Gopro or action cam guys... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gopro or action cam guys...

[h=2]I just bought a hero 5 session and will be mounting it to my helmet. I am wondering if any of you guys piggy back it with a power pack? I know the cam itself only runs for 1.5 to 2 hrs on a single charge so I am thinking about adding a power supply to it to extend the life. If you already do this which one do you use? Where do you have your pack mounted or stashed?[/h]

I rock a hero 4, have the batteries improved? I'm happy to get like a half hour out of one. No external pack but I carry spares when I'm using it.

Edit: oh wait you said session, is that a non-changeable battery?

If you were mounting it to the bike, I'd say go for one of those 12v power sockets with a usb adapter. Can't really think of a good way to do it to the helmet, unless you run a cord to a power brick in your pocket. That's always an option.

Last edited:
I rock a hero 4, have the batteries improved? I'm happy to get like a half hour out of one. No external pack but I carry spares when I'm using it.

Wtf. I had the 4 plus until it fell off and I lost it. The batteries easily lasted about 2hrs.

Yes. The sessions are the ones with the non changeable battery. I just got one for Christmas so I haven't used mine to see how long it lasts. I really like the idea of it though because is small.

If you were mounting it to the bike, I'd say go for one of those 12v power sockets with a usb adapter. Can't really think of a good way to do it to the helmet, unless you run a cord to a power brick in your pocket. That's always an option.

Seen a few vlogers with it on the back of the helmet, really small ones.

I run a xiaomi yi cam... i got an extended battery that lasts longer. So for 95% of the time i ride (commute) i have that one battery. If i do longer trips, i turn it on mainly for the scenic areas and can use my 2 batteries (although they require 2 different cases which is a pita)

Attach it to the bike, less likely it will fly off as your riding down the road. Also gives a MUCH better view and stability for viewing. Then you can power the camera via the bike.

Plus you do know that it is illegal to mount it to your helmet? Read the threads on why it is illegal. There have been convictions in Ontario for it. May never happen to you, but why take the chance. Adding a power pack to the helmet will just draw even more attention, and the possibility of getting pulled over.

Also gives a MUCH better view and stability for viewing.

I don't find this to be the case, depending on where its mounted. First of all i find that helmet mounted cams have way less vibration then mounting it on the vehicle. Second i think mounting it on the chin currently gives the best FOV with pretty much nothing you`re wearing or riding hindering any view.

Now i'm probably biased because I'm a big fan of helmet mounted cams. Having it mounted on the vehicle (even with an extra one pointing rear) cannot capture whats happening 'all around you'. I think it makes perfect sense to use your helmet as your forward FOV is substantial and anything happening to the sides (and to some extent rear) can be captured simply by turning your head (which is likely what you would do anyways).

Last edited:
I don't find this to be the case, depending on where its mounted. First of all i find that helmet mounted cams have way less vibration then mounting it on the vehicle. Second i think mounting it on the chin currently gives the best FOV with pretty much nothing you`re wearing or riding hindering any view.

Agree with this. Helmet mounted gives you the ability to look and shoot as well.

My GoPro Hero 5 lasts around 2.5hrs on a charge shooting at 1080 @ 60fps. Can carry an extra battery if I want a longer video, however a 64GB memory card pretty much fills up after about 6 hours of camera time...

Here are 3 videos:

Handlebar Mount (RAM mount) - Go Pro 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIiLHoUWQeo

Bike/Fairing mounted - Go Pro 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kGQN2MUGaA

Helmet Mounted - Contour Roam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSyuVb_YuTA

Plus you do know that it is illegal to mount it to your helmet? Read the threads on why it is illegal. There have been convictions in Ontario for it. May never happen to you, but why take the chance. Adding a power pack to the helmet will just draw even more attention, and the possibility of getting pulled over.

From what I've seen, those convictions were more like "Fries with that?" type of tickets where if you weren't doing anything stupid to begin with, you wouldn't have any issue.

However, I do agree that a power pack on a helmet is a TERRIBLE idea. Not because you have a better chance of getting pulled over, but an exploding Lithium Ion battery upon impact/puncture on the side of your helmet would not be a good scene.

In my experience (as noted in the last video), a helmet camera would likely just pop off in the event of an impact (even at low speed).

Last edited:

Now i'm probably biased because I'm a big fan of helmet mounted cams. Having it mounted on the vehicle (even with an extra one pointing rear) cannot capture whats happening 'all around you' and i think it makes perfect sense to use your helmet as your forward FOV is substantial and anything happening to the sides (and to some extent rear) can be captured simply by turning your head (which is likely what you would do anyways).

True, but it is illegal.

I find a proper rider has his/her head on a swivel and therefore you get dizzy watching the video, whipping all over the place. As for in the event of say a collision your likely NOT going to be looking where the collision is unless it is of you hitting something. Think about it, you see in your mirror a car racing up behind you about to rear end you, are you going to try to get out of the way or bother to look around to catch it on video? I think I will try to avoid being hit. Most times riders or cagers don't see they are about to get hit unless the vehicle is directly in front of them, so again the chances of having your camera pointed in the right spot is minimal. look at crash videos on you tube rarely is the rider with a helmet cam looking at the vehicle approaching from the rear or side, in a collision. Sure they will look AFTER the collision. But the damage to vehicles is just as much "evidence" as to how the collision occurred.

Lastly, helmet cams also tend to capture things like your speedo, which is not an issue if your a responsible rider. But when your doing 180 and if stopped the cops seize the camera and with a warrant, your sunk, you just provided them with the evidence. A "properly" mounted handlebar cam can have virtually no vibration, is never going to capture your speedo, will give a great POV, and will never get you get you pulled over or get loss, due to wind or impact.

Also when I had both rear and front facing cameras mounted on my bike and was sideswiped, (by a road rager), who then claimed I hit them. The cameras didn't capture the actual impact, but the insurance company, (who had listed me as at fault), were able to see that the bike jerked to the side as his vehicle made contact. Upon viewing the footage the insurer deemed me not at fault and him 100% at fault. So I have actual real life experience. Had I been wearing a helmet mounted cam, it likely wouldn't have moved or the other side could have argued it was simply a head movement of mine. So in that case the vehicle mounted camera, was 100% effective, (there was NO damage to my bike and his car had a dented rear drivers door, due to his coming into contact with my bike). So I can attest that a "properly" mounted vehicle camera can be just if not more effective.

Last edited:
True, but it is illegal.

I find a proper rider has his/her head on a swivel and therefore you get dizzy watching the video, whipping all over the place. As for in the event of say a collision your likely NOT going to be looking where the collision is unless it is of you hitting something. Think about it, you see in your mirror a car racing up behind you about to rear end you, are you going to try to get out of the way or bother to look around to catch it on video? I think I will try to avoid being hit. Most times riders or cagers don't see they are about to get hit unless the vehicle is directly in front of them, so again the chances of having your camera pointed in the right spot is minimal. look at crash videos on you tube rarely is the rider with a helmet cam looking at the vehicle approaching from the rear or side, in a collision. Sure they will look AFTER the collision. But the damage to vehicles is just as much "evidence" as to how the collision occurred.

Lastly, helmet cams also tend to capture things like your speedo, which is not an issue if your a responsible rider. But when your doing 180 and if stopped the cops seize the camera and with a warrant, your sunk, you just provided them with the evidence. A "properly" mounted handlebar cam can have virtually no vibration, is never going to capture your speedo, will give a great POV, and will never get you get you pulled over or get loss, due to wind or impact.

Also when I had both rear and front facing cameras mounted on my bike and was sideswiped, (by a road rager), who then claimed I hit them. The cameras didn't capture the actual impact, but the insurance company, (who had listed me as at fault), were able to see that the bike jerked to the side as his vehicle made contact. Upon viewing the footage the insurer deemed me not at fault and him 100% at fault. So I have actual real life experience. Had I been wearing a helmet mounted cam, it likely wouldn't have moved or the other side could have argued it was simply a head movement of mine. So in that case the vehicle mounted camera, was 100% effective, (there was NO damage to my bike and his car had a dented rear drivers door, due to his coming into contact with my bike). So I can attest that a "properly" mounted vehicle camera can be just if not more effective.

So is littering (people who throw cigarette butts out the window specifically grind my gears), jaywalking, etc.

I think what we can agree on here is, if you don't bring undue attention to yourself generally it should be fine.

Curious, can police seize anything they believe might be evidence to a crime that just happened? What do they specifically need a warrant for then?

In regards to what you may or may not see i don't fully agree with your opinion but there's no point to further hash it out. I'm glad in your situation the mounted video worked in your favour and i guess we'll just have to wait for flying drone like 360 cameras trailing our vehicle until we're completely happy with capturing everything going on.

Last edited:

Prior to telling this story, you implied that you no longer use front+rear cameras "When you had both rear and front facing cameras". Is there a reason why you stopped after experiencing a situation where it proved itself effective?

When it comes down to it, any video proof of an incident can be useful (assuming you're not at fault) to prevent a he-said, she-said situation. Even if you had only a front facing camera, whether it be mounted on the bike or not, I assume it would show yourself within your lane and the other driver crossing over and hitting you thus placing fault on the other driver.

IMO, the effectiveness of needing a bike-mounted front and rear facing camera wasn't proven in your case - just having video evidence of the incident.
If you were aware of the road rage situation, one would also assume you'd keep an eye on the driver and look over and see the driver-side door heading your way with a helmet mounted camera.

Last edited:
i have the GP 4 black 4k. shooting in 1080 superview (i think thats what its called) i can get 3.5 or 4 hrs using a gopro backpack if i turn off the wifi...wifi for the remote drains the battery fast.

i usually swap out the internal battery every fuel up, i bought some aftermarket vivitar batteries for dirt cheap with a charger...i think i got 4 batteries and the charger for $60 shipped off amazon.

Prior to telling this story, you implied that you no longer use front+rear cameras "When you had both rear and front facing cameras". Is there a reason why you stopped after experiencing a situation where it proved itself effective?

When it comes down to it, any video proof of an incident can be useful (assuming you're not at fault) to prevent a he-said, she-said situation. Even if you had only a front facing camera, whether it be mounted on the bike or not, I assume it would show yourself within your lane and the other driver crossing over and hitting you thus placing fault on the other driver.

IMO, the effectiveness of needing a bike-mounted front and rear facing camera wasn't proven in your case - just having video evidence of the incident.
If you were aware of the road rage situation, one would also assume you'd keep an eye on the driver and look over and see the driver-side door heading your way with a helmet mounted camera.

No, I continued to use the cameras, until the bike was written off by the goose, and somehow, the cameras, disappeared from the time I left it until, a friend seen the bike to recover my property.

As for looking at the road rager, I was slowing as traffic ahead was slowing to a stop and I was concentrating on the conditions of traffic, Without the cameras and subsequent videos the insurance company, (up until then it was a he said, he said situation), had deemed me 100% at fault for the collision. So indeed the fact that I had mounted cameras did indeed prove VERY effective.

So is littering (people who throw cigarette butts out the window specifically grind my gears), jaywalking, etc.

I think what we can agree on here is, if you don't bring undue attention to yourself generally it should be fine.

Curious, can police seize anything they believe might be evidence to a crime that just happened? What do they specifically need a warrant for then?

In regards to what you may or may not see i don't fully agree with your opinion but there's no point to further hash it out. I'm glad in your situation the mounted video worked in your favour and i guess we'll just have to wait for flying drone like 360 cameras trailing our vehicle until we're completely happy with capturing everything going on.

Yes police can seize items, that they believe contains evidence of a crime, However they must obtain a warrant in order to view the footage of, in this case a camera. The application will state exactly what evidence they are looking to obtain. The judge upon granting the warrant normally sets perimeters as to what they can and can not extract from the video. IE they say they are looking for evidence that you hit a pedestrian crossing the road. The judge will in his granting of the warrant state they can look for evidence relating to the striking of a pedestrian. IF while viewing the video the police see that you robbed a store 3 minutes prior, they can NOT use that video to then lay of charge of armed robbery. Instead they then have to develop other evidence that it was you who robbed the store.

Back
Top Bottom