Serious question about bike storage | GTAMotorcycle.com

Serious question about bike storage

sid_for_speed

So the condo board finally threw the book at me and have given me notice to remove my bike from my parking spot as they claim there can't be 2 vehicles parked in 1 parking spot. I kinda knew it was coming since the other day a guy just randomly walked up to me and said "I can't park here'.what to do next?? I checked out storage mart to store the bike in but it's wayyy too expensive (upwards of $200 a month)... :( any other ideas??

A lot of dealers offer winter storage, look there.

Find a friend/family/gf who have a garage who might help

Or see if they your condo can give you another parking spot for a reasonable fee?

1. Move.
2. Make your daily driver a van and park the bike inside it. (might help with the potential theft situation, too)

2. Make your daily driver a van and park the bike inside it. (might help with the potential theft situation, too)

I had actually thought about this for a long distance touring set up, and wondered if a regular sized street bike(not cruisers or tall dirt bikes)
would even fit safely inside a cargo van(possibly on the a stand)

Anyone ever try this?

I know thieves use this set up, but they dont care if the bike is scratched/damaged while they steal it

I had actually thought about this for a long distance touring set up, and wondered if a regular sized street bike(not cruisers or tall dirt bikes)

Anyone ever try this?

I know thieves use this set up, but they dont care if the bike is scratched/damaged while they steal it

I have Safari/Astro vans. You can easily fit 2 bikes, 3 if you're artistic.
I have had Gold Wings, Harleys, all kinds of bikes in those vans. The only bike that hasn't fit was a Honda shadow, with that stupid long swoopy rear fender.

I have a Norton Commando in the back of my van at the moment as I have no where else to put it.

Anyone ever try this?

Do it. I use a Sprinter van for motocross and I love my van. I have a bed at the front that lifts up and underneath i store all my spare parts, tools, chairs etc. It's so much better then using a pick up and I also like not having to deal with a trailer.

A regular cargo van is going to be tighter but still do able.

My company van *cough* race bike hauler is a Ram Promaster. Getting bikes in and out is simple and there's plenty of extra space for other stuff.

Things are a little more crowded with the minivans, and in some cases you might have to remove mirrors and/or windshields to do it. The Astro is the best for this, and they're old and cheap (and mostly ragged). The compact cargo vans, Nissan NV200, Promaster City, Ford Transit Connect are another choice, and they're compact enough to be used as a daily driver (my full size van is not!) but check the length, and the height of the back door opening, some of them might need the front wheel of a bike put between the front seats.

Years back, a friend of mine (fellow roadracer) got some trouble from the city of Mississauga for parking a trailer in his driveway (not allowed - city bylaw). The solution was to sell the trailer and buy a very rusty and very ugly 1980 Ford van that was far more of an eyesore than his (decent-looking) enclosed trailer ever was. But ... it was roadworthy (barely) and there was nothing the neighbors or the city could say about it.

So the condo board finally threw the book at me and have given me notice to remove my bike from my parking spot as they claim there can't be 2 vehicles parked in 1 parking spot. I kinda knew it was coming since the other day a guy just randomly walked up to me and said "I can't park here'.what to do next?? I checked out storage mart to store the bike in but it's wayyy too expensive (upwards of $200 a month)... :( any other ideas??

tough situation
question goes beyond storage - a problem that $ can solve

come riding season
having the bike in storage will suck
you're gonna want it at home

maybe the problem is the car?
can you live without that?
or find somewhere to park it
and keep the condo spot for just the bike?

tough situation
question goes beyond storage - a problem that $ can solve

come riding season
having the bike in storage will suck
you're gonna want it at home

maybe the problem is the car?
can you live without that?
or find somewhere to park it
and keep the condo spot for just the bike?

Car needs the spot...it pays the bills...bike is a nice to have toy...so no bike can't replace the car...unless I move to Miami...

That sucks. Is moving an option? When I lived in a condo the manager told me I was allowed to park the bike and car in the same spot as long as they both fit within the lines.

That sucks. Is moving an option? When I lived in a condo the manager told me I was allowed to park the bike and car in the same spot as long as they both fit within the lines.

Legally speaking the parking situation is controlled by the rules and regulations of the condo corporation, condo bylaws plus some civic bylaws, fire lanes etc. Some of those things are easier to change than others and they can change for the better or change for the worse. Some require a massive all-present majority vote while others go with a hand count.

All it takes is one resident to get into a snit and it might not have anything to do with a bike in the building. A person gets buzzed by a lane splitting squid while out driving and suddenly goes on a crusade against bikes in general. Same with loud pipes.

I've been dealing with property managers for close to thirty years and heard the stories. Mrs A doesn't like Mr. B and because Mr B drives a pickup truck she wants all pickups banned from the garage. Her oil dripping rusty fifteen year old Caravan is OK but B's new $100,000 pickup degrades the property.

Property management is a competitive field as the owners constantly look for monthly savings. All it takes is one busy body to get the PM worrying about the contract renewal and the PM changes his / her mind about a bike being parked in the same spot as a car. The fact that a subcompact and a bike take up less space that a 1973 Buick LeSaber is irrelevant.

If you are a renter in the building you have no say in running it.

I had a Safari van and never thought a Goldwing would fit. Length was doable and 43" width OK but the height was the problem. Plus pushing the pig up a ramp was my idea of biking.

I wish I had a solution to your storage problem but the others have pretty much given their thoughts.

Not mentioned is a co-op approach. Rent an enclosed car space ($300?) and share with 3-4 others.

The co-op plan might cause you more grief than you expect letting you understand the problems property managers face.

Last edited:
Friend or family close by with a space may be your best bet.
Moving is a bit of an extreme solution...

Look for a second parking spot to rent (post flyers in your bldg if allowed).

Does the letter you received give you a deadline for moving the bike?

Every condo is different and have different rules. As long as you are within the lines of that parking spot and not going outside the boundary of the space provided for your unit I would ask the board to show you in writing where it says one vehicle per space only. If they can't then they have no right to force you to remove the motorcycle until they have a meeting and amend their bylaws to specifically state only one vehicle per space.

I would also be an a**hole and obtain a copy of the bylaws if you haven't already received one when you moved in. I would then go around and note every infraction I saw and complain to the board to have it rectified. Maybe they'd get sick of hearing from you and leave you alone.

Every condo is different and have different rules. As long as you are within the lines of that parking spot and not going outside the boundary of the space provided for your unit I would ask the board to show you in writing where it says one vehicle per space only. If they can't then they have no right to force you to remove the motorcycle until they have a meeting and amend their bylaws to specifically state only one vehicle per space.

I second this.

I also live in North York and may be able to help. Drop me a PM.

I would also be an a**hole and obtain a copy of the bylaws if you haven't already received one when you moved in. I would then go around and note every infraction I saw and complain to the board to have it rectified. Maybe they'd get sick of hearing from you and leave you alone.

Before you go off on a legal tangent make sure you know your enemy and your rights. Think twice before trying to sue a lawyer. If the rest of the owners are retirees don't expect the same consideration as a building with a young demographic.

First of all are you an owner or a tenant? Tenants have virtually no rights with respect to asking the PM to do anything. The tenant would have to go through the owner who may not care about your parking problem.

Be aware that your parking spot is common element as is your balcony. You just have exclusive use of that piece of concrete.

Be aware of the differences between declarations, rules and regulations, condominium bylaws and condominium policies.

Important concepts that condominium owners should know are:

declaration and description
by-laws
rules
policies

Declaration and description

The declaration and description are the legal documents that create a condominium corporation. The declarant (developer or builder) prepares these documents and files them in the land registry office. This process is referred to as registering the condominium.

The declaration includes information, such as:

The street address of the condominium.
The mailing address of the condominium, if it is different from the street address.
How much each unit will pay for common expenses, expressed as a percentage of the total budget.
Which parts of the building will be exclusive use common elements, like balconies.
The description provides:

A survey showing the boundaries of the property;
A description of all the elements and assets that are included in the property.
Diagrams showing the shape and dimensions of each unit.
A description of what is included as part of each unit. For example, a condo unit may not include a front door. The front door may be a common element, which would prevent the owner from painting it a different colour.
The declaration and description can only be changed if over 80% of the owners agrees to this change. For example, if there are 100 units in the condominium, over 80 owners, depending on what the amendment deals with, would need to agree to a change.

By-laws to govern how the corporation is run

By-laws describe how the condominium corporation is to govern itself. By-laws can deal with a wide range of matters, such as:

how directors are elected
how common expenses are assessed and collected
when/how the condominium can borrow money
maintenance of common elements and units
By-laws must be reasonable and consistent with the Act and declaration. The condominium board of directors can make, amend, or repeal by-laws, and owners can provide input.

By-laws do not come into force until they are:

Approved by a majority of owners at a meeting called for the purpose. The requirement for a majority can be changed by regulation under the Act.
Registered in the land registry office.
Rules - helping owners get along with one another
Rules promote everyone's safety, security, and welfare. They help ensure all owners can enjoy living in their condominium and protects your property and the condominium's assets.

For example, rules can:

Restrict the use visitors make of common elements.
Prevent owners from renting out their units for short periods of time.
Limit the number or size of pets allowed in the building.
The condominium board of directors can make, amend or repeal a rule. Rules must be consistent with the Act and declaration.

When changing rules, the board must:

Notify owners about any changes they want to make before those changes become effective.
Provide all owners with written notice of the rule at least 30 days before it becomes effective.
Owners who do not like the rule can act to change it or stop it from becoming effective. For instance, an owner can request an owners' meeting.

Policies - everyday rules to guide the condominium

The Condominium Act specifies which issues require a by-law. But some governance issues do not need to be in a by-law, nor do they need to become rules. Therefore, the board may prepare policies to address such issues.

For example, the board may establish a policy regarding contracts. This policy might require the board to get three quotes before awarding a contract, helping ensure the condominium gets the right deal.

Owners are not directly affected by policies. End Quote

Specifically permitted or specifically banned.

In medicine, generally speaking, you can't do anything unless it is specifically permitted.

On the street you can do just about anything unless it is specifically banned. Many bans are covered by general terms ie vandalism. lewd behavior etc.

Has the OP read the R&R's, bylaws etc to see if the above issues have been covered? If it's a bylaw issue and it goes against you you could get the second vehicle booted in 30 days.

everyone is different
but I get better results
by starting with honey
rather than straight to vinegar

Back
Top Bottom