2009 kawasaki ninja zx6r over heating | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2009 kawasaki ninja zx6r over heating

I have had numerous ZX6R thermostats fail causing overheating...Most people do not flush coolant for years and years and years, and that causes problems.

Like everything on bikes lots of people don't flush fluids until something breaks or leaks....Fork oil, shock oil/nitrogen, brake fluid and coolant

Change the rad cap while you're at it.

via Tapatalk

I have had numerous ZX6R thermostats fail causing overheating...Most people do not flush coolant for years and years and years, and that causes problems.

Like everything on bikes lots of people don't flush fluids until something breaks or leaks....Fork oil, shock oil/nitrogen, brake fluid and coolant

I've seen one 09 that shows that it's overheating but actually wasn't . Turned out at the end it was a cluster issue.

I've seen one 09 that shows that it's overheating but actually wasn't . Turned out at the end it was a cluster issue.

+1 - if the fan is coming on when its supposed to, and its not pissing coolant, it may not be broken at all but just the gauge reading wrong.

yup
I don't do bike mtce
but I've seen many rads and pumps changed
only to have a sensor or wiring issue turn out to be the problem

Process of elimination for me, Id personally start with a thermostat and a flush because I've experienced that many times already...And a thermostat is cheap, and most bikes could benefit from a coolant flush anyways....Then go from there, a gauge isn't cheap, but if he need's one I got used ones for sale, so hit me up lol

There are many other possibilities but like I said I just go with what I have experienced in the past with that bike since owning it, being one of the first people to get that bike early in Dec 2008...Start with small easy and cheap, then go up the ladder and hopefully dont get past temp sensor into leaking head gaskets and $800 guages

You dont even need to buy a thermostat you can remove and test it in pot of water on your stove if you have a decent thermometer

Last edited:
If you want the full list of trouble shooting from the Kawi service manual here is a copy paste from the troubleshooting section on Overheating. Good luck hopefully its cheap and easy fix

Overheating:

Firing incorrect:
Spark plug dirty, broken, or maladjusted
Spark plug incorrect
ECU trouble

Muffler overheating:
For KLEEN, do not run the engine even if
with only one cylinder misfiring or poor
running (Request the nearest service facility
to correct it)
For KLEEN, do not push-start with a dead
battery (Connect another full-charged
battery with jumper cables, and start the
engine using the electric starter)
For KLEEN, do not start the engine under
misfire due to spark plug fouling or poor
connection of the stick coil
For KLEEN, do not coast the motorcycle
with the ignition switch off (Turn the ignition
switch ON and run the engine)
ECU trouble

Fuel/air mixture incorrect:
Throttle body assy holder loose
Air cleaner housing holder loose
Air cleaner poorly sealed, or missing
Air cleaner clogged
Compression high:
Carbon built up in combustion chamber

Engine load faulty:
Clutch slipping
Engine oil level too high
Engine oil viscosity too high
Drive train trouble
Brake dragging
Lubrication inadequate:
Engine oil level too low
Engine oil poor quality or incorrect
Oil cooler incorrect:
Oil cooler clogged
Water temperature meter incorrect:
Water temperature meter broken
Water temperature sensor broken

Coolant incorrect:
Coolant level too low
Coolant deteriorated
Wrong coolant mixed ratio

Cooling system component incorrect:
Radiator fin damaged
Radiator clogged
Thermostat trouble
Radiator cap trouble
Radiator fan relay trouble
Fan motor broken
Fan blade damaged
Water pump not turning
Water pump impeller damaged

... as long as the thermostat is fully open before the water actually starts boiling (little air bubbles clinging to the pot don't count) it's unlikely to be the source of the problem here.

Back
Top Bottom