Tie down front forks on flat bed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tie down front forks on flat bed

arogal

Got my bike towed home from work today with CAA. The driver tied down my front forks of the zx6r on the bottom part, rather than the triple tree or handle bars. Would this have done any harm to the forks? I understand they are made for lateral movement, but putting constant horizontal pressure on them for the 1hr it was on the flat bed I'm not sure of. They aren't leaking and from the seals and all it good.
Would just hate to run unto problems with a new bike due to a stupid mistake like this (if it would even do any harm).
Thanks!

I always tie at the bottom. No particular reason other than advice I got in the 70's from an old timer from Snow City who told me tying high kills fork seals. Strangely the only time I've ever had a fork seal issue was on an M50 that was tied high!

Now that I have Helibars if my bike ever gets towed they must not tie it down from the bars as I have seen many do in the past. Says specifically not to do that in the Helibar instructions.

its fine, and better, he'll have put enough load on the straps to keep it from moving but not enough to damage anything.

Some unskilled towers clamp them down till the forks bottom, thats very bad, and some tie high and stuff gets bent. They just dont know any better.

It's fine to tiedown from the lower triple clamp.The trouble starts when you bottom the suspension out completely creating a "near" hydraulic lock.If you use a chock and proper straps that cannot come off if the bike bounces,you will be fine.
I had my wing towed by caa last year.had to show the guy how to do it.He had been towing for 12 yrs and never loaded a wing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom