LF: Tips on using Garmin Base camp | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

LF: Tips on using Garmin Base camp

thanks, I appreciate the responses

Maybe this is off topic. I'll be shopping around for a new GPS for the bike. I have a TomTom XL old but works decently. I want to get into route planning and upload to the GPS. I have been using MyRoute App to create a route and export as itn file.
But the TomTom re-interpets it and changes the route, which I don't want it to do.

Curious what you all are doing, are your routes exactly how they are in your planning tool to GPS, which GPS do you have?

Last edited:
Curious what you all are doing, are your routes exactly how they are in your planning tool to GPS, which GPS do you have?
It seems smart phones are slowly becoming a dominant choice for GPS needs on a bike. I prefer my Garmin Nuvi 550 because it's waterproof, has survived some amazing crashes and still works exactly as the day I bought it - for $200 over 7 years ago! It does exactly what I want out of it and no less.

For me, the routes I plot in Tyre are identical to the way it displays on my GPS. Using Tyre I can have the routes saved in any of the common formats like .gdb or .gpx and save them to the computer for later use or to send to people.
As an example, a route like this https://goo.gl/maps/ePZkUswy51q would take about 10 minutes to build and load to the GPS and show up exactly like this. As ReSTored mentioned - it's important to make sure you put enough waypoints down.

I've done 10 day trips down south and pre-loaded all my routes from home in this same way and completed the trips without any issues at all.

Last edited:
It seems smart phones are slowly becoming a dominant choice for GPS needs on a bike. I prefer my Garmin Nuvi 550 because it's waterproof, has survived some amazing crashes and still works exactly as the day I bought it - for $200 over 7 years ago! It does exactly what I want out of it and no less.

For me, the routes I plot in Tyre are identical to the way it displays on my GPS. Using Tyre I can have the routes saved in any of the common formats like .gdb or .gpx and save them to the computer for later use or to send to people.
As an example, a route like this https://goo.gl/maps/ePZkUswy51q would take about 10 minutes to build and load to the GPS and show up exactly like this. As ReSTored mentioned - it's important to make sure you put enough waypoints down.

I've done 10 day trips down south and pre-loaded all my routes from home in this same way and completed the trips without any issues at all.

Yes the phone has become a very multipurpose tool. But it is also more expensive and valuable so I rather keep it tucked away.

Nice route, this is what I would like to plot out.
When you say Tyre, are you using the standalone program, or the web based MyRoute APP
I am a Mac user so there is no Tyre version for me.

@sburns

TomTom Rider 400
bought from a member here
was basically like new in the box

route design done with Tyre on PC
uploaded to device via USB
device never modifies what I choose on Tyre
this be for multi-day trips

for short term planning in the middle of a ride
I use the TomTom My Drive app on the phone
can search out stops like food, gas, lodging etc
send to the GPS via bluetooth
I can sit having a coffee during gas stop
and if the bike is close by
can send the route to GPS without touching it

this setup works very well for me
and while I'd rather have a Zumo
TomToms are quite a bit more affordable

Last edited:
It seems smart phones are slowly becoming a dominant choice for GPS needs on a bike. I prefer my Garmin Nuvi 550 because it's waterproof...

FWIW that Garmin Nuvi has a waterproof rating of IPX7 which means there is no certified protection rating.
Most newer smart phones have a higher rating than that.

@ javaFan

Interesting feedback. I will have to keep it in mind while I do my research.

I think a while back I looked at the TomTom rider and equivalent Garmin for Motorcycles, pricing seemed quite high. Not sure why that was.

But to be honest I have been rubbed a little wrong with TomTom. When I went to update my device this past summer, it immediately locked me out of features I could use. For no apparent reason other then they want you to update to a new device. Luckily I can use MyRoute and export the itn file and locally load it.

I will have to check out Tyre, even if I have to run it in a virtual machine.

@ I82I8 - My I am sure my TomTom XL doesn't have any water rating, it's gotten wet, doesn't seem to be a problem. Well so far..

Nice route, this is what I would like to plot out.
When you say Tyre, are you using the standalone program, or the web based MyRoute APP
I am a Mac user so there is no Tyre version for me.
I am using the standalone version. Not sure why they never made one compatible with the Mac.

FWIW that Garmin Nuvi has a waterproof rating of IPX7 which means there is no certified protection rating.
Most newer smart phones have a higher rating than that.
Interesting. Maybe that stems from the potential leakage from the power port on the bottom? I suspect that if I were to do a river crossing and drop the bike then it might fail when totally submerged. I can say that I have ridden on multi day trips, sometimes in torrential downpours for hours or days on end and the unit has been great.

@ I82I8 - My I am sure my TomTom XL doesn't have any water rating, it's gotten wet, doesn't seem to be a problem. Well so far..

My post was in response to shanekingsley and more to the often mentioned water resistance of GPS's vs. smart phones.
GPS vs. smart phone is a personal decision that everybody has to make himself and while I still have and use a Zumo 660 on my motorcycle, I don't think I'll replace it if it bites the dust.

You can spend a fortune on a Zumo GPS with lots of functionality. I've spend $100 each on Garmin refurb units at Tigerdirect. The 1490T worked very well and accepted GPX route files. Would still be using it if I hadn't dropped it on the garage floor and cracked the outer case..... The 2555LMT replacement I got accepts GPX files as well. I use a RAM mount and if it is raining very heavy I stop and put the GPS in a small baggie and then just snap the unit back into the RAM mount and this makes it virtually waterproof. If my ST gets immersed then the GPS being totally waterproof, or not, will probably be pretty low down on my list of concerns at that point.

Maybe this is off topic. I'll be shopping around for a new GPS for the bike. I have a TomTom XL old but works decently. I want to get into route planning and upload to the GPS. I have been using MyRoute App to create a route and export as itn file.
But the TomTom re-interpets it and changes the route, which I don't want it to do.

When I plot in Basecamp and send to my Nav's it is the same route I plotted. Not sure what the point of plotting anything in another app if your nav would just recalculate and do its own thing when it is loaded.

I use Basecamp with my BMW Nav V (a garmin made for BMW) as well as a Zumo 660 which is now my backup nav. Crossed the country a few times, never an issue with anything plotted save for the unavoidable stuff like construction or roads closed due to an accident.

Going to try the Tyre on the weekend.

New Garmin GPS's (Zumo 595, for instance) have 2 different types of points: waypoint and shape point. They are handled completely differently by GPS. Even though it might look confusing to some people, this feature is very useful. And It's extremely important to select the type of points correctly when creating a route, so you can predict GPS behavior while it recalculates the route, etc.
My question is, does Tyre provide the same feature and allows specify a type of a point? If not, then it seems totally useless for Garmin GPS's when you need to create a complex custom route.

Last edited:
Furkot knows the difference and will insert the proper ones depending on which format you save it (it also knows new Garmin for ie 590 and 595 vs older format ie 660.

..Tom

So apparently you can't play around with Basecamp and garmin maps unless you have a authorized device. But you may be able to use Basecamp with open source maps instead.

Also from what I understand the Zumo line has waterproofing but would the non Zumo models have the same functions? Not sure how much I care for waterproofing.

So apparently you can't play around with Basecamp and garmin maps unless you have a authorized device. But you may be able to use Basecamp with open source maps instead.

Also from what I understand the Zumo line has waterproofing but would the non Zumo models have the same functions? Not sure how much I care for waterproofing.

The Zumo is a motorcycle specific GPS and is built for being out in the elements and is water proof. I have ridden through torrential downpours and been on a trips that involved riding in the rain every single day for weeks and they always work. I would not trust a non Zumo model unless it was stated as a feature that it was water proof.

You do need a Garmin device and basecamp to work, not sure about open source maps, but the eco system is set for Garmin. When you have a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps you are able to directly download the maps onto your computer so no need to have your nav plugged into your computer when you want to plot a trip. This is great as I found basecamp was a bit slow when pulling the maps from the device.

Waterproof is a big thing for me as I ride rain or shine and do not want to lose functionally by covering the device with a ziplock bag. If you never ride in the rain then obviously a Zumo is not worth the extra price tag that feature brings.

Why would you not want waterproofing? (Or a GPS that you can use in the pouring rain with soaking wet gloves?) I can't even remotely think of any way that it would interfere with the use of the device.

..Tom

Well I am still trying to figure out my needs and costs. It's not that I don't see waterproofing not being useful just the added cost of it.

I've only started riding last summer, I found my old TomTom GPS and attached it to the bike. Works fine for the most part. Haven't really ridden in rain, something I am generally trying to avoid. But as my experience grows and I want to do some multi day trips I am sure rain will be unavoidable.

Now I am thinking more about this, how do you all deal with sunshine hitting the GPS. I found the screen would be washed out completely and couldn't see anything? Or do new models have brighter screens, anti glare?

Here is the choice Furkot gives when you want to export:

eoM1dhk.png

It also isn't a dedicated app that you need to install, but a web app that runs in your browser. As a result it should work on just about any browser or connected device (it works fine on my Android phone.)

..Tom

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom