Hybrid Vehicles | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hybrid Vehicles

I had two TDI golf wagons and enjoyed them both. The missus didn’t like the low seating position but, she got over it and enjoyed how the car drove.

The down side is, I haven’t followed what the end result with VW and dieselgate. And don’t really want to get this thread highjacked by the VW thing.

I’d only buy a VW new (and they don’t offer TDI anymore) and used, I’d be leary of the DPF and other bits and even whatever updates have been done to ruin the performance or mileage or both the bring the vehicles back into compliance. Just a nightmare.

I saw something about GM Equinox or Terrain diesel.

That might be the ticket but have no idea on the price point or availability.

With high view, roof rack, I can load it up when needed.

Have to look at fuelly about real world mpgs.

I like the feel of diesel motors. Even if the vehicle itself is slow. Lol.

I like the idea of a PHEV for the minor trips to Costco and HD etc.

I have to really examine how a change in the job will affect my driving habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of a PHEV for the minor trips to Costco and HD etc.

Slippery slope back into the content of the EV thread on that topic though. ;)

But yes, there are some major advantages to a PHEV in that specific regard which I'm assuming you're familliar with having followed the EV thread.

I don't know a whole lot about the Pacifica but it checks off many of the boxes for you with regards to size, PHEV, etc. It's reliability is a big unknown IMHO at this point but if you're buying new you have the comfort of a warranty anyways. Looks like around 7.5L/100KM when running on gas alone which isn't stellar, but isn't terrible either for something minivan size honestly.

The diesel Equinox is interesting though - let me know if you find anything out about it so far as price/availability. And don't believe all the old stereotypes about diesels, they don't hold true anymore - most are as nearly as quiet as gassers now, and what some small ones lack in horsepower they make up for in the typical diesel torque..which is probably why you enjoyed your driving experience in one before. Torque can be fun. ;)

Last edited:
No ones mentioned the Hyundai Ioniq that i can see? It appears to beat the Prius and the reviews are pretty good.

Last edited:
No ones mentioned the Huyndai Ioniq that i can see? It appears to beat the Prius and the reviews are pretty good.

Yep, should be in the running for sure IF the size fits Nakkers needs.

Have you considered getting a small CUV/SUV that will fit the dogs and just renting a small trailer for the larger excursions? This would save you gas for the daily runs and still allow for larger payload on an as needed basis? Not sure what hybrids are out there in that market but may be a viable option.

.....might be a little bit under the influence. Please ignore.

Last edited:
Interesting. I figured Mitsu was dead in NA but they are hanging on.

A few interesting design choices (air-cooled battery, 12 kWh, 35km on battery, 1500lb towing, low range on front wheels only?). On the upside it is ~10K cheaper than the pacifica.

It's a decent car, if you are looking for a commuter which needs to occasionally tow on the weekend. And you have access to a quick DCFC squirt when needed. It would be exactly what I am looking for, but the math will surely not work in my case, unless they will be throwing cheap leasing deals left and right ... which they will not, since they have more people interested in the car than they can deliver ....

I only mentioned it, since I thought OP needed cargo capacity, but I guess I misunderstood, he's clearly not looking for CUV/SUV format.

I'm pretty sure you can order Prius Prime today in Ontario...in fact I am sure of it. take delivery in March...and yep pricing from $33k-38k MSRP

It's a decent car, if you are looking for a commuter which needs to occasionally tow on the weekend. And you have access to a quick DCFC squirt when needed. It would be exactly what I am looking for, but the math will surely not work in my case, unless they will be throwing cheap leasing deals left and right ... which they will not, since they have more people interested in the car than they can deliver ....

I only mentioned it, since I thought OP needed cargo capacity, but I guess I misunderstood, he's clearly not looking for CUV/SUV format.

MXS,

Cargo and utility are a factor for sure. A van or SUV/CUV are being considered.

I'm pretty sure you can order Prius Prime today in Ontario...in fact I am sure of it. take delivery in March...and yep pricing from $33k-38k MSRP

Why can't auto manufacturers build a webpage with useful information? They spend so much on design, they have nothing left to provide relevant content. It looks like maybe the toyota.ca doesn't cover ontario. Garbage. Congrats on the new car.

The only thing that shows up on the toyota.ca prius prime page (https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/prius-prime) without scrolling is

Prius Prime
With the highest total driving range1 and the shortest charging time2, Prius Prime is the most advanced Toyota hybrid ever built.
Available in Quebec from your Quebec Toyota Dealer.

I can't see how DCFC makes much sense when we are only talking about 35km range and charging slows dramatically as you approach full. I am going to charge for 5 minutes so I can drive for 20 minutes? Methinks not. It's a gimmick.

I can't see how DCFC makes much sense when we are only talking about 35km range and charging slows dramatically as you approach full. I am going to charge for 5 minutes so I can drive for 20 minutes? Methinks not. It's a gimmick.

paying a premium for a vehicle to gain 35km of electric range is simply ridiculous .. on top of that, plug in hybrids start to lose range at 3 degrees celcius. at -5 C, range "drops off a cliff".

great read by a company that studied EV range in the cold. and reported back on numerous vehicles. http://driving.ca/tesla/auto-news/news/314908

I still think plug in cars are a gimmick, and Hybrid is a better option overall for now, until Hydrogen arrives, where they function well in the cold with NO range loss.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Equinox diesel.

splurge a little and get the Acura MDX Hybrid. it gets the same 27-28mpg (8.4L /100km) City rating as the diesel equinox

you get way more performance than a slow diesel, and no stinky diesel to deal with and pollution worries. If the Equinox requireS DEF fills, even worse!

Edit: Equinox DOES require DEF. another waste of money and something to worry about. If you run out of DEF, you are STRANDED!

Last edited:
splurge a little and get the Acura MDX Hybrid. it gets the same 27-28mpg (8.4L /100km) City rating as the diesel equinox

you get way more performance than a slow diesel, and no stinky diesel to deal with and pollution worries. If the Equinox requireS DEF fills, even worse!

Edit: Equinox DOES require DEF. another waste of money and something to worry about. If you run out of DEF, you are STRANDED!

Splurge a little? In Ontario Equinox diesel starts at $31,435, MDX hybrid starts at $72,207. The MDX is a great vehicle and I have only heard good things about them, but we are not talking about a small increment of money here.

It might not work for you, it makes perfect sense for me and my scenario. What's so wrong to plug it in for short time to get a cheap or free commute home anyway? Doesn't sound gimmicky to me.

Splurge a little? In Ontario Equinox diesel starts at $31,435, MDX hybrid starts at $72,207. The MDX is a great vehicle and I have only heard good things about them, but we are not talking about a small increment of money here.

the beauty is, 3 years from now, the equinox resale will drop like a rock. The MDX will retain its value and you can sell it and still make a hefty return when you are done with it.

Pay more now, but a lot less later.

MXS,

Cargo and utility are a factor for sure. A van or SUV/CUV are being considered.

So have a look then. BTW, Mitsu Canada is doing demo days ... should be on the website. You can sign up, book it ahead. Costs nothing, you can only gain more info there.

Back
Top Bottom