Serious question about bike storage | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Serious question about bike storage

If you're buying a new condo from a developer you can negotiate a second spot if they aren't all taken but they aren't cheap. I'm guessing low five figures to start and in the sixes downtown but I could be wrong.

Bought an additional spot for $25k+tax in Richmond hill, now they're selling for $30k+tax after cracking down on all the residents parked in the visitors area.

When looking for a condo, condo parking spots in North York went for around $45k.

Yeah. Condo in scarb came with one and I bought two more. Easier to rent with two spaces, and the third is just extra cash, rented for 6 month terms.

Now that they are all bought up it is near impossible to get o.e, they get snapped up right quick

A condo I used to own along the waterfront near High Park sold moto spots for $5k. Car spots for $20k. Both prices from the developer.
When I sold my unit as a 10yr old building, moto spots were $8k and car spots were $40k. That was in 2013 - prices now must be closer to $10k/$50k.

That condo initially didn't bother anyone for having multiple vehicles in one spot and so I had 3 bikes in one spot. It was always in the bylaws that it was not allowed, but no one said anything. Then one day property management changed companies and then out of the blue I get a letter and had 30 days to comply. I couldn't get any of the moto spots, so I sold 2 of the bikes.

In another condo we own beside Fort York, there are all kinds of multiple vehicles in spots. It's against the bylaws, but no enforcement for the last 10 years. It's a great building!

I was talking with someone that bought extra storage lockers in their building ~10 years ago for 25K each. Recently they have been selling them off for over 100K as they were separately titled. If someone is buying extra spots they should investigate separate titles (I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not though as it would probably make them attract capital gains?).

I recall overhearing a conversation a PM was having with an owner, basically " Sir you can't rent your parking spot to someone who doesn't live in the building. Besides, someone is living in the van."

The separate title would have interesting strings attached including capital gain taxes and access.

If someone rents to a biker and he drills into the slab for a security device, hitting an embedded service, it goes against the owner.

I've seen notices that owners will be charged to clean up oil leaks. The tribulations of a slumlord.

who cares about capital gains tax? its only a portion of the profits you made when you sell it, cost of doing business. hire your brother in law to sweep out your parking spot every month, pay him $300 to never show up, he rebates you $100. The $300 declared income for him after taxes is still a win sincve he never shows up anyway. You keep the receipts which goes for property manitenence that offsets your rental income. Laundry done.

access is the bigger issue, I own a condo, if I ever find out they are giving access cards to non owners, I'll have to hire a jacked buff asian that lifts to intimidate the board.

Of course the actual owner is responsible for cleanup of oil leaks. It keeps beaters with 4 flats out of the garage, and huge liability claims away when an old lady cartwheels with a bag of groceries getting stuff from her trunk , next spot to your oil slick.

All these regulations exist because there are so many 'hey, not a problem owners'

access is the bigger issue, I own a condo, if I ever find out they are giving access cards to non owners, I'll have to hire a jacked buff asian that lifts to intimidate the board.

Of course the actual owner is responsible for cleanup of oil leaks. It keeps beaters with 4 flats out of the garage, and huge liability claims away when an old lady cartwheels with a bag of groceries getting stuff from her trunk , next spot to your oil slick.

'

The oil dissolves protective coating that keep salt away from the rebar. Mess up the coating and some time in the distant future it becomes a multi million dollar garage restoration.

Also sludge tracked into the hallways

I've I got lucky with my board. I've got a car and 2 bikes in a regular spot in my condo. The board actually created 4 motorcycle spots within the garage as some hipsters thought they could park for free buy putting there scooters in a inconspicuous spot near the visitors lot. To there dismay they were forced to either get a motorcycle spot which none did or park outside on the sidewalk within the condo property which they all did. One by one they all got stolen.

The spots they created are actually pretty good as they are in a tucked away place and are reasonably priced. Unfortunately underground bike thefts are a reality and I my self am thinking the minivan option is a great alternative. Several motorcycles on the lower levels in my condo have been taken over the last year or 2 and the condo has wiped there hands clean of any responsibility in keeping the garage secure.

I myself have installed gps alarms on my bikes but it only insures I get them back, if they get tossed in the back of a minivan by thieves the damage to the fairings along will write off the bikes.

The board can be pretty spiteful, I watched first hand as vp of my board made our gym pretty much unusable as he strictly regulated how the gym was used. It was so bad that he himself was force to get a membership in a gym due to the regulation he imposed. It was comical and sad at the same time. All because a dispute over the choice of music someone wanted to workout to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom