TD General vs TD Meloche Monnex rate comparison? | GTAMotorcycle.com

TD General vs TD Meloche Monnex rate comparison?

rust0r

Looking for anyone who has experience with both companies. I was with TD General last year; after having spoke with both lines and being assured TD General would provide the best rate for my "professional group" (alumni discount).

Fast forward to late September; I get a phone call from TD General advising me to call Meloche Monnex as they have 'made changes' and are better suited towards people who have eligible discounts like myself.

I called Meloche Monnex today; was quoted 45% HIGHER than my current renewal with TD General. The girl on the phone told me she double checked with TD General and has the same information they do; and that my discount might be giving me a higher rate because "people who have used the group code may have been involved in a lot of accidents with injuries and payouts".

When I run the numbers online of both General VS Meloche Monnex; the quote given by ONLINE TD General is nearly identical to the rate TD General has given me for renewal. The rate ONLINE by Meloche Monnex is literally UNDER HALF of what they are quoting me now?

Does anyone have any experience/stories to share with them? Setting up with TD General the first go around was a nightmare in terms of receiving wrong information and having to go over things 5 times with different people; call backs, etc. I truly don't believe Moleoche Monnex is quoting correctly as this same thing happened with TD General my first call or two before they straightened 'something' out in their system. What recourse do I have?

Thanks all

Funny, I'm with TDMM. I'm getting very good rates for my car and bike. On Wednesday I called to get quotes on a new car I'm thinking of getting. The agent was very helpful and took time to explain rates, etc. (He also told me Wednesday mornings are a good time to call!).
The rates quoted were the same or lower than any comparables.
Insurance is a mystery - like they pull numbers out of a hat!

For anyone who finds this or might have similar issues in the future; just to post my resolution:

I got a call back from TDMM after consulting their underwriters, provided me with a new quote that was 40% of the original quote they gave me a few days prior. Apparently the initial lady I spoke to had not applied my years of being licensed/insured previously correctly. The instant he fixed that it dropped the quote pretty much in line with what their website had quoted me; he went over my policy details to ensure additional coverage I requested were present and it matched my TD General quote and then transferred me over to General who already knew the deal and promptly cancelled everything for me.

One thing I've learned over the years with bike insurance is if it sounds incorrect; it probably is!

My rate from TD MM is about 40% less than my TD General renewal/rate was last year. If you have a group/professional discount code I highly recommend checking them out. For me they were pretty much on par with Allstate however don't force us sportbike riders to bring our house and cars over. (Sorry Allstate but that's a sore spot for many of us, get our motorcycle business and treat us right and we will naturally bring over our business IMO).

Funny, I'm with TDMM. I'm getting very good rates for my car and bike. On Wednesday I called to get quotes on a new car I'm thinking of getting. The agent was very helpful and took time to explain rates, etc. (He also told me Wednesday mornings are a good time to call!).
The rates quoted were the same or lower than any comparables.
Insurance is a mystery - like they pull numbers out of a hat!

Numbers out of a hat is pretty much spot on!

It sounds like you had the guy I just dealt with who was quick and efficient and spotted her mistake immediately. I had a similar experience with TD General the first go around as well; until you speak to the right person who actually listens to what you're saying it's extremely painful.

Make sure you check all possible groups with TDMM. IIRC, the rate through my profession is ~30% better than my rate through uni alumni (everything else unchanged).

The phone experience with TDMM leaves a lot to be desired, that's for sure. Still will consider them in the future as they are usually by far the cheapest for me

An unexpected update; what an absolute DISASTER the entire experience from TD has been; both General and Meloche Monnex.

A few hours after posting my previous update; I got a call back from TD MM stating that my policy was denied by their underwriters as I didn't recently take a rider safety course (I had taken one back in 2008 ) and had a riding gap.

They were made aware of this when I first called them; they were apparently suppose to put that to their underwriting team BEFORE calling me back to finalize the policy. When I got the call back everything was 'good to go' on their end, policy was setup, banking info was given and it appeared to be a done deal. It was par for the course with my experience with TD General so I didn't suspect any snags. Apparently they are underwritten by a different company than TD General is and have a different set of standards/rules. 3 years uninterrupted experience or a rider training course.

Overall I wasn't too happy, several hours wasted and I was bounced back to TD General for my policy that was significantly higher than TD MM.

I've made the jump to All State as a result of my experience with TD, the slight rate increase from last year combined with the overall bad taste in my mouth from my experience with being bounced back and forth between brands was the last straw.

I previously mentioned I wasn't a fan of All State's approach to lock down home+auto business in exchange for supersport policies with fair rates but after giving it somethought yesterday and today; I take it back and really can't blame them.

Very few companies in the industry are offering solid rates across the board the past few years on these bikes. Any of these major companies (Statefarm, etc) could be doing the EXACT same thing they are doing to secure business but instead are thumbing their nose at long standing customers with outrageous renewals; at the end of the day I really can't fault All State for wanting their piece of the pie. I think only once these companies see the impact of their business decisions with motorcycle policies (losing home+auto, etc) will things start to turn around on a larger scale.

I had spoken with Matthew Camacho from All State last year but opted to stick with Statefarm for Home/Auto and TD for Motorcycle insurance; however after a slight increase from TD, my negative experience with their call center, and All State offering an even better rate than last year, it was an easy choice.

If you haven't gotten a quote from All State I'd highly suggest reaching out to Matthew. I can't say enough good things about him from my dealings with him last year and this week. He's very friendly and got back to me very quickly on all matters regardless of the mountain of questions and requests I sent his way.

Last edited:
Looks like TD MM has a bug on their online quote estimator. After running one quote, if you click on edit and choose a different motorcycle in the same category like a SS, the premium drops in half.

Tried Honda CBR 1000rr first, got almost 4k per year, then edited to pick Yamaha yzf r1, premium dropped to 2k. Tried the other way around as well, starting with R1, got 4k, then edited to pick Honda, premium dropped to 2k.

Given @rust0r's experience, probably won't be able to use this to our advantage.

Last edited:
The best part of it all was after they told me they couldn't write the policy with TD MM I got transferred back to TD General and asked them to review my rate due to the headache caused by both them and TD MM; explaining you're both "TD" at the end of the day, you should want to keep the business within TD's brands otherwise I'll start getting quotes elsewhere; I was told "There is absolutely nothing we can do for you, if you want to cancel do so by X date", they were so blunt and absolute about it.

When I called them back to cancel a few days later; I tell the first person I speak to that I need to cancel my current policy and upcoming renewal and then magically get transferred to their loyalty and retention line who wants to see what "They can do with my rates to keep me as a customer" LOL. I told her the time to keep me as a customer was back when I expressed my displeasure and frustration with them and asked what could be done.

I don't play these games of allowing companies to keep my business only once they feel like they've truly lost it and I'm literally walking out the door.

Looks like TD MM has a bug on their online quote estimator. After running one quote, if you click on edit and choose a different motorcycle in the same category like a SS, the premium drops in half.

Tried Honda CBR 1000rr first, got almost 4k per year, then edited to pick Yamaha yzf r1, premium dropped to 2k. Tried the other way around as well, starting with R1, got 4k, then edited to pick Honda, premium dropped to 2k.

Given @rust0r's experience, probably won't be able to use this to our advantage.

Honestly, their system is 100% legit and accurate within a few hundred dollars on both TD MM and TD General; where the issue comes in is that 75% of the people at the call center can't properly understand what they are entering. Even thought I provided all of my info on the online quoting system; when pressing them to enter bike VIN and license #, they have to go through the whole 'how many years licensed'; what dates etc. This leads to errors once you speak to someone, but once they get it straightened out the rates are accurate as to their online system. Of all the online quotes I've ever done that is surprisingly the one thing TD does right; about the only thing.

So, are you going to take a course?

The best part of it all was after they told me they couldn't write the policy with TD MM I got transferred back to TD General and asked them to review my rate due to the headache caused by both them and TD MM; explaining you're both "TD" at the end of the day, you should want to keep the business within TD's brands otherwise I'll start getting quotes elsewhere; I was told "There is absolutely nothing we can do for you, if you want to cancel do so by X date", they were so blunt and absolute about it.

