Heads-up display for motorcycle helmet | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heads-up display for motorcycle helmet

Colin

I made this for myself as a hobby project. If anybody is interested in one, I can make one for you for whatever it costs to make it. Honestly, it's pretty basic, but I use it, and it does work.

Send me a message or reply to this thread if interested.

Here's a quick video I threw together of it working.

[video=youtube;9jSCMElBrx8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jSCMElBrx8[/video]

Really cool, well done!

My concern is with the setup. The display is taking up a considerable part of your left side view and being inside the helmet right behind the visor getting dislodged the first thing it might hit would be the eye.

Hey Colin,

What you made is amazing.

I was just looking at the CES 2018 innovations and came across the following

https://www.ridenuviz.com/ . ---> Thought I will share this with the riders as this looks amazing too.

I would love to see your HUD.

PM me and we can connect.

I made this for myself as a hobby project. If anybody is interested in one, I can make one for you for whatever it costs to make it. Honestly, it's pretty basic, but I use it, and it does work.

Send me a message or reply to this thread if interested.

Here's a quick video I threw together of it working.

[video=youtube;9jSCMElBrx8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jSCMElBrx8[/video]

Really cool, well done!

My concern is with the setup. The display is taking up a considerable part of your left side view and being inside the helmet right behind the visor getting dislodged the first thing it might hit would be the eye.

Yeah, definitely. When I first built the thing, it was actually on the outside of the helmet, for precisely that reason. The drag it created on the helmet was out of control, so I moved it inside the helmet. Plus, it looked kind of dumb on the outside.

The display is mounted on with the strongest tape I could find, so I feel fairly safe with it, but you're right: mounting things on the inside of the helmet is always going to open up the rider to some risks.

I would think of this as V 1.0
It is really cool, but does need some development. Keep evolving and keep sharing the developmemts.

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Very interesting work. Congrats. Not trying to be a downer. But I'd be very reluctant to have a piece of glass inside my visor, anywhere near my eyes. But maybe that's just me. Cheers.

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Nice work. For me though I like getting away from the gizmos when I ride as that isn't what motorcycling is about. I use a GPS and that's it.

Great Job. As stated I too would be concerned with it's current location. When I was hit by a goose at 30 km/h, and went down, helmet hit the pavement. I had an HJC IS-16, with as the model suggests an integrated visor.I also wear prescription glasses. The integrated visor was down while the main visor was up. After somewhat regaining my wits, (some would argue still not intact to this day..lol), it took my a couple of minutes, (I was working with one hand due to fractured clavicle), to get to my glasses as the shield had become dislodged and was jammed preventing my hand from getting inside to put my glasses back on my face.

Now admittedly, my helmet hit with pretty good forces, (despite only traveling at 30 k), so much so that the Orthopedic Surgeon stated that had I not been wearing a full face, I would have been in the hospital basement, (morgue), in a bag. But I would be concerned about this gizmo shattering and shards entering the eye, or due to dislodging causing other injuries. But as Joe suggested, this is likely V1.0 and will see some tweaking, keep up the work.

Very interesting work. Congrats. Not trying to be a downer. But I'd be very reluctant to have a piece of glass inside my visor, anywhere near my eyes. But maybe that's just me. Cheers.

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Yeah, I hear you. I'm looking into ways to replace the glass with plastic, or even get rid of it entirely. I really dislike having an extra piece in there. It'd be great if I could get rid of it.

I would think of this as V 1.0
It is really cool, but does need some development. Keep evolving and keep sharing the developmemts.

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Thanks man. Appreciate that. If you had anything specific in mind that you thought needed work, I'd love to hear it.

Nice work. For me though I like getting away from the gizmos when I ride as that isn't what motorcycling is about. I use a GPS and that's it.

For sure. I have a second helmet that doesn't have gadgets in it. No headset, no speakers, nothing. Few better feelings than getting away with nothing but the sound of the wind.

Great Job. As stated I too would be concerned with it's current location. When I was hit by a goose at 30 km/h, and went down, helmet hit the pavement. I had an HJC IS-16, with as the model suggests an integrated visor.I also wear prescription glasses. The integrated visor was down while the main visor was up. After somewhat regaining my wits, (some would argue still not intact to this day..lol), it took my a couple of minutes, (I was working with one hand due to fractured clavicle), to get to my glasses as the shield had become dislodged and was jammed preventing my hand from getting inside to put my glasses back on my face.

Now admittedly, my helmet hit with pretty good forces, (despite only traveling at 30 k), so much so that the Orthopedic Surgeon stated that had I not been wearing a full face, I would have been in the hospital basement, (morgue), in a bag. But I would be concerned about this gizmo shattering and shards entering the eye, or due to dislodging causing other injuries. But as Joe suggested, this is likely V1.0 and will see some tweaking, keep up the work.

Oh damn. You got lucky. I'm kind of curious, though, how you managed to fit your glasses underneath the sun visor. Seems pretty cramped, even without a goose crushing the visor into your face.

I use the thing myself, and I don't really worry about it dislodging (it's really stuck in there). My concern is shattering. (Actually, seems like a lot of people are concerned about that.)

Could the visor itself not be coated with the "special coating" thus eliminating the round piece of glass you currently have ?

I had to send the glass off to a factory in California to get the coating applied. But I think you're right in that there are alternatives. Apparently HUDs for cars (like these) sometimes use a film that you apply to the windshield to increase reflectivity (and hence brightness). That might work. And it would get rid of that piece of glass.

Looks like a good first step in the development cycle. Needs to not block any of the opening and not have additional pieces of stuff inside the visor. Just stuck on with tape might work when shaken...but an impact will put a lot more force against it than a shake.

Looks like a good first step in the development cycle. Needs to not block any of the opening and not have additional pieces of stuff inside the visor. Just stuck on with tape might work when shaken...but an impact will put a lot more force against it than a shake.

Good point about the impact force.

Regarding being on the inside of the visor...are you saying you think that all of those pieces should be on the outside of the helmet? When I was first designing the thing, a few friends thought that was a bad idea because of how much wind resistance that would create.

Wind resistance would depend on it's shape on the outside. Housed on a rounded shell should resolve that. As already stated, I wouldn't want a piece of glass(or anything else) loose inside the visor. Coating the inside of the visor eliminates that. As for the projector, if it was out of the way, say on the chin bar and projecting to the top of the view port area on the visor.....

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear you. I'm looking into ways to replace the glass with plastic, or even get rid of it entirely. I really dislike having an extra piece in there. It'd be great if I could get rid of it.

Thanks man. Appreciate that. If you had anything specific in mind that you thought needed work, I'd love to hear it.

For sure. I have a second helmet that doesn't have gadgets in it. No headset, no speakers, nothing. Few better feelings than getting away with nothing but the sound of the wind.

Oh damn. You got lucky. I'm kind of curious, though, how you managed to fit your glasses underneath the sun visor. Seems pretty cramped, even without a goose crushing the visor into your face.

I use the thing myself, and I don't really worry about it dislodging (it's really stuck in there). My concern is shattering. (Actually, seems like a lot of people are concerned about that.)

I had to send the glass off to a factory in California to get the coating applied. But I think you're right in that there are alternatives. Apparently HUDs for cars (like these) sometimes use a film that you apply to the windshield to increase reflectivity (and hence brightness). That might work. And it would get rid of that piece of glass.

The goose didn't crush the visor, it came dislodged when the helmet impacted the pavement. after the goose hit the bike, it went down and slid, then it high sided me, about 10' in the air and approx 20' forward. Not sure about the lucky part, I am approx 23 months post collision and still unable to ride due to the injuries sustained. I am hoping to return to work somewhat full time in the next month or so...

Fitting my glasses under the visor was never an issue, the visor was about 3" in front of my face and I have a relatively small pair of glasses.

Back
Top Bottom