Sturgis 2018 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sturgis 2018

happycrappy

Site Supporter
Shaking off the winter crap with thoughts of my trip this summer. Planning on doing Sturgis, but I'll probably only be at the rally for a day. Any suggestions on camping/cheap accomodations in neighboring areas not caught up in the event? I'm setting aside 10 days for the trip, so I'll have a good 4-5 days of cruising around time available. Any routes that are a must-do?

I did the trip last year, will probably do again this year. I stayed there 4 days last year and probably will stay 6 days this year.

I stayed at the Buffalo chip camp ground which is pretty much a party place.

If you want something quiet and peaceful, i would recommend grabbing a motel in rapid city.

In terms of riding, the black hills which is tbe name of the general vicinity has some of the best riding roads i have ever rode and plenty of it. All the roads are nicely mapped out according to skill level. You would need more then one day.

And if you are not going there for the party atmosphere then I would recommend showing up a couple of days before the rally starts this way you can ride the roads while they are relatively empty

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Dumb questions from a new rider. What is there in Sturgis, what is the appeal to riders? (you are talking about Sturgis South Dakota)
The route, the view, meet up, twisties...all of it?

Not dumb questions.

Sturgis SD is one of the larger motorcycle meets/rally.

There are others. Daytona is another. Americade is another.

Camping, drinking, riding, gathering of many riders with the majority being HD but, other brands are we represented.

There are concerns/entertainment for many. Country and southern rock being highlighted.

Sturgis itself is located in the heart of the “Old West”.

Lots of good riding in surrounding areas.

The die hards make the trek annually. Some make it a bucket list thing. Others find it a bore and rather ride without the crowds and noise and pirate gear.

A few friends of mine like to go before the actual date of the event to enjoy the roads and not get raped with high priced camping or hotels. I’ve never made the trip. Although the idea of riding with said buddies for over a week is appealing, it’s hard to justify at this point.

I’ve done Daytona the week before bike week and had a blast. Still plenty of bike and vendors and places to have a beer and listen to live music. But I trailered down my Buell and rode around for a week before packing up and driving back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not dumb questions.

Sturgis SD is one of the larger motorcycle meets/rally.

There are others. Daytona is another. Americade is another.

Camping, drinking, riding, gathering of many riders with the majority being HD but, other brands are we represented.

There are concerns/entertainment for many. Country and southern rock being highlighted.

Sturgis itself is located in the heart of the “Old West”.

Lots of good riding in surrounding areas.

The die hards make the trek annually. Some make it a bucket list thing. Others find it a bore and rather ride without the crowds and noise and pirate gear.

A few friends of mine like to go before the actual date of the event to enjoy the roads and not get raped with high priced camping or hotels. I’ve never made the trip. Although the idea of riding with said buddies for over a week is appealing, it’s hard to justify at this point.

I’ve done Daytona the week before bike week and had a blast. Still plenty of bike and vendors and places to have a beer and listen to live music. But I trailered down my Buell and rode around for a week before packing up and driving back home.

I will have to look into it and the surroundings.

Good thing I am riding HD, well for now.

That part about the "Old West" interests me.

Thanks for the feedback.

Had an opportunity to do Sturgis a few years ago with a few coworkers...but they wanted to not only take a week to get there, but then just sit there for multiple days and drink their brains out, and then 5-6 days home. Not my idea of fun honestly, I don't sit still well, and their plan of most days being only 400-500KM of riding on the to/from legs would drive me insane.

I do think the wife and I are headed for Americade this year however along with friends.

I will have to look into it and the surroundings.

Good thing I am riding HD, well for now.

That part about the "Old West" interests me.

