1987 Sportster value? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1987 Sportster value?

In HD circles, metrics don't get a seat at the table

Only matters if you are looking for a seat to begin with.

I don't focus my enjoyment of motorcycling around a brand. I ride with a wide variety of like minded friends who ride everything from Harleys, to Metrics, to Indians, and everything in between. We ride for the fellowship, not to sit around and turn our noses up at other riders simply because of the decal on the tank.

It's also been my observation that those who are hyper focused on their "brand" often spend the least amount of time actually riding vs posing in the nearest Tim Hortons parking lot.

Only matters if you are looking for a seat to begin with.

I don't focus my enjoyment of motorcycling around a brand. I ride with a wide variety of like minded friends who ride everything from Harleys, to Metrics, to Indians, and everything in between. We ride for the fellowship, not to sit around and turn our noses up at other riders simply because of the decal on the tank.

It's also been my observation that those who are hyper focused on their "brand" often spend the least amount of time actually riding vs posing in the nearest Tim Hortons parking lot.

give it a rest.

OP, its a family bike so the negotiation should be pretty simple. Give it a look over, and tell the owner your looking at tires, hoses belts and some brake work and that's not free. The owner is emotionally invested or it wouldn't have been kept for a couple decades so be prepared for that. Good news is it's not hard to work on and there are replacement parts for everything on that bike.
That is the nice part of HD, parts are available for everything they made through aftermarket suppliers, and they did build many thousands of sportsters.

Not much to add except to tell your son to look at some images on the net for customized sportys. The stock one is a blank palette, he can build one to his exact tastes and there is no limit to ideas.

Yeah, sorry, but if there's one thing in the motorcycle world that irks me it's the overzealous off the charts brand loyalty thing, and anyone who dare ride anything else is "beneath you" and will be shunned.

I don't care if you're on a 250cc beginner bike or a $75,000 custom, we should all be treated the same. The "I won't even lower myself to talking to you because you're not on a my chosen brand or motorcycle" thing is silly.

Seems most of you missed the point that it is his Father In laws bike that his son is interested in so not likely the old man is looking to rape him on the price. But I agree, not worth much as not a great ride and at that age needs LOTS of things looked at.

If the OP is looking to get the bike back on the road for sentimental reasons then go ahead and transfer it and then spend the bucks to update it.

IMHO these old Sportsters are good for short rides to the local Timmies and not much more. When I was in Finger Lakes area met a person who had rode in from North Bay on her stock Sportster. She was happy to have arrived, but was in serious pain and on the road had to stop every 45 minutes or so to recover from the terrible OEM seat and the vibration and was not looking forward to the ride back.

Yeah, sorry, but if there's one thing in the motorcycle world that irks me it's the overzealous off the charts brand loyalty thing, and anyone who dare ride anything else is "beneath you" and will be shunned.

I don't care if you're on a 250cc beginner bike or a $75,000 custom, we should all be treated the same. The "I won't even lower myself to talking to you because you're not on a my chosen brand or motorcycle" thing is silly.

I've had a lot of fun over the years trolling guys like you.

I've had a lot of fun over the years trolling guys like you.

Says a lot about ones maturity level. Intentional trolling is the lowest of the low online.

Last edited:
I will have to show him the replies! I mentioned buying a wannabee sportster as one can be had really cheap but it didnt fly with him lol. My step father thought it was worth around 4k so I dont see him taking less the $3,500 min.. My son is no wrench either so dad would be stuck with that, maybe I can swing him too a metric???

Tell your father in law to give it to the kid, it's just been sitting for 18 years!!! But yeah running and rideable Harley's don't get much cheaper then about $2000 so I'd subtract some of the big needs the bike has from that number and if he takes it great if not there's a bunch of other stuff out there.

Your son could pick up a mid 2000's Sporty for $3500-5500 pretty easily and be quite a bit farther ahead then buying that 87.

I will have to show him the replies! I mentioned buying a wannabee sportster as one can be had really cheap but it didnt fly with him lol. My step father thought it was worth around 4k so I dont see him taking less the $3,500 min.. My son is no wrench either so dad would be stuck with that, maybe I can swing him too a metric???

$4K for a 20 year old Sportster ? The guy is dreaming in technicolor....

$4K for a 20 year old Sportster ? The guy is dreaming in technicolor....

Even more so when it’s actually 30 years old. ;)

If he's not hung up on owning a Harley, a late model metric will be cheaper, more dependable, and a provide a better riding experience.

My favorite beginner metrics. You can find these in great condition for under $3500:
Vstar/250. Probably the best learner bike available. Cheap to buy and maintain, 85MPG, extremely simple and dependable. I've ridden these 600KM/day comfortably at highway speeds. BEST FEATURE: economically insurable for under 25 riders.

Vstar 650. A great learner bike. Cheap to buy and maintain, 60MPG, extremely simple and dependable. This is a middleweight, closest metric to an HD Sporty. BEST FEATURE: most comfortable middleweight for smaller riders - popular 'wife's bike'

Boulevard M50: Best performing middleweight, muscular styling, dependable and comes with a sportier suspension -- can be ridden more aggressively than most cruisers.

There are other midweight options like Honda's Shadow, SUZUKY s40 and Kawi Vulcans -- I just find them way too boring and unfun to ride.

find it hard to believe a 250 cruiser is comfortable at highway speeds

If he's not hung up on owning a Harley, a late model metric will be cheaper, more dependable, and a provide a better riding experience.

No argument the metrics are cheaper but how do you figure they are more dependable or provide a better riding experience? Especially the riding experience, any metric cruiser I've ridden is about as boring to ride or look at as watching paint dry.

find it hard to believe a 250 cruiser is comfortable at highway speeds
I hear you, but I have to say I was OK riding from Toronto to Killbear on a little Virago. It wasn't my first choice, it was my son's 'beginner bike', a friend who was also learning had one so I decided to support him by riding with him on a "250 trip". The bike traveled fine at 110 and I did have the odd burst to 125.

It's certainly not a cross country touring or freeway bike, but it is remarkably comfortable day touring backroads at speeds up to 100KMH.

Back
Top Bottom