Off Road Insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Off Road Insurance

canuckwr250

Site Supporter
Ok just got another dirt bike after several years of street riding,is State Farm still the cheapest to go to? I'm in Whitby so any other places you guys think I can try.
Thanks
Fred

Weird. is there some special language to use with TDMM? They just told me they do not insure off-road motorcycles. ATVs are ok, street bikes are ok, but not off-road bikes. Huh?

Weird. is there some special language to use with TDMM? They just told me they do not insure off-road motorcycles. ATVs are ok, street bikes are ok, but not off-road bikes. Huh?
They don't. Scuba Steve's bike is blue plated I believe.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Well that's certainly a good price.

Just got a quote from State Farm $180 a year incl.theft.

They gave you theft on a dirt bike? Which bike? I used to have theft on my 2006 YZ250F but hey say they don't offer comprehensive coverage on dirt bikes any longer. However, my friend has 3 dirt bikes insured for liability and comprehensive with the same State Farm agent that I'm with! I've tried several times and they just won't do it. I'm going to try again though.

They don't. Scuba Steve's bike is blue plated I believe.

Weird I have a KX100 insured with melloch that is green plated as well as the blue plated one. I never asked for offroad insurance though just insurance. Also have fire and theft on them but you need to qualify for melloch.

Weird I have a KX100 insured with melloch that is green plated as well as the blue plated one. I never asked for offroad insurance though just insurance. Also have fire and theft on them but you need to qualify for melloch.
I'm wrong anyway lol. Forgot I had my kx250 with TD general for liability only. God awful expensive though, $280/year with 2 other bikes, 2 cars and house.

Thanks Iceman, will keep calling around.
Anyone else with a favourite?
My bad, I did have a kx250 with TD general up until November 2017. Offroad liability only, expensive at $280/year. I'd ask again, or try state farm.
Maybe td doesn't do stand alone policies for offroad? Do you have other insurance with them?

My bad, I did have a kx250 with TD general up until November 2017. Offroad liability only, expensive at $280/year. I'd ask again, or try state farm.
Maybe td doesn't do stand alone policies for offroad? Do you have other insurance with them?

Based on what you guys said and what they told me, I'm guessing they don't actually do offroad insurance and quoted it as if its blue plated. Which is weird they do that since most green plate bikes arent blue plateable. Which could also be why its more expensive? Not a smart system, but whatever. I will ask them again next time I call. I was quoting for car/house/streetbike/dirtbike, and they wouldn't even quote the wr. everything else was fine though.

Blue or green, the quote (and/or ability to quote) has to do with how the bike is classified in their system database. I had a 2013 WR450F (rare blue plated unicorn) quoted at 160/year and had the agent confirm SPECIFICALLY whether it was covered on the street or in the dirt. She confirmed that even of it had a blue plate, I was covered. The system makes an assumption of what type of plate type the bike falls into and goes off that....these systems are rarely 100% accurate and some bikes can be registered as either blue or green...

The catch can be the other way when (rarely though) some owners of blue-classified bikes decide to green plate only (for obscure reasons like race regulations perhaps), then they still pay the blue plate rate.

Back
Top Bottom