Slow flight | GTAMotorcycle.com

Slow flight

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Flew from Ottawa to Toronto.

Left for airport at 6:30.

Arrived at the house now.

Makes me think I could have driven faster.

Ottawa is a 4 hour drive, no stops and easy. Done it many times. With having to check in early, pick up luggage etc driving might make more sense.

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

Ottawa can be an easy 4hr drive , or you can have that strip between belleville and kingston make your trip 6-8hrs.

My wife flew to somewhere in Pennsylvania with a colleague for work a few years ago and it took 14 hours. I told her several times that they could have driven it in about 6 hours, but work would pay for airfare, but not mileage ($1000 return in airfare per person vs a few hundred dollars in gas and expenses for both of them) so it was what it was.

But yes, sometimes driving IS faster by the time you add in all the time wasted before/after a flight, etc.

What airline was it? My experience with Porter has been that things move dramatically faster so much of that overhead is reduced.

This time of year is always a gamble. The airports can be delayed from weather.

At the same time, you can run into trouble on the highway with an accident or construction.

I prefer to drive and have the ability to take calls (hands free) listen to music/podcasts audio books and stop for the occasional email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For locations within a 6 or 8 hour drive a car beats a plane most of the time. By the time you drive hours early to the airport, park, check in, fly, rent a car and drive to your destination, the flying is only a small percentage of the time involved.

For locations within a 6 or 8 hour drive a car beats a plane most of the time. By the time you drive hours early to the airport, park, check in, fly, rent a car and drive to your destination, the flying is only a small percentage of the time involved.

So you wouldn't miss the obnoxious cavity search?

Many years back, pre 911 I had to do a trade show in Montreal. The show was downtown as was our hotel as was the train station. I took the train with spacious first class seating and it was great. I vaguely recall a glass of wine and snack.

Coming back was hell. They overloaded the train and it surged like a slinky all the way back to Toronto. So crowded you couldn't take a deep breath. Haven't been on a train since.

They push mass transit, get the cars off the road. Maybe the ones extolling the virtues of mass anything should come down from their ivory towers and try it.

Toronto to Ottawa or Montreal are right on the edge of being a wash between driving vs flying for me. Once you figure in extra time for security, parking or cab to YYZ, then travel at the other end (plus some buffer for all the above) you save maybe 30 minutes.

Toronto to Ottawa or Montreal are right on the edge of being a wash between driving vs flying for me. Once you figure in extra time for security, parking or cab to YYZ, then travel at the other end (plus some buffer for all the above) you save maybe 30 minutes.

I had to do a job in Temiskaming Shores (New Liskeard) and my boss thought it would be faster to fly YYZ to north bay, then rent a car from there than to drive from here. Hells no, that would have taken forever.

I've gone to Montreal for lunch, and back. F# flying that short of a distance. When I traveled weekly for work,
anything under 800 km I would drive. Add up all the time waiting in airport, delays, dealing with rental car, blah.

I've sworn off using any land crossing if the purpose of the trip is work related. Too many hassles. I'll drive to Windsor. I'll fly to Detroit just to not have to deal with the land crossing.

It was Air Canada. Back from Toronto was even longer, but they at least had an excuse (Ice Storm in Ottawa).
Back they cancelled two flights and tried to pack everybody that needed the trip onto the last one.
I did see Pinball Clemons in coach. The taxi from the airport also ended up being more expensive.

Oh well, I got to sleep in my own little bed, last night. :)

The bad thing about switching to Porter or driving, was that it was a connecting flight, so we would have had to make our way between the two airports in Toronto, and parking at Toronto Int'l isn't cheap.

and parking at Toronto Int'l isn't cheap.

Parking at the island airport is much more expensive. Every time I want to use porter, by the time I look at the time and cost to get to the lake it becomes the slower and more expensive option. If you are already downtown, it can be a great option though.

Back
Top Bottom