Buying a “rebuilt title” bike from another province | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a “rebuilt title” bike from another province

The frame bears the VIN and if the frame is completely replaced the new frame will have a RBT registration number.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-written-off-bike-street-legal-major-screw-up

I think he ended up parting it out to try to recover some money.

"thanks-your right.I`ll have to pay for my mistake and stupidity. a couple of minutes worth of investigating would have saved me.The seller is long gone and my dream of owning a mint SP is gone now too as well as a lot of cash.Thanks everyone for your help and hope others learn from me on the dangers that are out there."

tough situation.....I would have put it back up for sale in Manitoba
parting out a bike would be a huge PITA, dealing with one buyer is bad enough
but who knows about his situation that drove the decision to part out

"[h=2]Motorcycles[/h]The "Salvage" and "Rebuilt" brands don't apply to motorcycles. A motorcycle is branded as "Irreparable" where there is frame damage that requires replacement.
Motorcycles are more susceptible than cars to fraudulent registration. The "Irreparable" brand allows for the tracking of resale parts to help law enforcement reduce motorcycle theft and the laundering of stolen motorcycle parts."

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/vehicle-branding-program.shtml

I owned a bike with BC plates and ownership with "rebuilt" clearly printed on the ownership.

The person who bought it from me here in ontario has it plated and insured on the road now. 78 goldwing.

Was so easy you wouldn't believe it. He took the ownership and photocopied the ownership with a piece of paper over the words rebuilt - went to mto with the photo copy as ownership and switched it over to ontario ownership. not recommended.

EDIT-was 1999.

Last edited:
Don't buy it. Whoever you spoke with at the MTO gave you information for cars, rebuilt bikes can't be registered for the road in Ontario.

This.

The laws changed. It’s all electronic now. More clueless service Ontario employees giving out bad info. If you got it on paper and then bought the bike you could probably sue them for the wasted money, and win. It’ll probably take that to happen before they train people better.

This.

The laws changed. It’s all electronic now. More clueless service Ontario employees giving out bad info. If you got it on paper and then bought the bike you could probably sue them for the wasted money, and win. It’ll probably take that to happen before they train people better.

Not really a lack of training,

the people could give 2 ***** about their jobs, i've met some i could swear were high on some sort of medication(like mentioning something, then repeating again 3 seconds later because the person has no recollection)

They are eager to get money from you though, its almost like the people who failed tax school went to work at MTO.

Perhaps they dont get paid enough to care(dont know what their wages are)

Not really a lack of training,

the people could give 2 ***** about their jobs, i've met some i could swear were high on some sort of medication(like mentioning something, then repeating again 3 seconds later because the person has no recollection)

They are eager to get money from you though, its almost like the people who failed tax school went to work at MTO.

Perhaps they dont get paid enough to care(dont know what their wages are)
My SIL worked at service ontario, after 3 years she was at $14/hour.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I don't doubt that both of the above posts are the primary reason why people aren't exactly highly trained at SO outlets, but I stand fast that eventually someones going to sue one of them over a situation like this. Going through all the time and expense of buying a motorcycle from another province only to find out that it's only worth part-out value here because of the fact a SO employee fed you bad information could be a costly experience.

I don't doubt that both of the above posts are the primary reason why people aren't exactly highly trained at SO outlets, but I stand fast that eventually someones going to sue one of them over a situation like this. Going through all the time and expense of buying a motorcycle from another province only to find out that it's only worth part-out value here because of the fact a SO employee fed you bad information could be a costly experience.

Would be a LONG shot to sue a SO outlet, and it's employee, UNLESS it was put in writing. If they just told the wrong info, how would you ever prove it. It would be a he said, she said scenario. VERY tough to prove when the employee swears they never said what you claim they did or that you simply misheard and misinterpreted what you were told.

Would be a LONG shot to sue a SO outlet, and it's employee, UNLESS it was put in writing. If they just told the wrong info, how would you ever prove it. It would be a he said, she said scenario. VERY tough to prove when the employee swears they never said what you claim they did or that you simply misheard and misinterpreted what you were told.

As long as one party knows it's happening, you are legally allowed to record calls in Canada correct? If I really wanted to go down this road, I would call a few offices and record all of the responses and names of the employees giving them. It would make things easier later. That's too much of a dick move for me though as I suspect the low-wage employees would get significant blowback instead of the system improving.

I'm guessing that if you go with any good lawyers(not the "we dont get paid till you get paid" ones)

it'll cost you more money+time+headache than it will the state which has much deeper pockets

Besides, I'm not in the habit of kicking the poor when they are already down.

If your about to enter a shady deal/situation better to do your homework/due diligence before hand, otherwise its just shame on me for being stupid

UNLESS it was put in writing.

Not necessarily;

As long as one party knows it's happening, you are legally allowed to record calls in Canada correct? If I really wanted to go down this road, I would call a few offices and record all of the responses and names of the employees giving them.

Yep.

I'm guessing that if you go with any good lawyers(not the "we dont get paid till you get paid" ones)

it'll cost you more money+time+headache than it will the state which has much deeper pockets

For a cheap bike, sure, but for someone who bought a very expensive bike and got financially hosed because of it, a few thousand dollars in lawyers fees would be worth it, and you KNOW that there's the spiteful ones out there who would do it just to make a point and get SO to smarten up and provide some additional training to their employees, many of whom are well known (simply search here) to give out just plain wrong information.

Listen, I wouldn't be "this" person either, because first off I do due diligence and some homework before getting into these sorts of situations (same as OP did right here, bravo) but others are not so wise. Eventually the wrong one will get taken for a ride and decide they want to do something about it.

It's well known that even Can Revenue employees give out wrong info about 40% of the time. What happened about that? Not much.

A lot of government employees have immunity from prosecution - rightly or wrongly. There are some circumstances where I can see why it has to be like that.

I think it is something like false information given by a Government employee is acceptable. However, if us, the public give false information we can be charged criminally.

For a cheap bike, sure, but for someone who bought a very expensive bike and got financially hosed because of it

I think the only reason anyone would even go through this sort of thing, buying a questionable title and bringing it from another province, is because it will have to be cheap, if its expensive, why bother when you can get a clean one that's in Ontario

Glad I read this thread. I have an 07 CBR here in BC. It was a write off, I bought it cheap. Repaired it and had it inspected at a provincial inspection facility and had it passed.

My registration says "Rebuilt"

So you guys are saying that if I bring this bike back with me, I can't plate\insure it?

Please say it ain't so

that is correct
you cannot get an Ontario Fit registration
nor a license plate for Rebuilt branded motorcycles

Back
Top Bottom