recommendation for a BIKE to ride around town | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

recommendation for a BIKE to ride around town

Dual sport like mentioned a few times is a good suggestion. If you don't like to work on your stuff often then DRZ400, WR250R, KLX 250 would all serve you pretty well. Dual sports are pretty awesome around town, you sit up nice and tall so can see pretty much everything, a little longer travel suspension soaks up the potholes etc, handle a lot better then you would expect. Seats generally suck for riding longer then an hour or two and they aren't a whole lot of fun on the hwy. Those would be the only two negatives imo.

Looks like a nice bike but possible something with a little more power if I decide to take it to Dover one day.

I thought it was duel sport?

Don't get a scooter, OP. They are not cool.

The forks on that tw200 look ready to snap at the first pothole.
Ewwwww....burned.

The forks on that tw200 look ready to snap at the first pothole.

The TW or the Van Van will hold up to a lot more than you think. Check out the videos on YouTube. There's a reason that Yamaha is still selling TW's without changing anything on the bike since the 80's!

CB350F
fc4683426fb6ebb724bb4fb04aac71c5.jpg

Or if you prefer a twin, CB350
601a1a1e7502a37df98f1c78cb76f010.jpg

The TW or the Van Van will hold up to a lot more than you think. Check out the videos on YouTube. There's a reason that Yamaha is still selling TW's without changing anything on the bike since the 80's!

I think you underestimate just how many apple fritters I have consumed in the last decade. Not that Tim Horton's junk, we're talking the real deal from San Remo Bakery. However, as a real motorcycle I agree the TW200 should get at least one nod, possibly two.

Love those vintage Hondas. The chicken wing logo has always amused me though. The Detroit Red Wings got it right.

Last edited:
Where is this San Remo of which you speak?

OP buy whatever you fancy, we have moved on to fritters.

Royal York Road, south of Evans/QEW. Old School Italian bakery/lunch counter. Expanded and modernized in 2015 (?). I think the kids of the original owner decided to keep going, instead of becoming app developers. God bless them if true. Pricing decent, though the reno bumped them up a bit. The food is excellent overall, IMO. Few can mount a defense against the doughnuts, the fritters in particular. As long as you make the sign of the cross, it's okay to eat three in a row. Father, Son, Holy Ghost.

The OP should ride his duel sport there and wink at the cute pastry counter girls. If you listen carefully, they will make you blush. Remember, they dig riders on motorcycles...not scooters.

I'd Say Scooter, But that was Already Covered, so seeing as your used to riding a Cruiser, then how about a smaller Cruiser, something like a Honda Rebel(a Old 250 or New 300)?

Last edited:
I gain weight just perusing the San Remo Insta acct.

Nothing wrong with a scooter for around town. Cool is what you make it.
Own that ish.

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Suzuki TU250x
Honda Rebel 300

Both lightweight and built for the city. Say away from the Kawasaki Versys 300, it gets a lousy 50mpg because of the huge cam. Van van is geared and doesn't have enough top-end for the occasional hwy run.

Looks like a nice bike but possible something with a little more power if I decide to take it to Dover one day.

Dover would be a nice adventure on a scooter
the journey, and the pirates would love you attending

but seriously, TW200 is a neat little bike
and they last forever

Stick with your instincts - the Ninja 300 is a great around the city bike. I've always kept a small city bike - I went from a TS200 Suzuki, to a TW200, to a Ninja 250. The Ninja was the best of the bunch. Ninja 300 looks like a sport bike, but they are really setup like a sport tourer, the riding position is more upright and pegs let you take some of the bounce from rough city roads. I've comfortably ridden mine 600KM/day and you'll have no trouble keeping up as long as your friends run below 140kmh.

If you are interested in the Ninja 300 I recommend the Yamaha R3 also. I had one for 1.5 years and it was great on fuel, has a better maintenance schedule (valve check intervals are longer) and was a blast for city riding. My buddy used to have a DRZ400 and he loved using that for riding around town and short trips out of the city.
Good luck and let us know what you end up getting!

i also vote for scooter for city. That is what i have and use. The Yamaha FZ07 for longer trips. Only keep it insured April 15 to Oct 14 I have a Yamaha Smax scooter 155cc i insure all year.

Scooters are great if...

• you're man enough to be seen on one
  • you never never leave the city confines

About the only scooter I know that you could take on a non-freeway road trip would be something like a Honda Refex, you can tell everyone its a baby ST1300.

If you plan your trips to regional roads, a scooter could take you anywhere.
If your cool, your scooter will be cool.

I'm headed into downtown TO today for the boat show, and stopping at the SanRemo for a fritter. Thanks boys.

Back
Top Bottom