1987 Sportster value? | GTAMotorcycle.com

1987 Sportster value?

What is "warmed up"?

Probably best to post photos....but I wouldn't be paying much for a 30 year old bike that has been sitting for 17 years and will need almost everything replaced. Maybe $1000 if it runs absolute max.

A search of Cycle Trader in the USA suggests asking prices in US$ anywhere in the $2000 - $5000 range. Asking prices and selling prices are obviously two very different things, and the fact that this one hasn't been on the road in so long and will surely need work to put right is going to subtract something.

A bike that has essentially sat for 18 years? I would need to be paid $2000 to haul it away.

OP,

No more than a couple of grand. There is nothing special about that particular year.

It’s common to have it converted from a 883 to 1200.

If it’s a 1250 kit, they are a little bit more.

87 have a 4 speed tranny and are not much joy to ride after a hour ride.

Can be a fun bar hopper but, there is a reason why Sportys are fairly common with low mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it’s a Harley, so it must be worth more, I still see 20 year old Harley’s with high mileage selling for ridiculous prices

Ok thx guys, I tried to post a pic but the file size was too large. It belongs to my father inlaw and my son was drooling over it so......

So you want to do an in-the-family transfer so that at least the bike will be on the road?

They're meant to be ridden, and it's better that, than sitting in the garage doing nothing!

Give the bike a gooooood overall check-over. Aside from making sure it starts and runs OK and that everything works, figure on replacing the tires at a minimum. Check EVERYthing that is made of rubber. Inspect the fuel lines and brake hoses. If it has a belt final drive (I know only enough about Harleys to know that SOME of them have a belt final drive, no idea if this one does ...) inspect the belt ... or perhaps just replace it no matter what. Flush the brake fluid ... watch out for Harley peculiarities, some of them use a special DOT 5.0 brake fluid that is incompatible with the rest of the world. Check ALL electrical switches. Anything that's prone to drying out, deteriorating, corroding, or seizing from age and disuse, needs to be checked.

No more than $1 a CC so $1200 or less

Not to mention it will need tires since the ones on it are 20+ years old. So take another $350 off for that.

Tell your son I have a nice cafe style 2008 Bonneville T100 with 16,000km for sale for $6,000 and ready to ride!

Last edited:
Ok thx guys, I tried to post a pic but the file size was too large. It belongs to my father inlaw and my son was drooling over it so......

I would say about $2000-2500. Sitting isn't a real problem if it was run each year, but the tires will likely be cracked and need replacement, plus a few other things.

I would say about $2000-2500. Sitting isn't a real problem if it was run each year, but the tires will likely be cracked and need replacement, plus a few other things.

lol

A common issue for this model is the ignition module.

Purrr like a kitten and then sputter. Think it’s vacuum leak or short somewhere.

Replacement can get expensive.

The “manifold” is just a piece of rubber. They can lose their seal and cause vacuum leaks.

Head light housing rust underneath.

And being a solid mount engine, does live up to a reputation of needing loctite for every Bolt, screw, etc.

They can be fun bikes. I had an 01 and you couldn’t really tell much of a difference from that generation to the previous.

There is large community for die hard sportster owners. Google and you’ll find lots of feedback on them.

It belongs to my father inlaw and my son was drooling over it so......

Is he handy?

No matter how you look at it, it's a 31 year old bike - pretty much in vintage territory now. Lots of vintage owners will tell you that they often spend more time wrenching than riding.

And yes, it will need some TLC - I agree, anything rubber needs to be given the fuzzy eyeball. Tires for sure, and be prepared to replace brake flex lines, possibly fork seals, etc.

I had a 1200 and it was great for 50 miles and up to 50 MPH. Small tank (range) and vibration are the two issues often raised. I don't think the Sportie has the same image at the bigger HD's.

They don't fetch big bucks so be careful of buying something that needs work. Having to R & R stuff could easily cost more than the finished product is worth. Just because you see them listed for mucho dollars doesn't mean they sell at that price.

There's nothing wrong with overspending on a restoration project if you are experienced and know for certain you will be happy with the bike for ten plus years. However if you spend $7K on a bike that will be worth $3K when you sell it in a year because it isn't right you have $4K less in your pocket to buy the one you really want.

Any hydraulic fluid will look like lumpy gravy and associated parts may be affected.

How old is your son and has he priced insurance for an older bike? Young guy + old bike = bad news

Looking for opinions on what its worth 37,000km, bored out, corbin, pipes mint condition. Not rode since 2000 but annual oil change and warmed up.
What it's worth and what it sells for are often different with Harleys. There are lots of folks looking to get into swashbuckling, the price of entry sits around $3500 for an old running Sportster. Try a lower offer, but I expect you'll be competing with at about $3500.

but I expect you'll be competing with at about $3500.

At that price there's a TON of Metric options out there that will be both much more modern, but likely certified and road ready....and much less expensive to insure as well.

Unless your son has a real thing for the HD badge, a metric may be the better route in the end.

And the Sportster tends to be looked down upon by even some in the HD circles themselves - A lot refer to it as a "beginner/chick bike, so he should understand he may get some (mostly) light-hearted ribbing from some.

But in the end, it's his ride, what others think shouldn't matter, but as we all know, for the younger crowd....often it very much does.

At that price there's a TON of Metric options out there that will be both much more modern, but likely certified and road ready....and much less expensive to insure as well.

Unless your son has a real thing for the HD badge, a metric may be the better route in the end.

And the Sportster tends to be looked down upon by even some in the HD circles themselves - A lot refer to it as a "beginner/chick bike, so he should understand he may get some (mostly) light-hearted ribbing from some.
In HD circles, metrics don't get a seat at the table -- not an option if you're entering the HD circle.

Back
Top Bottom