Hybrid Vehicles | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hybrid Vehicles

nakkers

Site Supporter
We have an extensive thread on EVs and didn’t want to side track for the topic.

Might be looking at new vehicle purchase and a Hybrid caught my eye.

More systems, more problems or the benefit worth the extra complexity?

Looked the the Kia Niro and they don’t have their plug in Hybrid available. Checking out fuelly to compare results of similar size and equip vehicles and price point.

Any riders here have a Hybrid vehicle and care to share tue experience?

Some are “mild” hybrids. Others are not.

Don’t really want to debate what is a better comparison between EV and hybrids.

If I was going EV, I’d look at a Bolt.

Like a hatch for the pups and junk that comes with us for road trips. Bicycles and beach towels and maybe camping gear etc.

Just checking things out so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I would either stick with an ICE or a plug-in hybrid. The extra cost and complexity of a mild hybrid vs the cost savings have never made sense to me. The one hybrid I did seriously consider was the accord hybrid where they used the electrics to make it more fun than ICE only. They killed off that version years ago.

I drive a Toyota Camry Hybrid. One of the best cars I have owned. No issues. Bought new 2014 and have 80,000 on it. Just regular maintenance.

When I first got the car it pretty much got the mileage quoted which was 5.7 L/100. Most cars don't come all that close to what is rated, so I was surprised by this. Anyhow that was when I first got the car and was babying it and driving like a hybrid driver, always trying to get it into EV mode, coasting etc. After this period I starting driving a little more normal keeping up with traffic, harder accel, the mileage jumped up a bit but not much to 6.2 L/100 - 6.3 L/100 more in the winter.

I think it is the right mix. Though I wish at times the battery could last a little longer and could take some electric acceleration instead of using gas engine. I like that is switches off at red lights, and you can coast around in EV mode at slow speeds, and hopefully all this counts to something for the environment.

We have an extensive thread on EVs and didn’t want to side track for the topic.

Might be looking at new vehicle purchase and a Hybrid caught my eye.

More systems, more problems or the benefit worth the extra complexity?

Looked the the Kia Niro and they don’t have their plug in Hybrid available. Checking out fuelly to compare results of similar size and equip vehicles and price point.

Any riders here have a Hybrid vehicle and care to share tue experience?

Some are “mild” hybrids. Others are not.

Don’t really want to debate what is a better comparison between EV and hybrids.

If I was going EV, I’d look at a Bolt.

Like a hatch for the pups and junk that comes with us for road trips. Bicycles and beach towels and maybe camping gear etc.

Just checking things out so to speak.

whats your budget?

Will your stuff fit in a Volt (hatch, but a bit on the compact side)? If you're wanting to put bicycles and dogs in it, that might be too small.

Opposite end of the spectrum, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV. Minivan, but a pretty good looking one. Your bicycles and dogs will fit, though!

We looked at a Highlander, but ended up with a gas guzzling Odyssey. The three kids wouldn't fit.

Love our Toyota Prius V (the wagon version). Bulletproof and amazing fuel consumption. Would buy again.

Well the deal is I might be changing employers. If I do, the company car is gone.

I've got $10k to put down and want to keep the payments manageable. I drive from St Kitts to London often and looks like my annual personal mileage is in approximately 40k. I could count half that as business with my current employer but, the new job won't have the same needs.

Looks like two days a week in Toronto near Bloor and Islington.

At least to start. Could be other business use outside of that.

We already have a personal vehicle. A Kia Soul and it's fairly new and likely to stay part of the family for years to come.

The "work" vehicle was playing double duty as the family adventure machine as well as business use since everything is covered by the employer.

We are going to look at the Bolt. Even if we take the family to Ottawa, we could rent something more appropriate or take two vehicles. Not ideal.

I'd like to get something bigger to handle even more mule duties since the business uses looks to be even less with the new job.

Haven't taken the new job yet. Still evaluating the pros and cons of making the change. One of the cons is having to purchase a second vehicle.

So we are kicking around our needs. Our wants. And finances. And use.

The wife likes the idea of EV. The Bolt would be idea for her. Commuting from St Kitts to Burlington/Hamilton 5 days a week.

But, a Bolt and a Soul are both on the compact side for a couple of kids, dogs and gear for trips to visit grandparent near Ottawa. We actually make the trip fairly often.

Which I could count as business use when I visit clients along the way and at our destination.

So a lot of things at play.

I was thinking of mid size wagon or even a van but, the price point starts to climb and used carries its own risk.

Don't think leasing will work with the mileage we do.

Thanks for the info everyone. Very helpful and much appreciated.

Bolt is smaller than the Volt right?

I sat in the back of a Volt last week with the front seat all the way back and while I couldn't do the can-can it was OK. I'm six feet tall. I would go for one but the gas savings don't work for me due to low mileage. Impressed by the storage with the back seat folded down

Last edited:
sounds like you are on a budget, but want a bigger vehicle. Bolts and Volts are cute and everything, but a family needs something bigger.

Best bang for the buck is the Honda Accord Hybrid. although they redesigned it for 2018 and its not available yet, Im willing to wager dealers will have huge discounts on the 2017 models which are still rated excellent and gets 50 mpg, are fairly large sedans, and have large trunks.

Toyota Camry hybrid is another good option if you can get past the yawn factor.

Thanks Sunny. Going to give them a look too.

I had an Accord back in 2008 and it was a pretty good car. Its going to be a challenge to establish our priorities.

I like sedans. The wife doesn't like the low seating position and while the trunk is spacious, she likes a hatch.

I didn't like the Soul for its limited cargo space. She loves the car. But, it does leave us with the need for decent cargo space now.

We both like hatches.

Might just go with a conventional vehicle. But, curious about what other folks have been doing.

The Ford C-Max plug in could be of interest. But, it's a Ford. Lol.

I'm not crazy about the way a Prius drives but, they have some models with decent versatility and well established product.

Last edited:
I drive from St Kitts to London often and looks like my annual personal mileage is in approximately 40k. I could count half that as business with my current employer but, the new job won't have the same needs. .

A Bolt honestly isn't going to work for that sort of distance unless you can be 100% guaranteed that you'll have access to either fast charging at point B, or at least a Level 2 charger if you're staying overnight, but I'm a little confused when you said your wife would be driving it, not you? For her driving you listed, of course that'd work just fine.

For raw distance fuel economy, a Prius is simply hard to beat if you can get past the fact you're driving a mostly uninspiring / not fun vehicle..but it will save you gas..

The other requirements (gear, dog, etc) does complicate things a little though - unfortunately there's few magic bullets when it comes to bigger size and good economy...at this point anyways.

A Bolt honestly isn't going to work for that sort of distance unless you can be 100% guaranteed that you'll have access to either fast charging at point B, or at least a Level 2 charger if you're staying overnight, but I'm a little confused when you said your wife would be driving it, not you? For her driving you listed, of course that'd work just fine.

For raw distance fuel economy, a Prius is simply hard to beat if you can get past the fact you're driving a mostly uninspiring / not fun vehicle..but it will save you gas..

The other requirements (gear, dog, etc) does complicate things a little though - unfortunately there's few magic bullets when it comes to bigger size and good economy...at this point anyways.

Thanks PP.

When I work from home, my wife typically drives the company vehicle since it’s gas is paid for. So she gets seat time in both vehicles. And her work involves commuting to Hamilton/Burlington M-F.

So we kinda sneak in some of her commuting mileage with what we presently have.

That would obviously change.

So I try to consider she may drive what ever we get next.

I’d like a big machine that can tow and haul everything out hearts desire. The reality is, our frequent use doesn’t warrant that type of vehicle. And hard to accept the cost of such a vehicle.

Compromises will be made. That is for sure.

She loved her Matrix so, Toyota is a good brand in her mind.

I’ve driven a Prius and I don’t know if I could put up with it’s driving dynamics. But the fuel savings sure make me reconsider my position.

The look of the latest Prius is downright hideous. But, the interior doesn’t look that bad. Lol.

You should see the interior of the Mazda5. It’s beat up with the dogs and kids etc.

I’ve also been thinking if I take this new job, I can commute to the office on one of my bikes. Might have to be creative with my mileage log. Don’t want to get an audit.

I know there are easier ways to make life simple.

And that might just be what I have to do. Look at things differently.

Have you considered any of the diesel options? When it comes to highway MPG they are going to run squarely in the hybrid fuel economy range.

There's also the Equinox diesel - 6.0L/100KM highway is going to be impossible to beat for the size you seem to be looking for. And hey, diesel is cheaper than gas right now as well.

A 1-2 year old TDI or something like that will also yield a far more inspiring drive while yielding stellar highway MPG..and perhaps a more workable body style for you as well.

diesels are stinky, and slow.

was going to recommend the Rav4 hybrid, but it gets the same mileage as a "regular" CR-V, approx 7.0 L/100km. CR-V is roomier, faster, handles better and way more fun to drive.

Toyota Camry hybrid is another good option if you can get past the yawn factor.

Yes but they make great cars, and at least you can test drive them without questionable techniques.

Back in 2014 when I was looking for a car I consider the Honda Accord Hybrid but none of the dealers had one. You had to reserve it by putting down $3000 (I think) and wait a few weeks. That didn't impress me. I was also a Honda Accord driver at the time.
Hopefully they have moved a way from this practice.

I miss the extra cabin space from the Accord. The Camry is a slightly smaller car. I think they may have made it a bit smaller in the 2018 version as well, which is a shame.

I personally would not buy a car without a plug, unless I am buying high miler which will not see a city commute. This one is done the right way (decent mileage with DCFC plug), if that's a format of vehicle you can live with. They have sold many of those worldwide, essentially, they cannot make them fast enough.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/vehicle/showroom/outlander-phev/2018/

Aww man, I'd be leery of Mitz. they almost folded in the US and are on life support. Nissan swooped in and bought a stake of them so they have a life line.

remember suzuki? and daweoo? run run run....

Too much uncertainty with them in Canada since we are a smaller market, could fold at any time. Sparse dealer network, not many servicing dealers. Id run!

I personally would not buy a car without a plug, unless I am buying high miler which will not see a city commute. This one is done the right way (decent mileage with DCFC plug), if that's a format of vehicle you can live with. They have sold many of those worldwide, essentially, they cannot make them fast enough.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/vehicle/showroom/outlander-phev/2018/

Interesting. I figured Mitsu was dead in NA but they are hanging on.

A few interesting design choices (air-cooled battery, 12 kWh, 35km on battery, 1500lb towing, low range on front wheels only?). On the upside it is ~10K cheaper than the pacifica.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom