LF: Tips on using Garmin Base camp | GTAMotorcycle.com

LF: Tips on using Garmin Base camp

pfbmgd

I`m trying to use Basecamp . But it appears there is definite leaning curve I that not learned .

Looking for your tips on using this program .

I used Basecamp for a while and hated it - especially compared to Garmin's older offering of Mapsource which I found really simple to use. There are some pretty in depth threads over on ADVrider on getting the most out of Basecamp and some very proficient users of that software. Nowadays, I just use Tyre and find it really easy to plot a complicated route and quickly transfer it to my GPS.

Try this tutorial if you are set on sticking with Basecamp: http://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp.htm

Is tyre compatible with my Garmin Zumo ?

Yes. I like that it looks just like Google Maps when building a route and then you just plug in the Garmin to your computer and can send the file directly to the device in one step. I'm also in Mississauga and if you want some help with it, let me know and I would be happy to give you a quick tutorial that may save you time.

TYRE is also free: http://www.tyretotravel.com/

Is it an old Zumo or a new Zumo? My old Zumo isn't compatible with Basecamp, so I have to use Mapsource with it.

Is it an old Zumo or a new Zumo? My old Zumo isn't compatible with Basecamp, so I have to use Mapsource with it.

It's a 395 lm .

I am the odd one out here, I love basecamp. Not that difficult to use.

I always keep trips organized much like an iTunes playlist:
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 12.57.51 PM by B P, on Flickr

Next you add your locations to the playlist, can be a drop on the map or addresses you add using the search function in the top right. You click the little flag on the location and that adds to your list:
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 12.59.14 PM by B P, on Flickr

Now you make a new route and just drag and drop the locations from your list in the order you want to go and it does the routing. You can drag the route if you want to head over a certain way by simply clicking on the magenta line and dragging it where you want. Maybe I am just used to using it, but the principles seem simple to me. Make a New list for the trip, add the addresses and points I want to visit or just drive by on my trip. Drag and drop them in the order I want and let it route. After that if I can tweak the route manually by dragging the route or simply adding a few more routes to navigate around a city or in the direction I want.

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 1.09.52 PM by B P, on Flickr

The basic tools I use are the "hand" for panning around the map, the scroll on my mouse for zooming in and out and the flag for dropping on a point I want to add to my list. In settings you can define your presets for driving, motorcycle, etc. You can set avoidances there that work when you create a route.
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 1.11.51 PM by B P, on Flickr

Last edited:

Next you add your locations to the playlist, can be a drop on the map or addresses you add using the search function in the top right. You click the little flag on the location and that adds to your list:

Now you make a new route and just drag and drop the locations from your list in the order you want to go and it does the routing. You can drag the route if you want to head over a certain way by simply clicking on the magenta line and dragging it where you want. Maybe I am just used to using it, but the principles seem simple to me. Make a New list for the trip, add the addresses and points I want to visit or just drive by on my trip. Drag and drop them in the order I want and let it route. After that if I can tweak the route manually by dragging the route or simply adding a few more routes to navigate around a city or in the direction I want.

The basic tools I use are the "hand" for panning around the map, the scroll on my mouse for zooming in and out and the flag for dropping on a point I want to add to my list. In settings you can define your presets for driving, motorcycle, etc. You can set avoidances there that work when you create a route.

Thanks your explanation helps .

Thanks your explanation helps .

I use Basecamp a fair bit, not a super expert but I have crossed the continent a few times and mapped everything out in basecamp and never had a problem. It really is pretty basic when you get used to saving points and addresses like songs in a playlist. Then just drag and drop and tweak after if you want to hit something specific.

Good luck and have fun plotting out some trips! I have a whole host of them I want to do eventually.

Thanks.I will try this again.

I have planned an east coast trip using basecamp but after not using it for a couple years there's a learning curve. Definitely not user friendly.

I have planned an east coast trip using basecamp but after not using it for a couple years there's a learning curve. Definitely not user friendly.

Guess it just clicked with me and works how my brain likes to work. I find furkot to be very difficult to use yet many love and find it simple so maybe just me.

I'm with a number of other s here in that I prefer Mapsource to Basecamp but you might have issues using Mapsource with your 390. (If it's like the 590 you have to switch data modes or something like that.)

I have been using FURKOT to plan trips though as (in my not so humble opinion) it works so much better than any other route planning application. It will work with just about any device that can accept routes as it has multiple export formats. It has no advertising, hidden or otherwise, and is no charge. (They make their money when you use their app to book hotels, etc although you don't have to use the app to do that.)

..Tom

I used to use MS Streets and Trips. but now use Tyre. Super easy to learn and I just drag and drop the GPX files in a folder on my GPS.

One thing to keep in mind if you're riding with others is that different mapping programs and how various GPS's upload these may result in slightly different routes unless you have plenty of waypoints. Not really an issue if you follow the leader and don't become separated.

Use basecamp and have mastered it however would like to use Furkot for all the features it offers but I do need to understand how it works. I find myself using the Way points that I have loaded into my Zumo 660 via basecamp and creating the routes on the device or even on the fly by selecting the next favourite as they appear in range.

Have also just loaded Scenic on my iPhone and do like the simplicity for creating routes, but still not sold on using a phone but it is a good option to modele routes once you have left home. You can then modify your route on the device.

Last edited:
I use Trye as well, but find I need to drop a lot of waypoints to keep my GPS from finding creative, and often gravel routes, between the waypoints. Is there something that I am doing wrong? My GPS is a TomTom Rider.

I use Trye as well, but find I need to drop a lot of waypoints to keep my GPS from finding creative, and often gravel routes, between the waypoints. Is there something that I am doing wrong? My GPS is a TomTom Rider.
Using Tyre with a Garmin, I have rarely had that problem and if so, it's usually just for a km or two. Regardless, any time a route is built and moved over to my GPS, I just do a quick preview of it to make sure its the way I intended it to be before I try it out on the road.

I think many people use too few waypoints and the GPS can unintentionally reroute you from your intended course. If you're on a back road somewhere you might not be aware that a side road, often a gravel one, can be seen by the GPS as being a shorter distance to your next waypoint vs. following the curvy road you want to ride. The solution for this is to drop periodic waypoints on the road you want to be on, vs. just one at the start and one at the finish, and this should keep you on track.

Back
Top Bottom