scammers preying on classified ads | GTAMotorcycle.com

scammers preying on classified ads

nikos1965

I posted to sell my Motorcycle up on a few sites including this one and I have had 4 replies back from scammers offering me more than my asking. Its starts with a simple text message asking me if bike is still available and what condition it is in, than after I reply the story is similar where there always not located close by and how they can send a driver to pick up my bike with a bank certified cheque and if im okay with that.

Has anyone experienced this while advertising anything? I than get nasty with the texts and they usually do not resond back. Last night I told the guy I am reporting him number to the Police and he told me to F off and go right ahead. Do they think Im going to take a worthless counterfeit cheque and sign off on the bike like that? WOW! How do you stop these criminals.

I posted to sell my Motorcycle up on a few sites including this one and I have had 4 replies back from scammers offering me more than my asking. Its starts with a simple text message asking me if bike is still available and what condition it is in, than after I reply the story is similar where there always not located close by and how they can send a driver to pick up my bike with a bank certified cheque and if im okay with that.

Has anyone experienced this while advertising anything? I than get nasty with the texts and they usually do not resond back. Last night I told the guy I am reporting him number to the Police and he told me to F off and go right ahead. Do they think Im going to take a worthless counterfeit cheque and sign off on the bike like that? WOW! How do you stop these criminals.

Tell them to come pick it up and have a cop waiting.

This is nothing new, it has been happening for years. I've had it happen with motorcycles, cars, even our RV when we sold it.

Best bet is to not put your cellphone number in ads - use the email relay services that most online buy/sell services like Kijiji/Craigslist etc now offer and stick to email instead. Less risk with your phone number ending up on some mass telemarketer list that way as well.

Good to know this is going on, but I never give possession of anything until the cheque clears, certified or not.

Yep. Happens on a regular basis.

Had this one guy tell me he's buying for an uncle that's in the army in the states.
And then another guy that said he's in Yukon...

This scam has been happening for a decade, with variations. The most popular one for awhile was an offer to overpay direct to your paypal account to cover shipping charges (usually to their son studying in africa) and you can pocket the rest for your time and effort. You would see the payment arrive as promised and ship the item out. A few days later when you attempted to deposit from Paypal to your bank, Paypal would inform you the payment was in fact not real and in some cases where it actually cleared they would come after you for the whole amount. So now you`re out money and whatever you were selling.

Cash/Interac/EMT/Bank Draft(although i hear this is the new scam now)

Anything else is playnig with fire.

Similar experience as everyone else, I usually get a good pile of them for vehicles. Even watch a bank draft, either call the bank listed on the draft, or do what I do, cash only, straight on the ad, no exceptions. Typically someone offering to buy it sight unseen is the give away, or the crappy grammer/typos.

I did have one person offer to pay in weekly installments. Sure. You pay all of the installments, then its yours. Plus a parking fee. Miss one, and its mine. Sign here. lol.

You can use an app called burner to get a temp number for posting stuff in classifieds. Once your need is finished burn the number. Your real mobile number is kept safe.

IMO the "Buyer" doesn't want the bike. If it's a scam registering the bike or re-selling it provides a link to his physical location. He wants an in to your financial situation, Paypay, bank account etc

When you have a feeling that its a scam, ask yourself some questions.
Would I do what this guy is doing.
Offer a certified cheque rather than a bank draft.
Would I buy a motorcycle without test riding or seeing it in person first.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom