Serious question about bike storage | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Serious question about bike storage

When looking for a self-storage unit just ask for a place that will fit the bike. Don't tell them what you are storing in there. I don't recall ever being asked and paid about $35/mth for a spot that would have held 4 bikes. Im guessing the $200 is because you wanted to store a bike. Yes, if anything happens there will be issues but gambling is always fun.

When looking for a self-storage unit just ask for a place that will fit the bike. Don't tell them what you are storing in there. I don't recall ever being asked and paid about $35/mth for a spot that would have held 4 bikes. Im guessing the $200 is because you wanted to store a bike. Yes, if anything happens there will be issues but gambling is always fun.

I was hunting for a storage unit last summer. None specifically allowed bikes, but all said it was ok as long as fluids were drained.

Ended up with an 8x15 for around $200/month. If anyone has better options, I would love to hear them.

They like fluids taken out of lawn mowers, blowers, motorbikes ect. for a variety of reasons, but the big one is so the firefighters dont get to guess which little storage boxes have the gas grenades in them when the building is on fire.

I pay $80/month for an extra spot in my condo building to park my bike. A lot of retired people who don't own cars like to rent their spots. There are always one or two spots advertised on the bulletin board in our lobby.

I pay $80/month for an extra spot in my condo building to park my bike. A lot of retired people who don't own cars like to rent their spots. There are always one or two spots advertised on the bulletin board in our lobby.

Catch 22:

Old people are less likely to use their parking spots but less likely to like bikes.

A friend lived in a seniors oriented building and the P-2 level was deserted.

Seriously?

Had a similar problem to OP. Told them:

You can let me park here, or I will take the elevator up every single time with the motorcycle. There is nothing you can do to stop me, just like how there is nothing you can do to stop people from throwing furniture out in the recycling room.

Been a year, seemed to work lol

油井緋色;2543632 said:
Had a similar problem to OP. Told them:

You can let me park here, or I will take the elevator up every single time with the motorcycle. There is nothing you can do to stop me, just like how there is nothing you can do to stop people from throwing furniture out in the recycling room.

Been a year, seemed to work lol
They could kick you out and call the dept you cant take flammable liquids in the elevator.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Catch 22:

Old people are less likely to use their parking spots but less likely to like bikes.

OP has a spot with a car. Keep the bike in his spot, put the car in the rented spot. Problem solved.

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

They could kick you out and call the dept you cant take flammable liquids in the elevator.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just bring the fuel pump and empty the gas tank errytime.

What now?

having been on a couple board of managers, you think you make the policy to not be punishing, just to be safe and idiot proof. Then your just left dealing with the better idiots.

Fighting the condo board is a waste of time and money. Off site storage is not really an option if fluids have to be drained every time you use your bike. Many vans won't fit inside the garage due to height restrictions. Easiest thing to do is to to find an another spot for your car outside the condo or, ideally, to rent another spot in the condo garage for your bike from someone else who has a spare one. The condo office might know who has a spot to rent or maybe the onsite super or maintenance guy knows.

The length condo boards go to when petty fights erupt would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I was talking with one owner that liked to bbq on their balcony. Board shut it down for bringing propane in elevator. He pulled propane up with a rope, board added bylaw that no combustion of fuel is allowed on the balconies. Guy buys an electric bbq. Board passes bylaw banning cooking on balconies. There is no end to the pettiness.

See thats a weak board, or possibly a board that underestimates owners desires to make life harder for others.
BBQ fires on balconies is an actual problem. Then you have people that see smoke pouring off the 37th floor and call 911, thinking they are helping.

So your enjoying a nice drink and the view , and buddy upwind is doing curried lamb on his grill, and its pouring smoke to the point your choking and his answer is 'hey, my 60sqft of outdoor life' .

And his BBQ gets out of control since his greasy chops were only left a minute, while he also watches football, the smoke damage since he's right under your unit becomes your problem. And he's under insured since hes an idiot.

And then you get a guy that wants to put his bike in the elevator, you get chain grease on your pants, the guy is super cautious , but the panels in the elevator car get beat up. Guess who pays for that ? all the other owners.

