Experience with smart watches and motorcycling? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Experience with smart watches and motorcycling?

stickman88

This came across my mind but would smart watches be a good idea for when we are in or bikes? I’m not really sure what a smart watch can actually do but if anybody has one and want to share their experience please do. I was thinking it would be good for gps situations?

also I’m not talking about the $200 or $300 price tags on the apple or Samsung smart watches but maybe just any basic smart watch will do.

What you guys think?

a screen that small
and having to take a hand off the controls to see it
sounds like a real hazard to me

but YMMV

suppose it may work for a squid
but properly geared up
a watch is completely covered

Not a winner from my perspective.

I haven't seen one with a long enough strap to go comfortably over a jacket/glove and I don't like exposed skin so I couldn't see it on my wrist. I haven't tried operating a smartwatch with gloves on but I can't imagine it works well.

Gps on a smart watch would be pretty damned horrendous with the tiny screen.

For quickly checking a message/answering the phone or controlling music they may have their place but I'd still rather have the phone mounted where I could see it to use as a proper GPS or put away to avoid distractions.

I just don't see much upside to the smartwatch.

I have an Apple watch 3 and the only thing I could think of is the vibration on my wrist when it is getting ready for a turn when on a route. Your wrists are covered when riding if wearing jacket and gloves so it would serve no real use while riding. Now off riding and say there was an accident and you are conscious still, well the Apple watch has an SOS feature you can tap and get help, that is about it.

Now off riding and say there was an accident and you are conscious still, well the Apple watch has an SOS feature you can tap and get help, that is about it.

That's helpful and why I normally ride with my phone in my pocket. It would be convenient to have the phone out, but I don't want to be crawling around in a ditch looking for it (thankfully I have never been in this situation but riding alone most of the time it is always a possibility). The most tragic stories are where people survive the crash and die (or suffer catastrophic injuries) due to lack of help afterwards.

the Apple watch will actually call 911 automatically if it detects the accident, was in an accident in the fall and my friends watch detected the accident and called 911 while he was unconscious. That alone is why I'm getting one for the spring

the Apple watch will actually call 911 automatically if it detects the accident, was in an accident in the fall and my friends watch detected the accident and called 911 while he was unconscious. That alone is why I'm getting one for the spring

Did not know about that feature. I wonder how it detects you were in an accident though.

Did not know about that feature. I wonder how it detects you were in an accident though.

Probably accelerometer going nuts followed by stopping moving.

How far about can an apple watch be from the phone and maintain the connection?

Personally, I’d don’t like wearables. Maybe if you want to track your steps and heart rate etc.

Otherwise, I’ve got a phone and I have a Sena that syncs to my phone. Can listen to music and podcasts and take calls or make them etc.

I wouldn’t want to “look” at my wrist and the screen size is too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Less distractions more riding and eyes on the road.
"KISS"

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Apple Watch and riding offroad (by that I mean single track to motocross) does not work well. I can count the amount of times mine puts itself in airplane mode, or water lock, or various other things.

I ride with a guy that wears a garmin fenix 3 that he loves. It works great for him so I bought one too to wear while riding.

I think it's a good thing my Apple Watch doesn't work well while I'm riding, because it would have called 911 a few times for sure. Lol.

inb4 we find out the guy rides squid

On a serious note, I don't see what value a smart watch would bring while riding.

Hell, I don't see the benefit of a cell phone either (while riding). I'd rather be focused on the road than on any screen or device for safety purposes.

Agreed.Awareness is everything on two wheels.I hesitated mounting my gps on my new ride,but it's better than looking down at a paper map i guess.Cellphone mounted in the same place with notifications coming in.Nope,that's distracted riding even if you never touch it.Stupidity.
P1210071_zpsxfmfdg4j.jpg

Back
Top Bottom