When I called them back to cancel a few days later; I tell the first person I speak to that I need to cancel my current policy and upcoming renewal and then magically get transferred to their loyalty and retention line who wants to see what "They can do with my rates to keep me as a customer" LOL. I told her the time to keep me as a customer was back when I expressed my displeasure and frustration with them and asked what could be done.

I don't play these games of allowing companies to keep my business only once they feel like they've truly lost it and I'm literally walking out the door.

Honestly, their system is 100% legit and accurate within a few hundred dollars on both TD MM and TD General; where the issue comes in is that 75% of the people at the call center can't properly understand what they are entering. Even thought I provided all of my info on the online quoting system; when pressing them to enter bike VIN and license #, they have to go through the whole 'how many years licensed'; what dates etc. This leads to errors once you speak to someone, but once they get it straightened out the rates are accurate as to their online system. Of all the online quotes I've ever done that is surprisingly the one thing TD does right; about the only thing.
I called them today to confirm the quote I got. They were able to see it on their system; however could not reproduce it, even after entering all the data exactly as I had. In the end, best they could offer was 4k a year. Suffices to say, Allstate is the only hope left, but given I'll be turning 30 in the fall, it may not work. I'll try aviva just for the fun of it.

Last edited:
So, are you going to take a course?

Nope, I've already taken it just not as 'recently' as TD MM requires.

I've switched to Allstate; looking back I couldn't imagine going through a claims process while dealing with a call center over having a specific agent to work with.

I imagine with their disorganization it would go like this:

ME: I've been in a motorcycle accident, I need to file a claim.
TD Agent: Definitely sir, if you give me your name and some information on the bike I can start generating a quote for you.
ME: No, I already have a policy with you for my bike, I was in an accident and need to make a claim.
TD Agent: *repeats first line over and over until I hang up

*Passes me back and forth between TD MM and TD General for the next year.

lol

I called them today to confirm the quote I got. They were able to see it on their system; however could not reproduce it, even after entering all the data exactly as I had. In the end, best they could offer was 4k a year. Suffices to say, Allstate is the only hope left, but given I'll be turning 30 in the fall, it may not work. I'll try aviva just for the fun of it.

Ouch, my suggestion if you feel your quote was sound, call back and speak to someone else. I've had good luck once pushing someone new that they ask me to leave it with them and they will call me back later that day; usually the mistake is discovered in an hour or so (always their mistake).

just spent 20 mins on hold waiting to get a quote before losing my patience & hanging up. TD is a joke

just spent 20 mins on hold waiting to get a quote before losing my patience & hanging up. TD is a joke

You don't like their foreign call center ? LOL.

Agree through and through after spending probably 6+ hours over 2 seasons on the phone with them. Classic case of 'I'm not sure why Susan told you that; I'm sorry but that isn't the case" over and over and over. with them Go with a broker/individual agent if you can.

Called them twice today to get a quote (TDMM)
First phone call was 20 minutes long with a foreign call center employee. After 20minutes of giving her my information, she says "You need to fill out an application that I'll mail to you and send it back to us, and we'll get back to you in 4-6 weeks with a quote"

I called back a few hours later, told them how I'd rather not having another 20 minute phone conversation to be left without an answer, and was hoping to get an actual number this time, she said no problem..Transferred me, told the lady my story..She said nothing she can do, I'll have to fill out an application.

First phone call was 20 minutes long with a foreign call center employee. After 20minutes of giving her my information, she says "You need to fill out an application that I'll mail to you and send it back to us, and we'll get back to you in 4-6 weeks with a quote"

I called back a few hours later, told them how I'd rather not having another 20 minute phone conversation to be left without an answer, and was hoping to get an actual number this time, she said no problem..Transferred me, told the lady my story..She said nothing she can do, I'll have to fill out an application.

lol

Have you tried their online quote estimator? Not saying it's accurate but at least you know the minimum it can be. It won't be cheaper than what the website quotes. In my case it was off by almost $800 a year.

Have you tried their online quote estimator? Not saying it's accurate but at least you know the minimum it can be. It won't be cheaper than what the website quotes. In my case it was off by almost $800 a year.
Online quoter said I need to fill out an application to get a quote, which is why I called after since I knew most online quotes are either inaccurate, or just tell you to call an agent.

Back
Top Bottom