Try being a 'house proud' owner in a condo , with renters, Lord help you. The board isnt neccesarily petty, if you put the limit on dogs at 25lbs , well 40lbs is close to 25......... and so it goes.

See thats a weak board, or possibly a board that underestimates owners desires to make life harder for others.
BBQ fires on balconies is an actual problem. Then you have people that see smoke pouring off the 37th floor and call 911, thinking they are helping.

So your enjoying a nice drink and the view , and buddy upwind is doing curried lamb on his grill, and its pouring smoke to the point your choking and his answer is 'hey, my 60sqft of outdoor life' .

And his BBQ gets out of control since his greasy chops were only left a minute, while he also watches football, the smoke damage since he's right under your unit becomes your problem. And he's under insured since hes an idiot.

And then you get a guy that wants to put his bike in the elevator, you get chain grease on your pants, the guy is super cautious , but the panels in the elevator car get beat up. Guess who pays for that ? all the other owners.

Try being a 'house proud' owner in a condo , with renters, Lord help you. The board isnt neccesarily petty, if you put the limit on dogs at 25lbs , well 40lbs is close to 25......... and so it goes.

I am not saying that BBQ'ing on balconies should be allowed, but the approach they took shows that they were just trying to be obstinate. If smoke from a balcony is your primary concern, state that from the beginning and pass a by-law to stop it. By directing their attacks at specifics they were clearly just in a fight with this owner.

Can condos ban smoking on balconies? If so I could see that becoming popular. Terraces are useless and often catch on fire with the rain of cigarette buts from above (including a balcony fire last week in Vaughan with 6 figure damage).

Condos can work very well if you are the average. Being at all outside of average (including having a motorcycle) quickly makes most hell to live in as you don't conform.

Catch 22:

The old people never go into the underground parking lot.

The one's that see me in my gear are more curious than anything. Every old man has a motorcycle story!
Plus, I'm no youngster myself!

Can condos ban smoking on balconies? If so I could see that becoming popular. Terraces are useless and often catch on fire with the rain of cigarette buts from above (including a balcony fire last week in Vaughan with 6 figure damage).
They should ban smoking on balconies, but good luck with that. A friend had a couple of cushioned outdoor chairs on his balcony. 2 AM his dog starts barking like crazy. He wakes up to find out WTF is going on and sees the balcony completely engulfed in flames. The window eventually explodes, curtains catch fire, etc. etc. 100% loss. Unit had to be completely redone, including the wiring and plumbing. Out of home for nearly a year. Wiring, structural, etc. falls to the building insurance. From the paint inwards was his. Two insurance companies had to make assessments, then trying to pay the least possible, getting multiple bids, coordinating contractors. What a nightmare. They figure someone above him tossed a cigarette butt off their balcony.

They should ban smoking on balconies, but good luck with that. A friend had a couple of cushioned outdoor chairs on his balcony. 2 AM his dog starts barking like crazy. He wakes up to find out WTF is going on and sees the balcony completely engulfed in flames. The window eventually explodes, curtains catch fire, etc. etc. 100% loss. Unit had to be completely redone, including the wiring and plumbing. Out of home for nearly a year. Wiring, structural, etc. falls to the building insurance. From the paint inwards was his. Two insurance companies had to make assessments, then trying to pay the least possible, getting multiple bids, coordinating contractors. What a nightmare. They figure someone above him tossed a cigarette butt off their balcony.

That is probably the solution. After a few big losses, insurance companies quoting the condo insurance will either straight up prohibit balcony smoking or offer two prices which strongly encourage prohibiting smoking on balconies. For instance, Lloyd's of London has the best price for PL insurance but prohibits any and all work associated with condos, I pay double to get insurance through another provider that allows me to work where I want.

You can ban smoking on balconies easy enough. Many better buildings have, you declare a balcony 'common space', you have exclusive use, but the building controls it. So no rasta or confederate flags flying off the balcony, or patio furniture above the sight lines. My Moms building is smoke free, even in the unit YOU OWN.
Get enough votes on your side and you control the building, every open board meeting is an opportunity to invent new rules.

Back
Top Bottom