LF: Tips on using Garmin Base camp | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

LF: Tips on using Garmin Base camp

For those in need.DSP is holding a seminar nite Feb 6th,6pm to 9pm. http://www.dualsportplus.com/Default.asp
GPS%20nite_zpseipjnseq.png

Last edited:
Well I am still trying to figure out my needs and costs. It's not that I don't see waterproofing not being useful just the added cost of it.

I've only started riding last summer, I found my old TomTom GPS and attached it to the bike. Works fine for the most part. Haven't really ridden in rain, something I am generally trying to avoid. But as my experience grows and I want to do some multi day trips I am sure rain will be unavoidable.

Now I am thinking more about this, how do you all deal with sunshine hitting the GPS. I found the screen would be washed out completely and couldn't see anything? Or do new models have brighter screens, anti glare?

The Zumo screens have anti glare. It is not perfect but they can still be read. Some people also get after market 3D printed visors made for their devices to add a little protection as well.

So I have been play around with Basecamp to get a feel of it, eventhough I do not have a Garmin GPS. I installed open source maps.

I can see what the confusion is about this program, it has a wide set of uses, but at the same time they don't do themselves any favours by describing stuff they way they do. You have routes, tracks, lists, trips, adventures... In reality it is all the same stuff. Just call it all routes. Also the find feature is very weak. I mean it is antiquated. With this day and age of Google Maps and how it is kinda smart they should implement a smarter find tool. I only have a map of Ontario loaded, I wanted to find my parents address. I had to type in Toronto and Canada before it came up with anything remotely close....<facepalm>.To me this is bad and can make finding locations and waypoints frustrating.

I will continue exploring other software to see what works better/worse.

So been playing around some more with route planning.

Tyre - it interesting, straight to the point. Basically google maps with a application wrapper. Some annoying dialogue boxes slowing things down. I think the web version is better, MyRoute app. The searching for waypoints is cleaner.
Furkot - another googlemap based route planner. Weird interface. But I like the discovery or landmark feature idea.

For now until I get a Garmin, I'll stick with MyRoute App for my TomTom.

So I have been play around with Basecamp to get a feel of it, eventhough I do not have a Garmin GPS. I installed open source maps.

I can see what the confusion is about this program, it has a wide set of uses, but at the same time they don't do themselves any favours by describing stuff they way they do. You have routes, tracks, lists, trips, adventures... In reality it is all the same stuff. Just call it all routes. Also the find feature is very weak. I mean it is antiquated. With this day and age of Google Maps and how it is kinda smart they should implement a smarter find tool. I only have a map of Ontario loaded, I wanted to find my parents address. I had to type in Toronto and Canada before it came up with anything remotely close....<facepalm>.To me this is bad and can make finding locations and waypoints frustrating.

I will continue exploring other software to see what works better/worse.

I find the search works much better if you zoom in closer to the area you are searching. So if you know you are searching for an address in Toronto zoom in so Toronto is the main and largest focus on the screen. It certainly is a weak spot, but knowing that you can work around as I mentioned. I have attached a screen shot searching for 1 Blue Jays Way in Toronto. First is zoomed out as you will see and it does not find the address. Second is zoomed in much closer and it comes up.

Thanks, I will have to try it again, not sure if I did try it that way or not. Was going a little starcrazy yesterday testing all the different programs and tools.

I see you are on a Mac as well. :cool: Curious what other tools you might use?
The only thing I am looking for now is finding interesting roads to ride on, or sights to see. Not sure if there is a specific resource for something like that.

Now I am thinking more about this, how do you all deal with sunshine hitting the GPS. I found the screen would be washed out completely and couldn't see anything? Or do new models have brighter screens, anti glare?

On the Garmin side, the top Zumo 595 model and most of the hiking units come with a transflective display, while the Zumo 395 and most of the automotive units do not. Unlike a conventional display, a transflective display can be clearly seen in direct sunlight even with the backlight off. The Zumo 595 is a lot more expensive than the Zumo 395, though. But you can load the road maps on the cheaper hiking units (with transflective displays) if you're willing to skip the bells and whistles of the Zumos like bluetooth headset connectivity.

Thanks, I will have to try it again, not sure if I did try it that way or not. Was going a little starcrazy yesterday testing all the different programs and tools.

The only thing I am looking for now is finding interesting roads to ride on, or sights to see. Not sure if there is a specific resource for something like that.

No other mapping tools, Basecamp has everything I need for plotting my routes. I will google search areas I am going for good biking stuff as well as ask in regional forums for the area I am going on www.advrider.com and see what locals recommend. That has always been a fantastic place for good ideas that are not always on the touristy websites.

For the basic plotting you really do not need anything other then what I listed earlier.

Once your route is done, or at least partially put together you can right click on the route in Basecamp and view in google earth. This converts your route and opens it in google earth so you can use the sat view that google offers to really inspect the areas you are going. Find that handy and useful.

