Let there be LED light.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Let there be LED light....

GateKeeper

So today I tackled the install of LED bulbs in my bike, it's the end of January been cold for months now, but today it became warm enough to venture into the garage, peel back the cover and at least try to install some LED lights. Didn't take long, got all 3 in and they fit like a dream, no cutting of anything, plug and play, even the dust covers went back on with no issues.

Over all very satisfied with the look, but the real test will be how do they perform in the night, unfortunately this will have to wait for a warmer day and when riding season is back upon us....

For now just a few pics...

xzk1Uzb.jpg

rFwzpZO.jpg

sdFWXVG.jpg

lwzw3ji.jpg

x6tnEuP.jpg

iIQlZaF.jpg

Are they brighter than the halogens?

they look good

They appear brighter, well at least whiter and not so yellow, but the real test will be once I am out on the road at night, right now I am just guessing...

Yup they look good, but do they perform better, that is the question....

I've installed a few of these -- a tip: Treat the connection to a dab of dielectric grease and electrical tape.

The tabs on most Chinese LEDs are thinner and have little protection from corrosion. The grease protects from corroding, the tape keeps the connection from vibrating loose.

I got LED headlights for my bike and while I’m generally happy with them I’ve adjusted them as low as I can go and I feel the cut off still isn’t quite low enough. It won’t be the same with all lights and all bikes but something to be aware of. Mine were reasonably pricey Cyclops lights too, not eBay clones.

Leds, especially that design, are terrible in headlights and in reflectors & halogen projectors, those ones will not only increase forground (which is not desirable, because it focuses your eyes directly in front of your bike as opposed to in the distance, which a properly focused bulb would do), and in halogen projectors, it does the same, but also removes the hot spot in the cut off even more so, which is what was helping you see into the distance.
Leds also remove width, which is pretty obvious why you need it, cough, deer/signs/pedestrians.
Lastly, you are now creating a bunch of glare for oncoming traffic, and the person in front of you. And if they were having trouble gauging your distance/speed before, it will be even harder now.

The true way to test your new output, is to park your bike (while standing over it to keep it level) 25 feet from a wall. The output cut off should not be higher than the bulb is on the bike. In fact it should be 2-3" lower.

A quick example
gvxmS5m.png

Last edited:
These LED's are universal fit. They are not designed for any particular bike or reflector pattern and may not be the best for mc purposes.

If you look at the (overpriced) Daymaker LED's from Harley, or similar knock-offs, they have an array of bulbs in the light, each designed to give off a particular pattern.

Won't be able to test anything until winter is over and done with....

The fortunate part is I do not do much night riding, hardly any at all, but if the output is wrong and causing issues the lights will be removed and originals will be put back in.

I'd suggest carrying your OE bulbs under the seat in case heat or vibration end up killing the LEDs.

These LED's are universal fit. They are not designed for any particular bike or reflector pattern and may not be the best for mc purposes.

If you look at the (overpriced) Daymaker LED's from Harley, or similar knock-offs, they have an array of bulbs in the light, each designed to give off a particular pattern.

I have yet to see any LED bulb specifically designed for any vehicle and it's particular housing, from all the bulbs I have seen, they all appear to be the same......

The Daymaker LED's you mention are not just bulbs, but a specific housing with LED bulbs integrated already, this is the best way to go, as one would hope the guys that designed it, did it around the LED bulbs and how they throw light....

They should put a button on everyone’s dash that turns out poorly installed LED lights.
It’d be fun to see people push the button and have their own lights go out.

I started up the bike today, we had somewhat warmer temperatures, so it was do or die....

And I am please to report, all works as it should, low beam, high beam, all 3 will stay on with the switch, and yes the highs will even blink by using the switch

Now how good of a light they throw this I don't know, but I love the birght white color these LED's throw off, as opposed to the yellowish glow from the stock bulbs....

Just the low beam

vmf03vy.jpg

And all 3 up and running

9n9dd2o.jpg

Even the flasing of the high beams works as it should....

YAY..........

Ohh by the way at first the low beam did not work, but a quick disconnect and a 180 of the plug, there was light, I forgot LED's are tempermental and will only work with the wiring on just one way.....

They are polar sensitive

Back
Top Bottom