wanted one, beating a path to his door. Not sure how he made out.

My gut feeling is that the price point will be hard to keep if you go for volume. Employees, rental space and machinery are not cheap.

Doing custom one offs could work but you would have to do a time and material study to see if it provides an income or is just a paying hobby.

The early Goldwings had fore and aft latches and lost tops were common.

They do look good for an adventure type bike. Unlike plastic, aluminum can be bashed somewhat back into place.

Good luck

Last edited:
This will read long, I've looked at this for a long time.
In my opinion $350 is way to inexpensive, thats $290US, you'll never keep up with production if you get going. They will bury you in orders.

If thats your first sheet metal project, thats very impressive. I spent a decade in metal work (autobody). They look very good as starting point. Id reconsider dual latch and front opening. I'd test a front hook and rear latch, reason being passenger never catches heel or pantyhose on a latch, and a dummy driver never thinks 'i'll just reach back and open the box a bit and get my banana, swoosh off goes the lid.' He looses the lid and it hits a car behind.....and then you learn product liability insurance.
Second point, set up a business and have product liability insurance before much else happens. Its 2018, if you make it idiot proof, a better idiot shows up.
If your mounting system was compatible with SW motech (industry leaders) half your battles of mounting is over. Use thier bars, your boxes, or style your bars after an existing product.

There is a startup company in Alberta , it was a metal shop that has gone into boxes, you can find them on kijiji. They cost more than your projection, and dont look a lot better. Industry benchmark is Jessie luggage, made in Arizona. Study his boxes. Touratech is also a top product, they have design ideas that are well proved out.

There is a mixed bag of potential customers, Jessie can be fixed with a stout log and ball pein hammer, touratech has better style, but parts are really expensive and they are hard to fix. A water resistant gasket system is needed, rain at 80kms goes everywhere, as does dust.
I have triumph factory bags on my bike, they are very elegant, really expensive and a terrible design, hard to use.

Boutique manufacturing is doable ( I like bespoke, but I'm a dandy) , but its going to have a steep curve. I have experience in small production runs, challenge 1 is getting volume to get to a price point and finding a sub contractor that takes your 50 part order seriously. Under estimating start up costs and prototyping stalls a lot of businesses before they get going.

Best of luck , its a very fun project.

How do you plan to handle the different racks different bikes would need? Needing to measure out and fabricate for bikes you have never done before will be timely and will require that someone leaves their bike with you for all the planning you would need to do to get the right fit.

Might be best to figure out a good starting market and build exclusively for that, like KLR's, GS's or bikes that would typically want this rugged looking paneer. Maybe try to get some people who are ok with leaving their bike in exchange for greatly reduced panniers.

This will read long, I've looked at this for a long time.
In my opinion $350 is way to inexpensive, thats $290US, you'll never keep up with production if you get going. They will bury you in orders.

Best of luck , its a very fun project.

This!

Back
Top Bottom