Thanks for the feedback.
There are a ton of huge American historical places to visit near Sturgis. Unfortunately it's very hard to see them during the actual bike event, unless you have the patience for endless lines.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

You can ride to Sturgis in 2 days.
It isn’t cheap but it can be done.
Ride 5-6 hours from Toronto to Muskegon MI
Jump on ferry and cross Lake Michigan to Milwaukee WI.
Ride 300 kms to La Crosse WI.
Next day ride 1000kms to Sturgis.
Ive been 4 times and I find the best time to be there is the Thurs Fri Sat before the Rally.
I stay in Custer SD and its pretty busy there but not near as busy as Sturgis….rooms are affordable also.
Beartooth Pass is an absolute must if you are going out there.
Sooo many things to see and do.
I90 or I94 are absolute gems for riding on.
Straight flat and little traffic with speed limits of anywhere from 65mph to 80mph.
I hope you like corn….cause that’s all you are going to see all the way out J

You can ride to Sturgis in 2 days.
It isn’t cheap but it can be done.
Ride 5-6 hours from Toronto to Muskegon MI
Jump on ferry and cross Lake Michigan to Milwaukee WI.
Ride 300 kms to La Crosse WI.
Next day ride 1000kms to Sturgis.

Or just ride 2 1200km days, skip the ferry and all the associated costs and delays, and done.

On a trip like that, planned and timed carefully, a 1200km day can be done in only 11-12 hours, possibly even less depending on some variables Still lots of time for a sit down dinner, a few beers, and a long nights sleep. The border and Chicago are the only 2 iffy parts, and again, planning and timing matters there.

Thanks guys, good info there. I'm afraid I wont be able to do 1000km days anymore so it would be 'slow and easy' for me ! What's the problem with Chicago, just traffic ? Surely can't be worse than the 401 can it ? Thanks again...Roadie.

if you look at that area on a map
the.bottom of lake Michigan
horrendous traffic starts well before Chitown

think of trying to take the 401 from Mississauga to Bowmanville.... at 5 PM, Friday of long weekend

the ferry across the lake skips all that
don't know if saves any time
but is much more enjoyable than gridlock

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Hey Roadie.
Traffic around Chicago can be horrendous and dangerous…worse than Toronto.
I did an Iron Butt back in 2013 and found a great way to avoid it
https://goo.gl/maps/TnsHo6BPgJE2
I started Saturday morning around 5:30am and there was none too little traffic all the way to Wisconsin.
Now I’m not suggesting that you do an Iron Butt but leaving that early in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday can be advantages to you.
If you don’t do the expensive ferry route then realistically you’re looking at 2.5 to 3 days to get there.
Then the same to get back.
That’s eating up a lot of time of your holidays to get there and back
(Unless of course you are retired J)_
Another option is to go across the top (Mackinaw City – Escanaba area)
I did this in 2014 averaging 900km a day.
Less traffic and nice area.
Once you make your way to I94 its smooth sailing.
If I were to do it now….I would truck my bike to Calgary and fly out and meet her.
Do Banff then Glacier NP then Great Falls, Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone then onto Sturgis and then ride back.

So it looks like we're going to make an adjustment on the date - don't care about the rally anyway, so it'll be better to go on a different week altogether to be able to tour around. Only thing now is finding a suitable trailer to rent; our deal fell through. Two full size cruisers, so the hunt begins...unless anyone here has an RV trailer with a built in tow hauler section to rent!

..........Or just ride 2 1200km days..............

I've done a few 1,000 - 1,100 km days, (none back to back) and they're really not a lot of fun. Turns a trip from a pleasure to an ordeal. Take a few days longer to get there and enjoy the ride down and back.

JavaFan and Kiley, once again thanks for the great advice on route to take. As a matter of fact I am retired so 'time is on my side' as the song goes ! I will check out the ferry as it does cut out a big bad traffic area and who doesn't like a nice sea/lake cruise. Very early stages of planning and not even sure if I should try it by myself but 6 mths. to decide. Thanks again...Roadie.

I did 4 days there with 600 km per day. But we had a brand new Rider i the group with us and I did not mind going with the New Riders pace to help her out. if I was to do it again I would do it in 3 days and do 800 per day.. Chicago was a nightmare so next trip i will either ferry across or head further south to avoid the whole Chicago area.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom