Breaking Ties With My Family To Obtain A Motorcycle. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Breaking Ties With My Family To Obtain A Motorcycle.

Simple answer: If your parents don't want you to get a bike then you should respect that while you live under their roof. If you don't want to listen to them then you should move out, forget about a bike for now, and prove to them and yourself that you can be an adult and support yourself. Once you know you are capable of that you can move on to less important decisions like riding a motorcycle. You don't need to tackle everything at once.

Don't break off ties with family because of a bike...

More likely than not, the general public believe that the vast majority of motorcyclists will do stupid **** like popping wheelies down the Gardiner and smashing mirrors thus giving them the impression that most motorcyclists are criminals (or that they will become one).

If you're already in the process of moving out to your own condo, just wait until that's finalized and get the bike after.

Also may want to take into account that you will continue to pay for your motorcycle insurance throughout winter while likely taking the TTC, so you're actually paying more overall (assuming that you'd be paying around $200/mo given your age and experience).

The only real benefit to having a vehicle is saving time to get to those places. (which is part of the reason why I got a bike as it was a 1h 30m ride via transit vs 25 min bike ride to school)

Simple answer: If your parents don't want you to get a bike then you should respect that while you live under their roof. If you don't want to listen to them then you should move out, forget about a bike for now, and prove to them and yourself that you can be an adult and support yourself. Once you know you are capable of that you can move on to less important decisions like riding a motorcycle. You don't need to tackle everything at once.

+1 good advice ,.I actually thought OP was out of the house already ( condo mention ).

If you are embedded in downtown Toronto for school and business then moving out in your situation is dodgy from a financial standpoint regardless of the bike situation,
Having a bike at school is a great thing, having a free place to live is a greater thing.

A few comments:

Do your own thing but don't break ties with family. Continue to stay in touch and be open. If they break away from you they are the bad guys.

I always listened to my mother. I didn't do what she said but I listened.

Why do people insist on wanting a bunch of strangers on the internet to know their personal dysfunctional family situations?

All of GTAM's a stage,
And all the men and women merely riders
They have their exits and their entrances
And Inreb in his time plays many parts

OP,as most have already stated, do as you want, (you have already bought the gear, so your GOING to get the bike), but I doubt your as prepared as you think you are, either maturity nor financially). The maturity part comes from your saying your getting the bike to commute to school, but as most have also stated, your not going to be doing that in Jan at -25 or -30 as we just had. So your not looking at it realistically but from youthful exuberance and desire. A bike will also eat up a LOT financially. What happens when you graduate, (presumably your attending university with a specific career in mind as opposed to your current business), and you can't find work in your field, or something beyond your control happens and your business suddenly crashes, (NO one EVER thinks their business will fail)? Will you have enough savings to pay for that condo, the bike and living expenses for say 6 months without ANY income?? Or god forbid you crash and you have to rely on insurance, for IRB, (which not even sure if you would qualify, given your full time student and self employed), which unless you bought a top up maxes out at $400 per week!!!

The one question I have is your doing school full time, plus running your business, WHEN do you think your going to have time to ride? Simply commuting ISN'T riding, and you will want to ride MUCH more, if you love it as much as you profess.

As for family, yes it sounds like there are serious issues. BUT if you crash and are in the hospital, or worse are seriously disabled, WHO is going to help you out? Likely your family, oh wait, you dismissed them and cut all ties. NO ONE, (especially young people), think they are going to crash or even be hurt. So now your relying on a stranger to wipe your ***. They aren't going to bring home made meals, nor "extras" like stuff to read, etc while in a hospital bed with nothing to do all day. Who is going to pay for a tv, (your not making ANY money from your business in hospital)... All things to consider my friend.

Last edited:
This is an odd post, hard to believe someone would be asking a bunch of strangers for advice on a significant issue such as this. This in itself speaks to the level of maturity of the OP, who apparently has the resources at age 20 or so to finance a move to a condo, buy a bike, go to school etc..... I wonder where all of this money comes from? Family?

Many parents and extended family have expectations of their children that are often unreasonable or stifling. I don't have the perfect answer for you, but the extreme options here as you have presented it: cutting off your family to ride a motorcycle seems to be a grossly simplistic solution to a complex family problem.

I had a similar thing with my parents when I was 18 I wanted a bike, went to school worked and lived on my own. Went and made a downpayment parents were upset but rode when they were younger so they came with me to get the bike and bought a bunch of gear for me to make me safe as possible. Hopefully yours come around like mine did, they were pretty upset at first and look at me now still riding bikes. Just do it. Your family's probably calling you names to prevent you from doing it because they care about you, get a bike I'm sure they will still care

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

As I've gotten older, friends and family have begun to pass away. It's made me realize that I value those connections more than "stuff". At the very least, make sure you have $20 grand in your bank account, just in case your parents have to bury you.

Damn, that is a good answer for a question I have many times asked myself in the past.

Maybe...but sometimes ppl don't have others to talk to. For myself, I have friends, but I would never ask them for advice for very personal matters (and, so, I will post on an anonymous forum).

Read my signature.

Restored
This in itself speaks to the level of maturity of the OP, who apparently has the resources at age 20 or so to finance a move to a condo, buy a bike, go to school etc..... I wonder where all of this money comes from? Family?

you really should read the thread to not look foolish

He runs his own business.

This is an odd post, hard to believe someone would be asking a bunch of strangers for advice on a significant issue such as this.

One of the very best support groups I had for fighting cancer was

asking a bunch of strangers for advice on a significant issue such as this.
They were where I was ....no one outside that group could understand,

He finds people who have been there, or like me with kids in his age bracket and finds both encouragement and cautions.

Last edited:
As I've gotten older, friends and family have begun to pass away. It's made me realize that I value those connections more than "stuff". At the very least, make sure you have $20 grand in your bank account, just in case your parents have to bury you.

I think that's what life insurance is for..

However "Don't worry mom and dad, I got life insurance just in case you have to bury me" wouldn't be a strong argument on getting a bike.

I think that's what life insurance is for..

However "Don't worry mom and dad, I got life insurance just in case you have to bury me" wouldn't be a strong argument on getting a bike.

I didn't ask my parents, I just brought a motorcycle home one day lol

My parents spent 4 years trying to convince me to get off the bike. They stopped when I came home in a sling, and told them I was sad that I can't ride until I heal.

As a parent my favorite expression, when dealing with opposite views of a particular decision, is 'Prove me wrong. But...be very prepared to hear me say I told you so if something goes wrong, or, you were right, I'm sorry. Either way I will be here for you'. That would never happen if 'ties are broken'.

Think very carefully.

3 pages of discussion and the OP is nowhere to be seen.

Let's face it. It's not about buying or wanting a bike, that is the camel that broke the camel's back. It sounds more like you live in a dysfunctional family with aggressive name calling and such. And is also a reason you moved out. It sounds like you are the sane one.

But on the issue of riding, I won't blow smoke up your *ss. Statistics will tell you fatalities are higher for riders than drivers since you have no protection, other than your skills and quick reactions. I choose to ride since one day I will be dead anyway. If I lived in fear I might as well stay in bed and pull the covers over my head. Very smart to take the riding safety course, you will learn stuff to save your life by riding much safer than experience can ever teach you.

I wish you well and God's speed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom