2009 kawasaki ninja zx6r over heating | GTAMotorcycle.com

2009 kawasaki ninja zx6r over heating

Anarion

Hey guys I've been having an issue with my bike over heating, I'm just trying to get some opinions on what it could be before i drop money into it.

Some background info2:2009 kawasaki ninja zx6r with 24k on it. The only time the bike tends to overheat is when I'm really pushing it on the highway and in constant high RPM which doesn't make sense to me as the air passing through should cool the bike down, on regular hot days on stop and gotraffic its hovers between 100-110 degrees. Rad kicks in at about 105 degrees Celsius, had a coolant flush done on it, rad cap seems to hold pressure.

When on the highway cruising at high speed the bike will go to 120 degrees Celsius and sometime surpass that and just flash high but I have no idea what's causing this, any input would be helpful

my first thought would be thermostat not working. My second thought would be air trapped in the system (I don't know about that bike, but some like to trap a pocket of air). Third thought is temp sensor problems (especially if no other symptoms).

Check thermostat.
May be of the type that sticks closed when it fails.

Thanks guys!! Yea I was thinking the thermostat could be an issue aswell, I'll probably just get that done by the time summer comes around. But would it really cause it to overheat even when riding in the highway at high speeds with a lot of air passing through the bike?

Thanks guys!! Yea I was thinking the thermostat could be an issue aswell, I'll probably just get that done by the time summer comes around. But would it really cause it to overheat even when riding in the highway at high speeds with a lot of air passing through the bike?

If the t/stat is stuck shut then no coolant flows to the rad, it just keeps recirculating in the motor.

had the same problem on a different bike. Warped head. only overheated under load. pressure of the piston was enough to push air through a warp in the head. if you can get the bike up temp rev it high and hold it. see if coolant bubbles into overflow bottle.
not saying this is your problem but it could be another option.

thermostat does sound good too.

...........My second thought would be air trapped in the system (I don't know about that bike, but some like to trap a pocket of air)..............

I would certainly check this out. Some bikes require a specific process to purge air from the system after a drain and refill. On the The ST I have you run the bike with the rad cap off until a bit warm, then while covering the opening with a rag I blip the throttle a few times. Sounds strange, but I don't argue with the shop manual and ST forum members comment this is a necessary procedure.

There are several factors that would cause this....
so this a 2009 zx6r - the 599cc version ?

1. When its overheating on the hwy - whats the ambient air temp?
2. What does the RAD look like ? it is clean ? any damaged fins?
3. Who flushed the coolant in the past ? Was there anything at the bottom of the rad ?
4. what sort of service history? have the valves been checked ? How does the motor sound? any power loss?
5. Has the bike ever boiled over?
6. have you checked the water pump for flow?

There are several factors that would cause this....
so this a 2009 zx6r - the 599cc version ?

1. When its overheating on the hwy - whats the ambient air temp?
2. What does the RAD look like ? it is clean ? any damaged fins?
3. Who flushed the coolant in the past ? Was there anything at the bottom of the rad ?
4. what sort of service history? have the valves been checked ? How does the motor sound? any power loss?
5. Has the bike ever boiled over?
6. have you checked the water pump for flow?

1. Regular summer day kind of weather it will usually happen anytime I'm cruising in constant high rpms

2.rad seems good no dents and I try to keep it as clean as possible

3.i had my coolant flushed by a bike shop who told me everything looked fine

4. Service wise not too much, I just get a general check up done every season

5. What do you mean boiled over?

6. I have personally not checked the water pump

If the water pump seal fails, there is usually a 'weep' hole in the casting to allow coolant to leak out.
If it doesn't overheat in stop-and-go traffic and the fan comes on when the temp gauge rises I'd still check out the t/stat and the rad cap.

If the water pump seal fails, there is usually a 'weep' hole in the casting to allow coolant to leak out.
If it doesn't overheat in stop-and-go traffic and the fan comes on when the temp gauge rises I'd still check out the t/stat and the rad cap.
I don't have any coolant leaking at all, also in stop and go traffic the bike is fine only when I'm in constant high rpms does the bike tend to over heat.

I don't have any coolant leaking at all, also in stop and go traffic the bike is fine only when I'm in constant high rpms does the bike tend to over heat.
What is constant high rpm cruising are your running around in too low a gear or cruising at 260?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

frekeguy gave you a good list OP

what I haven't seen mentioned yet
though it's unlikely, is a sensing issue

see if you can borrow an IR temp gun
when the engine is showing overheat
stop and shoot various parts of the engine
verify if it is actually >120 C

What is constant high rpm cruising are your running around in too low a gear or cruising at 260?

Thats when it should be running nice and cool it doesn't even need the fan at speed your are sure the coolant is full?

Yup I'm sure the coolant is full, I got a full flush done last season, levels were always good, overflow levels were good and no leaking at all.

Yea the temp gun seems like a good idea,but when riding and it begins to overheat i can distinctly feel the eat emitting off the engine as compared to other times at lower temperatures

Yup I'm sure the coolant is full, I got a full flush done last season, levels were always good, overflow levels were good and no leaking at all.

Yea the temp gun seems like a good idea,but when riding and it begins to overheat i can distinctly feel the eat emitting off the engine as compared to other times at lower temperatures
Was it overheating before the flush?

Back
Top Bottom