Experience with smart watches and motorcycling? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Experience with smart watches and motorcycling?

Apple Watch and riding offroad (by that I mean single track to motocross) does not work well. I can count the amount of times mine puts itself in airplane mode, or water lock, or various other things.

I ride with a guy that wears a garmin fenix 3 that he loves. It works great for him so I bought one too to wear while riding.

I think it's a good thing my Apple Watch doesn't work well while I'm riding, because it would have called 911 a few times for sure. Lol.

Are you saying the bumpy ride put the apple watch in airplane mode without touching the screen?

Agreed.Awareness is everything on two wheels.I hesitated mounting my gps on my new ride,but it's better than looking down at a paper map i guess.Cellphone mounted in the same place with notifications coming in.Nope,that's distracted riding even if you never touch it.Stupidity.
P1210071_zpsxfmfdg4j.jpg

Wait, that's a thing now?

I have owned several smart watches. Use it strictly for working out. Can not see any reason to use it on the motorcycle. Yes, for cycling.
Everything I need is on my Gps. Use it mainly for music.
For the Gps only if I get lost and need to be somewhere specific. If I get lost, don`t really care. That`s half the fun on a motorbike.
I am often told to get lost. Lol.

Got to use the moto 360 for about 2 weeks... was riding then, and other than to stop on side of road real quick to say "hey wifey, imma be late due to horrible traffic" there's not much utility as gear is on top of it.

the sena can do the same thing and do it better, hell you can call.

i still have a smartwatch but one that's more activity driven (garmin vivoactive) with a side-function of smartphone (so i get vibration when text comes in, if its a phone call its a different vibe so i know to check when i stop, etc)

Got to use the moto 360 for about 2 weeks... was riding then, and other than to stop on side of road real quick to say "hey wifey, imma be late due to horrible traffic" there's not much utility as gear is on top of it.

the sena can do the same thing and do it better, hell you can call.

i still have a smartwatch but one that's more activity driven (garmin vivoactive) with a side-function of smartphone (so i get vibration when text comes in, if its a phone call its a different vibe so i know to check when i stop, etc)

With modern bikes they have a lot of the smart phone features in the bike. I can answer or make calls without taking my hands of the grips, same for changing music, zooming in and out of my nav, quickly plotting a route home and checking everything else that is going on in my bike. Really can't think of anything my bike cannot do that my Apple watch can... save for the SOS feature. Newer GS's have that feature now though as well.

With modern bikes they have a lot of the smart phone features in the bike. I can answer or make calls without taking my hands of the grips, same for changing music, zooming in and out of my nav, quickly plotting a route home and checking everything else that is going on in my bike. Really can't think of anything my bike cannot do that my Apple watch can... save for the SOS feature. Newer GS's have that feature now though as well.

Pretty sure this is only available at a certain price or style of bike.

Pretty sure this is only available at a certain price or style of bike.

Right now you're probably correct. The actual parts only cost a few dollars so I could see it trickling down to most bikes (similar to bluetooth being in basically every car now even though it was a $1000+/- option 5 years ago).

Right now you're probably correct. The actual parts only cost a few dollars so I could see it trickling down to most bikes (similar to bluetooth being in basically every car now even though it was a $1000+/- option 5 years ago).

Not true, 2013 Optima came standard :cool:

Fine, back up 10 years then, it's the concept that matters not the actual year. It looks like the first car with bluetooth was ~2003, now they all have it.

Just some tongue-in-cheek, I got your point.

seeing how long it took for most bikes to get abs standard....

i wouldn't count on it happening that fast. that's why people are looking at other options like watches and senas as theyre more accessible/affordable.

and in the segments that are starting to see more growth these days (entry level, mid level bikes) those features arent a priority usually as it ends up being aimed at a no frills, best price kind of crowd.

i can't help but think that adding these kind of features is kind of a double edged sword. for cars it's a no brainer, but for motorcycling, the distraction can make a big(ger) difference between life or death

Back
Top Bottom