Breaking Ties With My Family To Obtain A Motorcycle. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Breaking Ties With My Family To Obtain A Motorcycle.

If you are going to break ties with your family (possibly forever) to ride a motorcycle then you're an idiot. These are the people that will be there for you through thick and thin, learn to respect them instead of pushing them out of your life.

If they didn't care about his well being then he wouldn't be having this dilemma, would he?

You missed the boat on this one friend.

get the bike...dont flaunt it to them. Don't stick it in their faces. They will come around trust me.

So, just a few comments. Some of your justifications are not valid.

-Motorcycles are not automatically cheaper on gas. Both of our bikes use more gas on a per 100KM basis than either of our vehicles.

-The increased cost of insurance (I hope you realize at your age and experience level that's going to be VERY costly) will eat up any possible savings on gas vs inside a month.

- A motorcycle is not a 12 month a year transportation solution in Ontario, but insurance is a 12 month commitment. Next November through April/May what's your transportation solution, remembering that you'll still be paying insurance on the bike?

Now, that having been said, if you are as financially independent as you say you are, then none of those should be show stoppers.

But, are you as financially independent as you think you are? It sounds like you have never lived on your own, and from all of us who remember moving out on their own, well...it'll cost more than you think. Have you drawn up a budget that's realistic? How much disposable income do you have left every month after all the bills? Mortgage/rent, condo fees, groceries, payments on your furniture/appliances, electricity if not included, internet, cellphone, etc?

I know none of the above is really any of our business, but IMHO I would suggest living on your own for at least a few months before jumping into ownership with ANY vehicle, much less a motorcycle.

As for your family issues, you're an adult. Make your own decisions. Your family may not like it, but a time comes when decisions are no longer theirs to make once you've moved out from under their roof....that last bit being the key. Their hissy fits seem incredibly childish to me, but that's another story.

I usually consider a 19 year old male an adult in training but if you are as responsible on a bike as you are with other things you should be OK.

Skip the bike economics because they don't stand up to scrutiny. You want to ride.

Read some of the condo parking posts before you commit to the bike and or condo. Parking can be an issue.

There are different translations on the "Honour you parents" bit. I prefer to think "Bring honour onto your parents". In my books, responsibly riding a bike doesn't bring dishonour to anyone. Succumbing to irrational attitudes makes it look like your parents raised a wimp, shame on them.

That said would it hurt to defer the bike until after you complete uni?

Have they picked out a wife for you yet?

Last edited:
A lot of great advice on here!
In the days end the decision is yours and yours to make.

Motorcycling isn't all that cheap as it's made out to be and is definitely not a 'viable' form of transportation here in Toronto.
Anyone that justifies a purchase of a bike as a smart financial transportation move, especially in Toronto with the shockingly ridiculous insurance and cruddy weather is in for a rude awakening.
Motorcycling in Ontario is nothing more than a hobby, a shockingly expensive hobby..

Before you move out, I would do a detailed outline of the next 5 years in terms of expenses/earnings to see how you fair over the years.

Also this is a great read on the cost of owning a motorcycle: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?148438-The-REAL-cost-of-owning-a-motorcycle%85

Are you comfortable with sharing your yearly earnings post-tax?

I'd say go for it when you live on your own, until then their house their rules.

Make sure you have parking and keep in mind how often bikes are stolen out of them.

bikes are stolen a lot from condos, id suggest getting a beat up ol dual sport or cruiser. They get stolen much less

This. Family first. Always. You're an idiot if you think otherwise.

Disagree with this completely.
I've got a severely dysfunctional family, and have stopped attending all functions (they literally get violent) and have pretty much severed all but occasional communication with all of them but my 3rd cousin in Germany and my mother (which is strained).

Everyone has a different family dynamic - until you've lived someone else's family crap, you can't imagine.

If the OP is as financially independent as he says he is, I would say move out. See how finances go.
Sounds to me like they're being passive aggressive - threatening to do things, constant belittling of his wishes - if his mother is indeed threatening self-harm if he gets a bike, that's seriously messed up, and she needs help.

So, move out, see how it goes with family and finances. If all is good after 5-6 months, or in this case, maybe next year, buy the bike.

Personally, I always wanted a motorcycle since I was a pre-teen. Parents disagreed for fear of me getting hurt. I toed the line until my father passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. He left a ton of hope and dreams undone, and I vowed I wouldn't be in the same boat. He passed in October. I bought a bike in May. Have been loving it ever since.

Last edited:
Who needs family when one wants a bike? No-brainer to me, surely ... especially, in such an attractive place to ride as Ontario is.

I was in your exact position 2 years ago, had lots of money saved up, steady job/career and was ready to ride. Long story short, Mom threatened to kick me out, tried to convince me I'd die on it, and called all kinds of names for considering riding. My dad supported her. Ended up saying f it, did my MSF and bought a brand new r3. Payed $2k a year full coverage with Paul south. After a week my mom cooled down, and I wasn't kicked out. Let my dad ride it a few times and he ended up loving it and getting his license.

Do you honestly think your mom is going to kill herself if you buy a motorcycle? I highly doubt it. People say stupid things when they are blinded by ignorance or in a rage. Buy the bike and ride, you won't regret it. 2 years later I'm on my 3rd bike and loving it.

Or you can listen to the retirees on this site and listen to your parents, because they themselves have listened to every single thing their parents told them. /s

If you got questions pm me

If your parents are going to cut ties with you for simply riding a motorcycle, thkse are people who you don't want in your everyday life. Loving and understanding parents would be proud and excited for you for being financially independent and doing things in life that you enjoy

Sheesh, why make it so complicated, OP? Just move out as you planned to do anyway and don't mention the bike. Get a car first though--a decent beater will do fine. We all love riding but recognize the limitations of motorcycles in daily life. Then get your bike. Don't ride it home or splash it over your social media. Then nobody has to talk about it and you stay on good terms. Parents can react in strange ways when confronted with the possibility that their child might be hurt. So can young people if they feel strongly about something. If your mother has actual mental problems, I'd skip using her as a nemesis in forum posts and find her help instead--it won't get better. Just promise us you will think it through. Enjoy the bike, rubber side down, etcetera.

Live under their roof, live under their rules.

Move out you make your own rules.

Personally I think you should wait until 25 for a bike (for many reasons), maybe move out now or in a couple years save more money keep your eye on the prize. At this point in your life a motorcycle should not be so much of a priority...

Why do people insist on wanting a bunch of strangers on the internet to know their personal dysfunctional family situations?

You expect a bunch of biased motorcycle enthusiasts to tell you what to do? You can guess the answer we're going to give you.

I have a 21 year old son who attends university and makes good money over the summer, and I can assure you that 19/20 years old is far from being an adult these days. Especially according to the insurance companies. But at the same time, he's an adult and he'll do what he wants.
I just hope I've taught him a value system that will let him make the right decisions in life.

Last edited:
I bought my first bike in similar circumstances, parents would have let it happen over my dead body. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I was riding for years before I told them, and its all good now

Be real about the usefulness of a motorcycle as a means of commuting. In the cold, snow or rain its not good. You can't haul stuff. You'll still be taking the TTC sometimes. Be honest about why you want to get one. I figure your #1 reason is to ride. No shame in that, its why we're all here

If you ever need help or advise about buying your bike or riding, I'm downtown. Shoot me a message

Back
Top Bottom