1987 Sportster value? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1987 Sportster value?

Two trains of thought on this based on the fact the current relative seems to have a sentimental attachment to it.

1/ If the relative really honestly wanted to see it back on the road and returned to life, he/she should sell it to the other relative for less than the value for a 30 year old bike that's going to need work. If there's any question on how much that might end up being, ask him to take it to a shop first and get a list of what it needs and then negotiate a price based on that.

2/ Unfortunately, the reality with vehicles is often that the owner has a sentimental value that disregards real world factors such as age, repairs needed, or even the fact they may never ride/drive it again. At that point, there's a very slippery slope to a vehicle ending up costing the buyer far more than if he just walked away and bought something elsewhere.

How about junior agrees to the $4,000 price setting the money aside. Junior uses the money to get the bike safely on the road and gramps get what's left over.

2) I've seen sentiment cost the seller big bucks. Over ask and it sits for years deteriorating and the true value goes down.

hate to break it to ya bud, harley is 'just a motorcycle' too. Unless they come with pancake makers from Milwaukee

fishhook-300x258.jpg

What he said.

You must drink that HD purple drink.

My '99 was sitting for 15 years. Changed the tires, cleaned the carb, replaced the regulator and rode down Rte66 to California, up the coast, back along the pony express trail. Put 30k on it so far. Zero oil burning. Zero issues. If he took care of it there won't be any problems, but $4000? Forget it. The owner's a dreamer.

Both the R3 and Ninja 300 will accelerate from 120 to 150 faster than majority of 4 wheeled vehicles on the road and even more so if geared down.
uuuh... nope. Thes bikes take 7+ seconds to accelerate from 120 to 150 - that's faster than a bus, but not most cars.

Last edited:
OP, having looked around over the weekend, they run 2,500 to 8K (asking, not maybe getting price) . 3,500 to 4K is not a lot of cash, yoiur son sounds pumped about the bike so make it happen. Even if he ends up not putting it on the road for 4/5 yrs, he can maybe fix some stuff, budget and get some stuff fixed, learn some life lessons.
We aren't talking about a 30K hotrod that needs a big parking space.

Its a cool thing for your son, and for many the HD brand holds a cache. He can always sell it on if he has to.

uuuh... nope. Thes bikes take 7+ seconds to accelerate from 120 to 150 - that's faster than a bus, but not most cars.

I'll double check my GPS lap timer and get back to you on that one.
Z

I can't find my laptimer right now...but after watching a couple videos from race weekends and knowing corner speeds etc, apx 50km up to 145km in ten-ish seconds on a Ninja 250. The 300 will obvious do better.

There's this video on youtube...but this dood is shifting above the optimal power zone. Bike falls off over 11k. Also probably stock sprockets.
7 seconds for 120km-150km but all worst case scenario.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyU5nVgkS4g

My '99 was sitting for 15 years. Changed the tires, cleaned the carb, replaced the regulator and rode down Rte66 to California, up the coast, back along the pony express trail. Put 30k on it so far. Zero oil burning. Zero issues. If he took care of it there won't be any problems, but $4000? Forget it. The owner's a dreamer.

Sweet!! How was it stored?

...There's this video on youtube...but this dood is shifting above the optimal power zone. Bike falls off over 11k. Also probably stock sprockets.
7 seconds for 120km-150km but all worst case scenario.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyU5nVgkS4g
Never thought of YouTube, but that's a good place to get the rough numbers. I know these numbers from years of riding these little bikes on the street, north of 120kmh you're running out of steam. Getting smoked by your daughter in a Yaris is no fun.

Back
Top Bottom