Is tail light with integrated turn signals legal in Canada | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is tail light with integrated turn signals legal in Canada

Haha, cops should be able to "mark" the lights with problems by banging them with their maglites. If you are dumb enough to smoke visual aids, you deserve a few thousand dollar bill.

It is interesting reading the wording around smoked headlights/taillights. The last time I read the laws, they were legal but you had to pull the smoked covers off at night. I don't know a single person with smoked lights that has ever taken them off. I can't remember what the rules were for indicators.

Well if the vehicle isn't legal to drive then they can tow it, fine the driver, pull the plates, and not permit it for road use until it's back in operable state. I'd say that does the job nicely.

re "dark smoked plate covers"

I would like to see a blitz on those.

Really? Of all the things that police could "blitz" you'd choose that? Why? How do dark smoke plate protectors affect you in any way?

Really? Of all the things that police could "blitz" you'd choose that? Why? How do dark smoke plate protectors affect you in any way?

It's been my repeated observation that people who make efforts to intentionally obscure/hide their plates are often amongst the worst offenders for driving like a dick. Coincidence? I think not.

The ability for the police to actually make out someones licence plate aside, when said idiots are driving dangerously and someone else wants to call *OPP or 911 to report them, the public should be able to see them as well.

They could add the blitz to the RIDE checks. One cop checks driver another checks the car in general. No change in manpower or time...unless something is improper.

For what it's worth, I've been running an integrated turn signal on my R6 for just over 3 years now; no issues with it. I should also mentioned it's smoked :D

Just make sure you spend the $ and get a good quality unit. I got mine from TST, the brake light on this smoked model is brighter than the OEM. I also have gotten in the habit of pre-flashing/strobing my brake lights for visibility. As far as turn signal visibility, its easily visible IF the person is relatively close to you (IE. them seeing your intention to change position is actually relevant to your safety in traffic)

I'd like to see a blitz on smoked headlights and taillights ... with cars included in that blitz!

Smoked tail lights and headlights is the most stupid things I ever seen and dangerous. Integrated tail lights are beautiful and cool but they are dangerous because you cannot tell apart if the biker is turning left or right.

It's been my repeated observation that people who make efforts to intentionally obscure/hide their plates are often amongst the worst offenders for driving like a dick. Coincidence? I think not.

The ability for the police to actually make out someones licence plate aside, when said idiots are driving dangerously and someone else wants to call *OPP or 911 to report them, the public should be able to see them as well.

totally agree.

Also tinted windows in cars that are more than legally allowed. we usually see those are involved in crime after the fact when they are trying to find the perpetrators.

I'd like to see a blitz on smoked headlights and taillights ... with cars included in that blitz!

I still can't believe that those are specifically allowed by law. What brain-dead politician thought that allowing them on the street should be legal?

I still can't believe that those are specifically allowed by law. What brain-dead politician thought that allowing them on the street should be legal?

What makes you think they are? You can buy blue,red and yellow flashing lights at princess auto.Doesn't mean it's legal to go out and play fire truck etc.

What makes you think they are legal? Service Ontario, (not sure of they still do), until recently were selling "smoke" licence plates cover plates. Didn't make them legal, to put on your car.

What makes you think they are legal? Service Ontario, (not sure of they still do), until recently were selling "smoke" licence plates cover plates. Didn't make them legal, to put on your car.

I'm so happy to see someone else noticed this. What a joke.

HTA 62(7). https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK119

Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles
62 (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

Attachment that affects lamps prohibited
(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),

(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or

(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

The way I read it, if you drive around with blacked out headlights and taillights and it is not between half hour before sunset and half hour after sunrise (or unfavorable atmospheric conditions) you are legal. It looks like smoked taillights remain legal unless they are not " clearly discernible" from 150m or more.

For what it's worth, I've been running an integrated turn signal on my R6 for just over 3 years now; no issues with it. I should also mentioned it's smoked :D

Just make sure you spend the $ and get a good quality unit. I got mine from TST, the brake light on this smoked model is brighter than the OEM. I also have gotten in the habit of pre-flashing/strobing my brake lights for visibility. As far as turn signal visibility, its easily visible IF the person is relatively close to you (IE. them seeing your intention to change position is actually relevant to your safety in traffic)

I also got mine from TST and love it, same smoked model but I got the programmable one. I've had many riders come pull beside me and compliment on how bright the strobe brake lights are. In terms of the turning signals, you can change it to sequential turn signals similarly to the ones on the newer Mustangs which really helps to distinguish which way you're turning compared to regular integrated turn signal

They aren't legal....neither is the plate surround most car dealerships put in front of your lic. plate. Actually even a clear cover is technically illegal.

The way I read it, if you drive around with blacked out headlights and taillights and it is not between half hour before sunset and half hour after sunrise (or unfavorable atmospheric conditions) you are legal. It looks like smoked taillights remain legal unless they are not " clearly discernible" from 150m or more.

That is not the correct interpretation. The conditions of 62(1) and 62(7) are separate - the reference to (1) in (7) is "the lamps that are required... by subsections (1), (2) and (3)" and does not include the conditions that require their use

I also got mine from TST and love it, same smoked model but I got the programmable one. I've had many riders come pull beside me and compliment on how bright the strobe brake lights are. In terms of the turning signals, you can change it to sequential turn signals similarly to the ones on the newer Mustangs which really helps to distinguish which way you're turning compared to regular integrated turn signal

Is the one available at TST made by them or Moto Dynamics?

Back
Top Bottom