On the Garmin side, the top Zumo 595 model and most of the hiking units come with a transflective display, while the Zumo 395 and most of the automotive units do not. Unlike a conventional display, a transflective display can be clearly seen in direct sunlight even with the backlight off. The Zumo 595 is a lot more expensive than the Zumo 395, though. But you can load the road maps on the cheaper hiking units (with transflective displays) if you're willing to skip the bells and whistles of the Zumos like bluetooth headset connectivity.

I have no interest in the bluetooth and other gadgety features. Just reasonable price and good routing from what I have planned out.
I may end up just buying a Auto model and put some plastic on in when it rains. Low tech solution =)

I am curious I guess the Zumo line also only has the curvey road feature. Does anyone even use this?

No other mapping tools, Basecamp has everything I need for plotting my routes. I will google search areas I am going for good biking stuff as well as ask in regional forums for the area I am going on www.advrider.com and see what locals recommend. That has always been a fantastic place for good ideas that are not always on the touristy websites.

For the basic plotting you really do not need anything other then what I listed earlier.

Once your route is done, or at least partially put together you can right click on the route in Basecamp and view in google earth. This converts your route and opens it in google earth so you can use the sat view that google offers to really inspect the areas you are going. Find that handy and useful.

Nice, I will have to check out ADVrider. I have seen it mentioend elsewhere before a few times.

I recently found this http://www.gotourontario.ca/?lng=en
Has some motorcycle routes. Some look interesting, could use parts of the route depending what I am up to.

I have no interest in the bluetooth and other gadgety features. Just reasonable price and good routing from what I have planned out.
I may end up just buying a Auto model and put some plastic on in when it rains. Low tech solution =)

I am curious I guess the Zumo line also only has the curvey road feature. Does anyone even use this?

Not sure if they all have it, don't think I have seen it on my Zumo 660 or my BMW Nav V, though I never use the GPS to plan a trip as I do everything in BaseCamp.

You may not want the Bluetooth now, but if you end up touring more it is a great feature to have. I get vocal instructions in my helmet so no need to constantly be looking down and monitoring how close I am to the next turn. I also stream music from my Nav which is fantastic especially when you are just ripping up tons of highway miles to get somewhere. Was out in Colorado and Utah last summer on a solo trip and let me tell you having music certainly helped passed the time and made it that much more enjoyable while riding the incredibly flat boring bits before you get to the mountains. Definitely has a higher price tag for that feature, but waterproof and bluetooth are 2 things I would not do without in a nav unit. Shop around for a used Zumo 660, if you can find one for a good price (I have seen them in the $900 range which is ridiculous) they are worth it and the peace of mind of not needing to worry about a plastic bag for weather protection is worth it alone. Having been in torrential downpours on trips I cannot see some ziplock bag standing up, especially if you are powering the nav with the bike as well, which is another must in my opinion.

I have Zumo 665 for sale. Excellent condition, Life Time maps update, 2 bike's cradles, car cradle, XM radio antenna, original case, etc. Asking $500. Let me know if you're interested

I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 765 for years with this sort of waterproofing.Works great so far.And if it doesn't...meh $150.
[video=youtube;s2UvIoL78Cg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2UvIoL78Cg[/video]

I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 765 for years with this sort of waterproofing.Works great so far.And if it doesn't...meh $150.
[video=youtube;s2UvIoL78Cg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2UvIoL78Cg[/video]

If it works for you great, I would be curious to know if you can use it with your gloves on? $150 is still $150 and not worth it if it is your only nav device and it craps out on you in the middle of a trip.

One of the (many) reasons I like Furkot is that it finds motorcycle roads for you and can integrate them into your route. It also finds points of interest. Both man made and natural and has tons of other features

..Tom

Not sure if they all have it, don't think I have seen it on my Zumo 660 or my BMW Nav V, though I never use the GPS to plan a trip as I do everything in BaseCamp.

You may not want the Bluetooth now, but if you end up touring more it is a great feature to have. I get vocal instructions in my helmet so no need to constantly be looking down and monitoring how close I am to the next turn. I also stream music from my Nav which is fantastic especially when you are just ripping up tons of highway miles to get somewhere. Was out in Colorado and Utah last summer on a solo trip and let me tell you having music certainly helped passed the time and made it that much more enjoyable while riding the incredibly flat boring bits before you get to the mountains. Definitely has a higher price tag for that feature, but waterproof and bluetooth are 2 things I would not do without in a nav unit. Shop around for a used Zumo 660, if you can find one for a good price (I have seen them in the $900 range which is ridiculous) they are worth it and the peace of mind of not needing to worry about a plastic bag for weather protection is worth it alone. Having been in torrential downpours on trips I cannot see some ziplock bag standing up, especially if you are powering the nav with the bike as well, which is another must in my opinion.

You make some good points. A lot of people have said having music or a radio does make it more fun. I am new at all this, I guess I am still in my honeymoon phase of just riding is fun never mind all the little extras.

GP Bikes sells this GPS case to wrap around it with a little visor. Might be worth it.

I am curious about your solo trip to Colorado & Utah. From Toronto / GTA to there?

That is kinda my thinking as well. My old TomTom held up pretty well, nothing glitchy after being wet. Where it is on the bike is shielded a bit behind the windshield as well. Meh..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom