Buying a “rebuilt title” bike from another province | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a “rebuilt title” bike from another province

theshnizzle

Site Supporter
I’m looking at a good deal on a bike out east. The bike has a rebuilt title. I called the MTO and spoke with them,they said since the bike already has been labelled rebuilt, the structural safety has already been done in that province, all it would need here is the basic safety and it would be good to go here.

Upon reviwing the archives, I read that some people scoffed at something called a structural safety, that there is no such thing, mind you, we are talking archives,so ,not recent history. I realize that reselling a bike with a rebuilt title will be a *****, if I decided to sell it in the future.

that moniker will dog it the rest of its two wheeled life.

It it was suggested to me that some insurance companies will refuse to insure a bike that is rebuilt....does anyone have any info on that? If a bike has passed a structural safety AND has a safety certificate issued, why wouldn’t it be able to be insured? It has jumped through all the required hoops, no?

Interested in in any advice about buying a rebuilt titled bike sight unseen.

The seller has has been decent so far, sent me a super crappy video that was to compressed to play on my phone ,I have requested him to send me lots of good pics,he said he will tonight.

i have contacted a couple of folks from a online forum I am on to ask if anyone could possibly see the bike for me. That’s a pending possibility. I am trying to cover as many bases as possible. Honestly, even if I saw the bike myself, I am not sure I could pick out anything subtle, or even staring me in the face.....ohhhhh,shiny!

I HAVE bought a number of bikes sight unseen all with excellent results( none with a rebuilt title mind you) a lot of that has to do with a vibe you get from the seller. I have spoken with the seller by phone and exchanged texts. Seems decent enough. Sent me a pic of the registration with the rebuilt status so I could show it to the gals down at my local MTO, I asked him to send me a pic and he did.

MTO gals said they would run it through their database, I’m not sure for what results but at least I get info from the horses mouth concerning registering a rebuilt status bike in Ontario. I also have the VIN number.

I would like the the seller to provide a car proof report, I don’t believe he has one. I don’t want to pay for one but I realize it’s sort of a form of insurance, I will know exactly what the damage was and it’s money well spent on a rebuilt unseen bike but I feel that the seller should have that in hand, it bothers me a little that he doesn’t , I know I would.

If if he insists I pay for one, I’m not sure how I would like that, maybe a red flag is ready to think about making an appearance.....

anyway, I thought I would ask the community at large for some suggestions and opinions and good luck bad luck stories.

No idea about this, but can you really be saving that much that the potential headaches are worth it? If out east you need to ship it or pick it up and get it back to Ontario. That there will cost a fair bit. It would have to be a CRAZY too good to be true deal for me to even bother thinking about that with all that could go wrong.

Don't buy it. Whoever you spoke with at the MTO gave you information for cars, rebuilt bikes can't be registered for the road in Ontario.

Don't buy it. Whoever you spoke with at the MTO gave you information for cars, rebuilt bikes can't be registered for the road in Ontario.
This^^^

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

We ride motorcycles, its part of the adventure of motorcycling. Fly n rides are fun.

Interesting since i was specific when I talked with the MTO. I think another phone call to a different office is warranted.

We ride motorcycles, its part of the adventure of motorcycling. Fly n rides are fun.

Interesting since i was specific when I talked with the MTO. I think another phone call to a different office is warranted.

"[h=2]Motorcycles[/h]The "Salvage" and "Rebuilt" brands don't apply to motorcycles. A motorcycle is branded as "Irreparable" where there is frame damage that requires replacement.
Motorcycles are more susceptible than cars to fraudulent registration. The "Irreparable" brand allows for the tracking of resale parts to help law enforcement reduce motorcycle theft and the laundering of stolen motorcycle parts."

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/vehicle-branding-program.shtml

The common theme through most of these threads is the gross incompetence of many Driver and Vehicle Licensing employees. Sometimes this works in your favour as you can get things that shouldn't be allowed. In this case, I would be very concerned that the computers wouldn't allow the transaction to proceed (like the poor guy last year with the Honda).

As others have said, unless this bike is basically being given away I can't see this being worth the effort. Anything you thought you saved on the purchase you will lose when you resell it.

Last edited:
in Ontario?
All imported motorcycles previously branded "Salvage," "Rebuilt" or an equivalent brand are branded "Irreparable" when registered in Ontario. This means that the vehicle will never be eligible to be driven on Ontario roads. The regular green vehicle permit is still issued.
A permit is not issued for vehicles that are "wrecked," which means they have been crushed or dismantled.
There are no exemptions from this requirement.

I did call another MTO office and they didn’t have the information at hand, they promised to call me back once they found out.

Suprise!!, someone actually did call me back, like within 10 minutes! Ya gotta love the small rural offices.

She confirmed anything coming into ontario that that has been repaired and on the road in other provinces or states is automatically branded irreparable here even if it has passed mandatory tests and been deemed roadworthy in other jurastictions.

No such thing as structural safety for bikes in Ont. Got this from a guy that did structural safeties on cars that rides. Even some ins. co. reps don't have a clue and ask for one.

It was the MTO Ontario who gave the info about structural safety for a bike. I was VERY SPECIFIC to them I was talking about a motorcycle. Funny how one office can actually call you back in very short order and another is passing on erroneous information.

I would take the advice of the very knowledgeable riders here.
Not worth the risk.
Forget it and look for something else.
Lots of bikes here and I would trust most of the riders here.
If you need help and the right information, you have lots of choices, riders that will check a bike. (For a small fee)
Don`t be taken in by the seller. His influence should not be considered. It`s your hard earned money.
Personally, I would touch it with a barge pole. Too many negatives.

No idea how or why but my wife's first bike was a 1996 ninja 250. Was a US bike. Said "rebuilt" right on the Ontario Ownership, also said "fit".
I think being an older bike the rules may have changed later.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

contract workers at Service Ontario are not necessarily up on all the regs
I'd trust the info on the MTO website over word of mouth from an individual

good choice OP

If you are going to go forward get it in writing from the MTO. Saying someone told you on the phone after is not going to help.

If you are going to go forward get it in writing from the MTO. Saying someone told you on the phone after is not going to help.

He already posted that he has informed the seller he is out, so nothing more to do with MTO or Service Ontario.

Just for the record OP if you called a rural or small office you were talking to Service Ontario NOT the MTO. MTO office for licensing etc is in Kingston. They are the ONLY ones who can provide accurate info, (although at times I question that)..lol. Service Ontario are akin to franchisee operations. Staff are often not up on the regs.

Got a linky to the "poor guy with the honda" thread? Sounds interesting.

I'm not a NooB btw. I don't post much. I saw that I have been here since 07...151 posts lol.

I'm busy riding!

I was interested in the bike for the price point considering where I was planning to take it. Any of the older members wanna guess where?....: )

Got a linky to the "poor guy with the honda" thread? Sounds interesting.

I'm not a NooB btw. I don't post much. I saw that I have been here since 07...151 posts lol.

I'm busy riding!

I was interested in the bike for the price point considering where I was planning to take it. Any of the older members wanna guess where?....: )

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-written-off-bike-street-legal-major-screw-up

I think he ended up parting it out to try to recover some money.

"thanks-your right.I`ll have to pay for my mistake and stupidity. a couple of minutes worth of investigating would have saved me.The seller is long gone and my dream of owning a mint SP is gone now too as well as a lot of cash.Thanks everyone for your help and hope others learn from me on the dangers that are out there."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom